Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 2 Oxford - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

@CAFCTickets: Replay ticket details. Tues 21st Jan (7.45pm). Adults £19, Students £15.50, Over 65s & U16s £11.50, U7s free. Sales date to follow. #cafc

So they're basically charging us double what we've charged them ? Absolutely disgraceful.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Could have been worse. First half was a shocker and Pritchard and Cook offered nothing on either wing. Introduction of Harriott and Green made the difference with a peach of a cross from Greenie setting up Yanns volley. Jacko could have sealed it near the end with 2 headers, one being cleared off the line.

Good cross from Cook for the first goal though...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    That was proper dross but the upside was I could park nearer the ground and was home indoors 40 mins after the final whistle , when it's usually nearer an hour.
    That p(r)itch was awful
    Painful first half but I thought with a reasonably strong team(for us) that we'd come back into it because Oxford were pretty pony, work rate and effort apart
    When you read the above you just know some of our fans would like an animated manager who is more in to theatrics and playing to the crowd than the calm footballing gods of Curbs and SCP
    SCP didn't panic or make any subs at half time and he stuck with what we had and got his reward 9 mins into the 2nd half with a Morro header pulling one back
    The introduction of Green gave us a bit more oooomph going forward , which was not easy on that saturated pitch, and his trickery led to a nice Kermo finish for the equaliser
    Regarding team selection , whatever SCP did people would have moaned #fact

15% 5th round onwards ........ 70% 4th round exit ........... 15% Oxford pull off a shock !
  • Options
    It seems every week I think that the first half is the worst I have seen this season, but no, match by match our first half performance gets worse.
    Second half I thought we were much improved and should have won.

Did the ref really not book anyone? Along with his lino on the West stand side they verged on the dangerous with some of the challenges that went completely un punished.
    All in all a reminder to self, don't go to these games, nobody seems to care about the cup any more.

Its just depressing
  • Options
    After sleeping on it.... still in the cup and *should* have enough to win the replay, many first teamers and squad players got a run out after the enforced break, did come back from 2 nil down, which does show character.....could be a lot worse. We seriously need a striker or two and some quality wide players.
  • Options

@RichCawleySLP: Powell: "Could be worse 45 since I've been manager here. Got to give them some credit - they showed a lot of courage."

This man no matter how bad it gets never disappoints. Appreciate the honesty.

I wasn't there. But if those 45 mins were worse than either of the 45 mins away at Dag & Red March 2011, then the performance must have been dire indeed.
  • Options

CrayAddick said:

@RichCawleySLP: Powell: "Could be worse 45 since I've been manager here. Got to give them some credit - they showed a lot of courage."

This man no matter how bad it gets never disappoints. Appreciate the honesty.
    I wasn't there. But if those 45 mins were worse than either of the 45 mins away at Dag & Red March 2011, then the performance must have been dire indeed.

It some ways it was worse.

However that was one of the most gutless Charlton teams I have ever seen, at least the current bunch seem to care, even if at times they are pretty useless.
  • Options
    what chance BT sport will screen the replay??
  • Options

what chance BT sport will screen the replay??

Since they broadcast Scottish football, we must be in with a chance.

• Options

Don't get the criticism of the team selection. That was pretty much our first team, which is worrying! Just a bad day at the office I think (hope)

That's what I thought too, when I saw we were losing 2-0 I though, "Oh well, we must have the reserves out..." - I then checked and saw we had our strongest side!
    Ditto

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am I the only one who is puzzled by Chris Powells summary after the game ? He talked about the dreadful performance in the first half as if he had no involvement whatsoever in selecting and preparing the team for the game. He used the word lethargic which is ridiculous, he has been in the game long enough to know what is required in a game like this. Methinks our management/coaching team wants a firwork behind them.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Worst 45 mins since god knows when!

Second half much better and thought we should have nicked it you could see the Oxford players tiring and another 5-10 mins we would of won.

I am a Pritchard fan but he was really really off the boil. .

• Options
    One of the most inept 45 mins of football i've seen since the last one,silver lining of a new ground to visit but £19 is taking the piss.
  • Options
    If that is Pritchards last game then it'll be a shame.

He's been shit but he's been shit in the wrong position.

On a cow field on a pitch you cry out for natural width and Pritchard is a ball winning midfielder.

I don't rate Green at all but I was suprised he didn't start ahead of Pritchard last night.
  • Options

On a cow field on a pitch you cry out for natural width and Pritchard is a ball winning midfielder.

I don't rate Green at all but I was suprised he didn't start ahead of Pritchard last night.

Pritchard has played on the right plenty of times and against better sides than Oxford. He is more than capabale there. He has been awful of late though.

Not a huge Green fan but he made that second goal all on his own last night. No help out on the right whatsoever so unusually for him, he skipped past the full back and found Yann with an excellent pass. Great finish too. Similar to his Bournemouth goal.
  • Options

His confidence has gone badly and he will never recover it at Charlton. Gone backward so badly from his form last season. I feel sorry for him he cares and wants to do well.

But that was the worst performance I have ever seen from a charlton player. Did nothing right in the game and was bulled by the Oxford left back. How he came out at half time was a shock.
    Won't see him again the majority reckon
  • Options

Pritchard has played on the right plenty of times and against better sides than Oxford. He is more than capabale there. He has been awful of late though.

Not a huge Green fan but he made that second goal all on his own last night. No help out on the right whatsoever so unusually for him, he skipped past the full back and found Yann with an excellent pass. Great finish too. Similar to his Bournemouth goal.
    I agree but when you are in a run of bad form, and every player has a bad patch, you rely on basics.

As a right midfielder, Pritchard has no basics.

If he was playing more central he could still make tackles, and feel more natural in what he's doing and where he should be.

Like I say though, there's no denying he's been shit.

• Options

Oxford come straight at us from the off and we looked rusty and disinterested. The miss passes by us just bred more of the same, but they were quite physical, although it seemed perfectly sporting according to the ref... In the 2nd half we came out better and started to fight back. Things improved with the substitutions, especially Green on for Pritchard. Harriot almost nicked a winner in the dying minutes! I don't fancy the replay though!

I think we'll get the result away being as we are a counter-attacking side and their pitch will be so much better than ours! Plus we'll be that little bit match sharper by then too.
    Yeah, i also think we will get a result there for the reasons you describe. I just don't fancy going! Especially being £19.

• Options
    Green should be the first name on the teamsheet for these kind of games, they're perfect for him. Oxford couldn't handle him, nor Harriott. However, both were still quite wasteful at times and neither convinced me that they'd do enough to trouble Middlesbrough at the weekend (if either play).

Hopefully Solly will be back in the side on Saturday and we can push Wilson forward again.

I think the first 45 minutes was one of the worst halves I've seen under Powell. Perhaps not the worst, Oxford got the lucky break for their first (typical scrappy cup goal with a deflection) and Cousins gave away possession in our final third for their second. We just weren't able to put together a string of passes and I lost count of the number of miscontrols leading to Oxford throw-ins for example. It was really basic stuff.

It says it all that we took until the 42nd minute to have a shot on target (Pritchard straight at the goalkeeper).
  • Options

I give you the first half performance was really bad but it was not on the same par as Carlisle at home in 2011.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something is obviously going on and we had to endure watching the effects of it. Did anyone else think that Duchatelet was walked onto the pitch before the game started? I just feel bereft this morning. JJ is one hell of a decent bloke though, others were wrapped up in themselves but JJ was there for the very upset Jordan Cousins. Charlton is just littered with casualties at the moment, it's hard to take.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Something is obviously going on and we had to endure watching the effects of it. Did anyone else think that Duchatelet was walked onto the pitch before the game started? I just feel bereft this morning. JJ is one hell of a decent bloke though, others were wrapped up in themselves but JJ was there for the very upset Jordan Cousins. Charlton is just littered with casualties at the moment, it's hard to take.

@stilladdicted Yes I thought it looked like the new owner posted in a you tube clip recently, his entourage hosted by Bob Bolder with the customary photos in the home dugout but no announcement. Strange, very strange. Maybe he knew what was to follow and didn't want to be hassled at half time :-0
    Edit, Spare scarf in hand as well to hold aloft which never transpired.
  • Options

Why was Cousins upset?
  • Options
    It was a poor first half and nothing seemed to work for the players. We were bullied by a League 2 side and the referee was clearly League 2 standard as well.
    There is definitely something unsettling the players (contracts, uncertainty over their future etc) and it really showed. Come on Roland, get things sorted!
    On another note, I was so disappointed how negative the people around me were from the ko. It was almost as if some folk had come to watch the team fail! Cousins made one wrong pass and the crowd's reaction clearly made him anxious for quite a while. Pritchard seemed the scapegoat but I am flabbergasted at how his confidence has so drained. Everything he tried, albeit, in a position that is not great for him, went wrong. Danny Green is not the answer, imo, as it was a League 2 opponent, and in other games, he becomes invisible. Powell is clearly trying to give Pritchard a boost.
    The team will look forward to playing on grass at Middlesborough!
  • Options
    Been to the Kassam and on my last visit there against Boston Utd met Stuart Balmer and had my picture taken with him. Dont park your car behind the goal otherwise you might get a ball go through it with our wayward shooting. Think they charged about £15 then and that was for a league 2 game years ago, so prob not gone up as bad as it could have.

Last night was pathetic no-one comes out of that with any credit. I have been a pritch fan but even last night i was glad he was taken off. No desire, no fight, was like watching a team that accepted relegation and couldnt give a toss. Oxford will be kicking themselves they didnt win.

Well done to us that went shame on those that could have gone and didnt. If i can travel 100 miles, those that live locally can do also, especially for a tenner.

Dont think the club care whether they are in the cup or not......the distain that premiership clubs treat it is now filtering down to the leagues below.
  • Options
    Think there are some overreactions on here.

1st half was very, very poor admittedly. Oxford didn't even look that threatening, but we just switched off for both of their goals.

2nd half was much better and the players showed a bit of bottle to get us back into it. For anyone slagging off SCP's mannerisms during the 1st half should be aware that he gave the team an absolute rollocking at half time, which seemed to work.
  • Options

Why was Cousins upset?
    It wasn't one of his better games ( just like everyone else) but some morons got on his back and Fanny and I both agreed that he was probably upset as he hadn't played well, but if so, that is to his credit.
  • Options
    Great result , our cup run continues .....

At least i can rib a Man United fan at work about still being in the cup!

For those that did go last night , was it real toilet?
  • Options

Oxford come straight at us from the off and we looked rusty and disinterested. The miss passes by us just bred more of the same, but they were quite physical, although it seemed perfectly sporting according to the ref... In the 2nd half we came out better and started to fight back. Things improved with the substitutions, especially Green on for Pritchard. Harriot almost nicked a winner in the dying minutes! I don't fancy the replay though!

I think we'll get the result away being as we are a counter-attacking side and their pitch will be so much better than ours! Plus we'll be that little bit match sharper by then too.
    We'll win 3-0.
    Remember Portsmouth in the FA Cup in the 70's. 2-2 draw at home and a 3-0 win at Fratton Park in the replay.