Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013

@operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

Love it!!!

You're below us for a reason!

If we played like we did against Brighton then we would have won the game comfortably. But we didn't. If you had taken your chances today then you would have won. But you didn't. If my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle. But she doesn't.

Worst performance of our season and we still nicked a point. Cheers.

I could return that favour and say if we'd of played like we did when we beat Leicester we'd of beat you by 5 or 6 - but that's like irreverent.

We might be below you Gary but it's not like you're marching on is it now?....you're 4 points ahead but we have a game in hand.

We've been truly awful this year, if we can play you off the park in a mud bath in your own back yard I'd be more worried.
  • Options
    Powell couldn't have done a lot else. Shame we lost 2 of our best players but that's life. Shows how thin our squad is. Our bench was a shambles really.

Gutted the chance fell to Church, who should have at the very least hit the target. Not even disappointed though when he missed because I didn't expect him to score.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

It runs the Millwall game close but not quite.
    No, no Gary's right, that Millwall game has been erased from the memory banks, it never happened just a bad dream, a nightmare in fact.........there I've just rewritten history :0)
  • Options

@operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

Love it!!!

If we played like we did against Brighton then we would have won the game comfortably. But we didn't. If you had taken your chances today then you would have won. But you didn't. If my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle. But she doesn't.

I could return that favour and say if we'd of played like we did when we beat Leicester we'd of beat you by 5 or 6 - but that's like irreverent.

We might be below you Gary but it's not like you're marching on is it now?....you're 4 points ahead but we have a game in hand.

We've been truly awful this year, if we can play you off the park in a mud bath in your own back yard I'd be more worried.
    Played us off the park?? Haha!!

You need a new radio mate.
  • Options
    Well, to use a northern word, that was chuff. Terrible game by two poor teams. Our starting line up had me worried and I think Wood's below par performance was due to him having Evina next to him.

They were not a threat through the middle at all. When they had the ball wide or at set pieces then they had us worried.

No stand out performances although I think Stephens looked the most accomplished player on view. Also feel that Cousins, after a shaky start, did not look overawed by their midfield three, and lets be honest Jackson didn't exactly help him out too much.

Stewart was poor, and although Church gave his all his game was summed up by his wild finish at the end. Kermorgant tried but was fairly low key.

The pitch was terrible and did not allow any sort of flowing football and did contribute to the lack of quality.

Wednesday were dour but fairly effective in their set up and tactics.

All in all, ninety minutes of my life Im not going to get back.
  • Options
    Okay, Radio Sheffield could be biased .....runs off to check stats.
  • Options

Love it!!!

Played us off the park?? Haha!!

You need a new radio mate.
    Don't suppose it was being covered by your totally unbiased local radio station was it Piggy?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

No need, I've got them for you here: Charlton B 1-1 Massives (with a bit of help from the lino)

• Options
    you were slightly less awful than us. I can't believe you are happy with the performance really pal.
  • Options

I know I shall get shot for saying this, And i'm a big CP Fan. But again he got it all wrong.... The lineup and the Subs ... 15 mins to go it could go either way Wendies pushing forward was allowing space behind there back 4. 15 mins to go bring on Sordell, he has pace and could get in behind and nick us the game, bringing on DD was just a lack of ambition, we are at home against a team in the R zone ... so we sit back and soak the pressure .. Why? and Jackson has no pace .... He isn't championship standard and he knows it. Yeah he was great for the last 3 years but we need to move on. And i will not be surprised if Powell does go when this takeover is done ... And I will back the new manager %100

Big change is needed. RD the man to do it ?

AND THAT PITCH? Sunday league team's play on better pitches was a complete embarrassment

Agree with this. I don't want Powell to go, but am getting sick of his negativity. Yet, after the Brighton game he was saying " we needed to loosen the shackles and not be so inhibited". He is really baffling me now. He seems to like inviting pressure on to the defense with his substitutions, rather than trying to win the three points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know I shall get shot for saying this, And i'm a big CP Fan. But again he got it all wrong.... The lineup and the Subs ... 15 mins to go it could go either way Wendies pushing forward was allowing space behind there back 4. 15 mins to go bring on Sordell, he has pace and could get in behind and nick us the game, bringing on DD was just a lack of ambition, we are at home against a team in the R zone ... so we sit back and soak the pressure .. Why? and Jackson has no pace .... He isn't championship standard and he knows it. Yeah he was great for the last 3 years but we need to move on. And i will not be surprised if Powell does go when this takeover is done ... And I will back the new manager %100

AND THAT PITCH? Sunday league team's play on better pitches was a complete embarrassment

Agree with this. I don't want Powell to go, but am getting sick of his negativity. Yet, after the Brighton game he was saying " we needed to loosen the shackles and not be so inhibited". He is really baffling me now. He seems to like inviting pressure on to the defense with his substitutions, rather than trying to win the three points.
    When he's bringing on Green and Dervite for flair then I think it says a lot about the squad and options he has available. He obviously doesn't rate Sordell.
  • Options

Charlton can and do sometimes look like the worst side ever, but this is IMO due to Powell's naturally cautious approach to games. Large chunks of games tend to be launch it long, win the second ball, then play football in the final third.

So far it has worked - one promotion and a top 9 finish last year. He has had less money and fewer quality players this season, but his approach is still working. In the same period people like Flitcroft and Jones (who had more money than Powell) have been sacked and Ferguson has taken Posh down.

With the loss today of 2 pivotal full backs and being short of a decent striker then it's no surprise Charlton looked awful.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

When he's bringing on Green and Dervite for flair then I think it says a lot about the squad and options he has available. He obviously doesn't rate Sordell.
    Rick Flair??? woooo! No wonder we were poor today, what number was he wearing then?
  • Options
    A totally dismal performance brightened only by a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half. Morrison and Wood ok but everyone else had a serious off day. Other points:

- God help us if we lose Wiggins. Evina showed today why he is not a remotely adequate replacement. Poor positioning and tackling in his defensive duties. dreadful passing.
    - Jacko. Love him to bits but way off the pace in every sense. Legs gone, I fear.
    - Cousins. Good battling but passing awry and why does he get a nosebleed when he moves into the opponent's half? A couple of times today he could have won the 2nd ball inside their half but opted to concede possession and track back.
    - Yann. Wasn't there today. That was Yann's fat, lazy, useless twin brother.
    - Church. I don't give a toss if he runs all day and has tons of energy, he is chuffing hopeless as a striker. Powder puff is overstating his strength.
    - CP. I love him to bits but I'm starting to agree with those who criticise his tactical awareness and especially his substitutions. Did we really start to defend deep with 20 minutes to go, at home, against a bottom 3 side to DEFEND A SINGLE POINT???? Really? Really? Jesus wept!

We are dropping far too many points against teams we really ought to be defeating. We have to be going for wins and not just not to get beaten. That's why it's 3 points for a win instead of the old 2 points. Can someone please tell CP that, or we could be very ruefully adding up these missed points come the end of the season.
  • Options
    This seems a fair response from someone who went today.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    'Well I've just got home, living where I do then I can post a few hours before most.

Accepting that Charlton are not having a much better season than us, I thought we were head and shoulders above them today, in terms of skill, ideas and work rate.

The defence did not work together as a team and far too often they left gaps, which a better would team would have exploited. Too often when Charlton got into a goal scoring opportunity they would look to blame each other, rather than pull together. Reda continues to worry me, and eah time he went for a challenge I expected him to miss the ball, and when one on one it was always a surprise when he won the ball. He wasn't as bad as that all the time, but my confidence on him was not great, and it looked as if other members of the defence had similar doubts. Johnson ® was solid and had a good game.

Bearing in mind the pitch was like non mans land between two World War I trenches you were never going to see silky ball passing play today, even if the teams had players with such skills. Their goal was an appalling defensive mistake, with the striker (don't know his name as I couldn't get a programme) given too much space and time.

The double substitution was inspired (Helan and weren't playing particularly badly but the poor quality of the pitch didn't help them) and as well as continuing to dominate possession we became a much more threatening proposition when we switched to 442. Individual performances - Semedo - played his bollocks off. Maguire - not only ran for the full 90 minutes but linked well with Wickham (if this is how he can play, and can turn in these performances every match then he's an obvious first choice. Kirkland pulled off a couple of match saving saves and I am one of those who wonder why he's not been playing. Palmer was excellent on the overlap but he's not a full back. Finally, Nuhui made an impact with his lay offs, flicks and holding play. I stiil can't understand however how a player who is so tall can lose so many aerial challenges.

I travelled back with a Group of Charlton fans who thought they were lucky not to have lost 3 or 4 -1. They were expecting an easy victory today (not unfair given our league position and results) and couldn't believe we had only won 3 games.all season. The trouble is that I've seen too many matches this season where we didn't play any thing near as well as today; I've also seen matches where we have played as well and still not won.'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Operation Pig, I think if the Wendies are to avoid relegation, keeping hold of Connor Wickham would be vital. Connor Wickham was the player on the pitch with the most quality. Any word on whether Sunderland and Poyet will let you keep him ?
  • Options
    OP, you in no way played us off the pitch mate. Weds fans on train home also felt a draw was fair.
  • Options
    Piss-poor all round. Really, can't we do better than this? - Alnwick's distribution is all over the shop; defence was stretched whenever the Wendies applied pressure; midfield was mostly vapid as usual, unable to service a powder-puff attack. Misplaced passes by the shed-load. Absolutely nothing to get excited about in the first half, and scarcely better in the second (the official stats say we had one single shot on target). The pitch is a disgrace, and won't do us any favours against stronger and more mobile teams - that is, virtually everyone else in the division. A truly miserable performance.
  • Options

I really didn't think it was that bad, given the removal of the two full backs who were so instrumental in out win over Brighton. Poor Ceddy was a rabbit in headlights. Church isn't a great finisher but his running gives us an outlet when we are under pressure. Sordell would never have got himself in the position to snatch at that chance since it came from Church's hard work. Wood is a quiet class act. Yann was a bit subdued, compared to Thursday, but exactly, Thursday! When I heard Emma saying Solly and wiggins were out I feared the worst. If you'd offered me 5 points from those last 3 games I'd have bitten your arm off.

As for the pitch, it's all been said. Bloody disgrace.

PA, any chance we can meet up before the next game so you can give me some of what you are taking please? If you really didn't think it was that bad I want to live in the same world as you because it must be a really happy place!

• Options
    edited December 2013
    You were the better team and if a team was going to win it in the last 15 minutes, it was you. But to say you "played us off the park" and were "head and shoulders" above us in all departments is just lieing. A draw wasn't unfair, you didn't offer enough to deserve getting the winner.

You had a few potshots from outside the area, a header cleared off the line and a ball played along the goalline that would've gone in if someone was in the right place at the right time. We had a few corners, two or three shots from around the penalty area blocked by last ditch tackles and a 1v1 in stoppage time that Simon Church did well to spurn. You edged a sh*t game but by no means was it one sided.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw was a fair result. No way was Church going to hit the target from out there, which would have won us the 3 points. 5 points from 9 is decent IMO.
  • Options
    He's right about Reda Johnson!!! He's pulling your pants down earning money playing football.

Head and shoulders above us in work rate? Yeah id say so.

Skill? There was zero from either side.

Ideas? Would like to know what he means by that. 50 yard direct aerial passes were the only idea on show.

We were shit. You were less shit.

It really is that simple.
  • Options
    Oh, and with our two full backs out, I think 1 point is decent against the cavemen from Sheffield.
  • Options
    vff said:

Operation Pig, I think if the Wendies are to avoid relegation, keeping hold of Connor Wickham would be vital. Connor Wickham was the player on the pitch with the most quality. Any word on whether Sunderland and Poyet will let you keep him ?

Wickham has openly said he wants to stay here, he said it's the best form he's been in for ages, probably because he's had games, but a few clubs have been asking about him, I don't think Sunderland would recall him to send back out to another club on loan, I very much doubt Wickham would want that anyway however if someone comes in with a bid then it could change things.

Doesn't really answer your question much so who knows.
  • Options
    Anyone know if CP could have a word with diego and ask him to ask his dad if we could have connor!
  • Options
    WSS said:

CAFCsayer said:

I'm a big Powell fan but substitutions today were nothing short of a fucking joke. 1-1 at home to Wednesday and we had a midfield with Dervite and Cousins in the middle and Stephens on the left - baffling. Team was wrong from the outset too, fuming.

Out of interest, what would've your starting lineup been?

Alnwick
    Wilson Wood Morro Evina
    Stewart Stevo Cousins Jacko
    Kerm Church

or

Alnwick
    Wilson Wood Morro Evina
    Green Stevo Cousins Stewart
    Kerm Church
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Am I missing something here, what actually did Wickham do that everyone is wetting themselves over? Apart from tapping in from an offside position?
  • Options
    I think in terms of the threat posed when attacking then yes, Wednesday probably edged it. But their game plan, even on a decent surface is to get the ball forward early and either play for throws, corners or set pieces. They were physically much bigger and stronger than us, especially once they made their subs.

However, on the rare occasions they tried to play through the middle they created nothing. Don't think I've seen so many speculative long range shots in one game. An example of when the shots on goal comparison should be rendered irrelevant to how the game actually was.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Am I missing something here, what actually did Wickham do that everyone is wetting themselves over?

Same here. Looked and played like a big lump to me.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2013

RedChaser said:

Am I missing something here, what actually did Wickham do that everyone is wetting themselves over?

Same here. Looked and played like a big lump to me.

Quality in movement and possession and looked dangerous on the ball. Would walk into the Charlton attack without any difficulty. IMHO.