Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 2 Oxford - Post Match Thread

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

1StevieG said:

...a peach of a cross from Greenie setting up Yanns volley...

It didn't look like a peach of a cross to me. From where I was sitting it went behind his target. It was only Yann's ability to throw unfeasible body shapes that turned it into a goal.

I don't think that either Green or Harriott looked that impressive actually, it's only because they followed the disappointing Cook and the absolutely abject Pritchard that they were made to look good in comparison.
    Just watched the goal again and yep it was a peach of a cross.
  • Options
    The thing about Green is he would be top top quality in L2, a very good player in L1, and a hit and miss (mostly miss) luxury in the Championship. He does do well at and against the lower level. Agree he should start in the replay, although he is probably better as an impact sub.
  • Options
    Anyone have a link for the goals?
  • Options
    Cafc7 said:

Anyone have a link for the goals?

I think there is one in this thread somewhere

• Options
    cafctom said:

How much of the speculation of Jordan Cousins being link with a big move to Everton or Villa effected him last night?

My guess would be none. Couldn't fault his effort at all and IMO had a better game than some are suggesting.

He got himself on the ball a lot, was looking up to make passes forward like usual. Just had a couple of poor short passes that went wayward which probably stuck out a lot more.
    He didn't have the best of games but the midfield around him (particularly 1st half) were hopeless, he performs better with Stephens alongside imo. The two wide men gave us nothing, the replacements far better.
  • Options
    Been a bit busy and not had the chance to post earlier, but Sometimes it is better after a time to reflect. The most disappointing thing from my perspective is that we were 2-0 down to a team that weren’t playing above themselves at all. We were trying to be a bit too safe and intricate up front on a difficult pitch and against a defence with numbers back. A few times the wrong option was taken , and a few times the ball was passed to somebody else to create something – ‘cop out football'. Church was busy, but when he was through , albeit at a tight angle, a true striker would cut in a bit and try to get a shot off. He didn't which confirms my biggest reservation about him. The first goal was a total fluke, but we contributed to the conditions where it could occur, and as a fan, I was expecting something like that to happen!

I think the team balance was a bit off – so whilst it was a strongish side- it needed players who could take ownership and try to create. We missed Stephens in the middle, but he was ill. We needed Harriot or Green on the right instead of Pritchard from the start. When we were 2-0 down – I would have made the changes straight away, or at least brought Green on for Pritchard. The other changes should have been Harriot for Cook earlier and Piggott for Wood with 25 to go if we were still chasing - playing 3 up front.

You could put that first half down to rustiness if you are being generous. I didn’t think we were brilliant in the second, but we did look like we were from a higher division at least. I fully expect us to beat them comfortably in the replay and will be quite angry if we don’t.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

We'll win 3-0.
    Remember Portsmouth in the FA Cup in the 70's. 2-2 draw at home and a 3-0 win at Fratton Park in the replay.

• Options

Oxford come straight at us from the off and we looked rusty and disinterested. The miss passes by us just bred more of the same, but they were quite physical, although it seemed perfectly sporting according to the ref... In the 2nd half we came out better and started to fight back. Things improved with the substitutions, especially Green on for Pritchard. Harriot almost nicked a winner in the dying minutes! I don't fancy the replay though!

I think we'll get the result away being as we are a counter-attacking side and their pitch will be so much better than ours! Plus we'll be that little bit match sharper by then too.
    We'll win 3-0.
    Remember Portsmouth in the FA Cup in the 70's. 2-2 draw at home and a 3-0 win at Fratton Park in the replay.

• Options

We'll win 3-0.

I was at Fratton Park for the replay. Didnt Mark Penfold score?
    What happened in next round?
  • Options
    There is a huge recruitment drive for Samaritans going on in Huddersfield right now. We just cannot stomach the prospect of this cup tie at the weekend (we feel the same as you do).

Our fans are resorting to jumping from tall buildings at the though of playing Charlton (again) in front of 5000 fans. At least the tickets are cheap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell, Flanagan & Hope, 27/1/76.

Lost 3-0 at Molineux in the 5th round.
  • Options

i was there ... big turnout for CAFC
  • Options

Blimey - my dads (rip) 38th birthday, maybe why he never let me go. Sure the pompey result at The Valley was 1-1 - was there and to young to be on the bevvie
  • Options
    Yep, you are right. 1-1.
    Got it mixed up with my 1st Valley game in 1970 v Portsmouth, that was 2-2.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    think George Graham was playing for Pompey ?