Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options

Church gets away with too much for running around a lot. The man is pony and when those ( very few chances) do drop to him he screws up.
    I actually thought evina had a good game and worked hard, goal was down to wood who came for the header when evina was under it

Thought Evina and Wood were both poor today - didn't work well together.
  • Options
    Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair. Dire game, save for the first 10 mins of the second half. Wasn't too impressed with the team or the subs and agree that we should have minimised the changes to those that were enforced. Stewart had dirty shorts after 2 mins, which may please some, but had little influence on the game. Disagreed with playing Stephens wide but to be fair his goal did come from drifting in from the right. Wood solid again. Never felt that church was going to score from either opening to be honest. Hope to see Sordell get a chance v Ipswich.
  • Options
    and Green did add a sense of urgency and put in the effort but unfortunately just isn't good enough for this level imho.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Questions have to be asked of Powell after that I think. Both his starting line-up and subs were woeful and put us on the back foot and if Sheffield Wednesday had any sort of quality outside of Connor Wickham, we'd have lost that.

Losing Solly and Wiggins from Boxing Day's line up was a big blow but not in the way I initially thought. Wilson and Evina are generally solid defensively. It was the fact that those two played in midfield three days ago. They can't play in two positions at once and we all know how weak our midfield already is.

What was most bizarre though was splitting up the Stephens/Cousins axis. The two are a well-oiled machine after a run of games together and one of the best things about our starting XI at the minute. Why he put Stephens wide right I have no idea??? Where is Pritchard? The guy topped our assist chart last season... and from the right wing. Jackson was an influential player the last two seasons but has been a shadow of his former self since August and IMO no longer has the right to be 'fitted' into the team as soon as he's available. The guy should have been on the bench, especially when he can't last the full 90 minutes.

The next problem was exactly that. Jackson was blowing out of his arse after 70. The obvious way forward would've been (with the limited options we do have) to bring Green on, shift Stephens into the centre with Cousins and run at a shakey back line. Yet Powell didn't want to play two wingers at the same time and so hauled off Stewart for Dervite.

At this point it was ridiculous; our midfield consisted of a right-footed CM playing wide left, a L1-at-best winger on the right, and a centre back partnering a player with barely half a season of first team experience in the centre. That is asking for trouble.

I am the first to defend Powell but tonight I am questioning both his starting line-up and his substitutes (yes despite the lack of options). Sheff W were there to take today but a combination of lack of forethought and being overly cautious meant we were lucky to come away with a point.
  • Options

Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
  • Options
    Wiggins wife had a baby! So what, my wife had 4, one right in the middle of a 0-0 draw with Middelsboro and it didn't stop me going.
  • Options
    Green was absolutely awful, hope he leaves the club. Not good enough from him and Church is also looking out of his depth at this level.
  • Options
    Losing both full backs was bad enough.
    Then we move Wilson, who scored twice against Brighton back to RB, losing his attacking flair
    Then we move Stephens to RM, when he's been really good in the centre.
    A completely fresh Sordell on the bench for the whole game, instead of playing today in place of Church
    And out formation was completely rigid, Stewart played solely on the left, there was no though of maybe moving him to the right for bit, to try something different (e.g. with Jackson at LM, and Stephens back in the centre)

Evina looked very rusty today, everything came down that side for Wednesday
  • Options
    Everything came down that side as that was the side if the pitch that the least muddy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    Yes and by all accounts your goal was offside. What's your point? :-)
  • Options
    I honestly think come the end of the season that point will be better for us than them
  • Options

You said earlier you weren't even going so how the f**k have you come to that conclusion?
  • Options

Church gets away with too much for running around a lot. The man is pony and when those ( very few chances) do drop to him he screws up.
    I actually thought evina had a good game and worked hard, goal was down to wood who came for the header when evina was under it

Thought Evina and Wood were both poor today - didn't work well together.
    Really? I thought Wood was our best player!
  • Options

All opinions mate but really didn't think you offered much offensively. I thought there was no way you would score after we went in front which shows how much I know!
  • Options
    Muppet, your goal was because of a defensive mixup and every shot you took ended up in row z. We were poor, but even u lot should be happy with a point in the end.

• Options
    Wood is along with Cousins and Stephens a bright spot in what is another shite season.
  • Options

You said earlier you weren't even going so how the f**k have you come to that conclusion?
    He gets regular updates from his squadron who were flying overhead :0)
  • Options
    The right result, but truly disgraceful officiating for the Wednesday goal.
    Wickham was basically on the goal line when he put the ball in. Unbelievable non-flag from the lino, but even then the ref could and should have overruled. Pathetic.
    Church had the best chance of the game in injury time and showed just why he should be replaced by a proper forward in the new year.
    Pitch is shite.
  • Options
    I know I shall get shot for saying this, And i'm a big CP Fan. But again he got it all wrong.... The lineup and the Subs ... 15 mins to go it could go either way Wendies pushing forward was allowing space behind there back 4. 15 mins to go bring on Sordell, he has pace and could get in behind and nick us the game, bringing on DD was just a lack of ambition, we are at home against a team in the R zone ... so we sit back and soak the pressure .. Why? and Jackson has no pace .... He isn't championship standard and he knows it. Yeah he was great for the last 3 years but we need to move on. And i will not be surprised if Powell does go when this takeover is done ... And I will back the new manager %100

Big change is needed. RD the man to do it ?

AND THAT PITCH? Sunday league team's play on better pitches was a complete embarrassment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also thought Wood was pretty poor today. A mix up between Evina and Wood let Wednesday in behind for their (offside) leveller. Also a couple of passes RW made put other players into trouble.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

That first half was the worst performance from two so called professional teams I've seen for about thirty years. I know the pitch was bad, but the level of skill and quality was that of an under 11 game.

Booooooo.

This. Seeing as it is Sunday I did wonder at one point if I had turned up at Hackney Marshes by mistake.

I know this will upset the tree hugging CP lovers on here, but he really needs to have a good look at himself & ask "Am I the man for the job ?" 1-1 at home with 10 mins to go against a team who have won only once away all season & we are the ones on the back foot defending for our lives !! As mentioned by an earlier poster, we had 2 strikers on the bench and CP decides to swap wingers & midfielders .....wtf ?? If we were playing Barca or Arsenal I'd understand it, but Sheff W ?? CP needs to grow some & GO FOR IT !!

For me the jury's out re Wiggins. As a father of 3 who has been at all 3 births I do understand that he (and his wife) would want to be there.....but then could he have taken 6 hours out of the proceedings to ply his trade ?? I know we certainly missed him today.

• Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2013
    As others have said I think the initial team selection was not good (to accommodate JJ in the middle) and the substitutions (especially the Dervite switch) made things worse. Not a good day for CP today whichever way you slice it IMO. At home against Wednesday - we should have performed better especially after the team shape we used and the way we performed against Brighton on Boxing Day.

With the current squad I do think we would avoid relegation anyway, what with the fighting spirit from CP and the fighting spirit of the players. Hopefully we won't have to rely on that though with some investment from the new owner when he takes over. Fighting spirit only gets you so far I'm afraid.

• Options

I also thought Wood was pretty poor today. A mix up between Evina and Wood let Wednesday in behind for their (offside) leveller. Also a couple of passes RW made put other players into trouble.

Okay, you've told us what Wood did wrong today.

But how about balancing it out - and telling us all the things that Wood did right today?

;o)
  • Options

Your goal was clearly offside
  • Options
    Think it's harsh questioning wiggins in terms of not playing today. For all we know he might of been at the hospital since yesterday and not in a fit state to play
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oggy Red said:

Okay, you've told us what Wood did wrong today.

But how about balancing it out - and telling us all the things that Wood did right today?

;o)
    Haha won a few headers, continues to work well in tandem with Morrison. Think he's looking better than he is because it allows a left footer to play left and right footer (Morrison) to play right. We had awful problems last season when Morrison played left of the centre back pairing.
  • Options
    Thought we were a bit unlucky. Oh well can't win them all. Bl@@dy ref.
  • Options
    I love Powell but tacticly we are very poor and his substitutions are shocking. Thought Evina was poor, he offerd us nothing down the left going forward, and looked shaky and panicked when defending. Simon Church commitment and energy are second to none but in front of goal he is pretty useless.
  • Options
    OP, seriously, who is your number 3?

I reckon the fat cock with his top off would do you lot a better job.

Surely he can't play left back for you every game? He can't even kick it properly.

On another note, didn't realise how much of a unit that Conor Wickham was. Thought he'd left the hanger in his shirt!