Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Schumacher

Comments

• Options

Being put in an induced coma is commonplace where head injuries are concerned if there is substantial bleeding internally. Relieving pressure on the brain is of paramount importance, and with modern techniques, it's almost routine nowadays. With the medical care he'll be getting, they will have been monitoring him closely over the past few hours and may well have decided to do this as a precaution.

Yes, I wasn't too worried until I read that he was actually already in a coma when he arrived at the hospital. So the concern will be how much bleeding/ pressure had built up en route to the hospital, before they were able to drill the burr holes. If there was a long delay, unfortunately brain damage could be an issue.
  • Options
    Hope he's okay! Good wishes going out to the guy.
  • Options
    Its unbelievable really, the bloke spends 20 years in the most dangerous sport imaginable and then gets critically injured on a ski run.

I know ski-ing can be dangerous but its just extraordinary all the same.

Hope he gets better.
  • Options
    Heard the the place he was actually ski-ing in is pretty dangerous anyway, all part of living on the edge i guess
  • Options
    the doctors said if he had not been wearing a helmet then they would not have got to survive this long

I don't ski never have never will but if you do listening to that sentence and take care
  • Options
    Hope he pulls through, an absolute F1 legend and thank god he had a helmet on, sking of piste is always a tad risky.
  • Options
    Upgraded to "fighting for his life" on the BBC. Not an F1 fan but I really hope he pulls through.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Its unbelievable really, the bloke spends 20 years in the most dangerous sport imaginable and then gets critically injured on a ski run.

I know ski-ing can be dangerous but its just extraordinary all the same.

Hope he gets better.

That may have been true of the sport when he started out - but I would say it is now , and was when he retired, a lot safer than skiing. When you look at some of the crashes that drivers walk away from, you can see that an exceptional set of circumstances and bad fortune would now be required for a fatality. Have seen the odd incident that could have ended badly so the sport still has its dangers, but skiing off piste is much more dangerous I suspect.

He doesn't strike me as a person who loses a battle so I expect him to win his fight for life.
  • Options
    Heard he had a 2nd brain operation overnight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I wish him a speedy and full recovery .... the irony .. years hurtling round race tracks in super fast cars without sustaining more than a scratch or two .. and then this

EDIT: Sorry to repeat in essence what Ormy wrote earlier ((:>)
  • Options

This incorrect the hospital stated in a press confrence only 1 operation

• Options

This incorrect the hospital stated in a press confrence only 1 operation

Thanks for correcting me obviously with something this serious I dont want to give out false information
    Pray For Schumacher
  • Options
    not false pal it was widely reported this morning but when asked in the press conference they said it was not true
  • Options
    Lot's of conflicting information floating around and add in the usual press sensationalism and it's hard to get the complete and true picture. It was originally said that he was conscious and talking on arrival at hospital. Then I read that he was in a coma on arrival. As stated above, being placed into an induced coma following brain surgery, is simply routine procedure. This however may be as serious as we fear if he had fallen into a coma before reaching the hospital.
  • Options

Lot's of conflicting information floating around and add in the usual press sensationalism and it's hard to get the complete and true picture. It was originally said that he was conscious and talking on arrival at hospital. Then I read that he was in a coma on arrival. As stated above, being placed into an induced coma following brain surgery, is simply routine procedure. This however may be as serious as we fear if he had fallen into a coma before reaching the hospital.

He has been in two hospitals, so perhaps he was conscious at the first and then when he was transferred he was put into a coma?
  • Options
    I believe he was responsive at first and appeared relatively unharmed however he then worsened and went into a coma en route, hence the immediate surgery, and since has been kept in a maintained coma
  • Options
    Got a bad feeling about this.
  • Options
    Thankful that he was wearing head protection to have given him a chance of surviving this. I ski pretty much every week - cannot believe that people in this day and age don't wear helmets. Hoping MS pulls through.
  • Options
    Similar to what happened with Natasha Richardson. Head injuries are brutal to diagnose - you can look absolutely fine, but inside be bleeding on the brain with pressure building up in your skull. Hopefully they realised in time, or the scans were indicative enough to induce the coma before any lasting damage was done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hospital statement says slight improvement
  • Options
    From what I've been told he fell in an area inbetween two pistes (one of which goes back to his chalet), I know it, it's dead simple but it gets skied out a lot and given the poor snow cover this season, even with a fresh dump it wouldn't be particularly well covered and would probably be quite clumpy, definitely a potential to have a few rocks buried by only a few cm. I had heard before today he fell in another area, skiing off of a path, which is a lot more difficult, but the pictures on the news this morning showing the helicopter would confirm that his fall was in first area. Great to hear of his improvement.
  • Options
    he got very agitated and aggressive which signalled he was not well, was put into coma and is now being kept in a state of
    hypothermia as well
  • Options
    Some scumbag journo was caught dressed as a priest trying to gain access to where Schumacher is being kept. Don't know how some people stoop so low.
  • Options
    EGAddick said:

Some scumbag journo was caught dressed as a priest trying to gain access to where Schumacher is being kept. Don't know how some people stoop so low.

Makes a change from the `Fake Sheikh' anyway....

• Options
    EGAddick said:

Holy shit!
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this news really hope he pulls though! great man
  • Options
    Journos and camera men fighting in the street trying to get a statement from his mgr

Scumbags
  • Options
    Was it Fletch!?
  • Options
    Reported to be having moments of consciousness.