Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most famous sports person youv met ??

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017

1StevieG said:

Stuart Pearce
    Scott Minto

Met Scott Minto when I went out to Valencia for the pre-season in 2006, a very pleasant individual.
    The missus wasn't too shabby either. Met him and his missus in Zens who had Stuart Balmer with them. Think I bought them drinks but it was a long time ago and the memory has faded a bit!
  • Options
    Jack Charlton at a sportsman lunch with Nobby Stiles 2 truly great Gents, Martin Peters at a car dealership, John Conteh many a time in Church St Paddington - he was always pissed, and then in a service station outside of Derby bizarrely, played 6 a side against the English ladies football team - totally Mullered them, Michael Vaughn in a pub in Maida Vale, Eddie Youds most Fridays (few years ago) in Blackheath, as a youngster played in the same team as Les Berry.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Stuart Pearce
    Scott Minto

Met Scott Minto when I went out to Valencia for the pre-season in 2006, a very pleasant individual.
    The missus wasn't too shabby either. Met him and his missus in Zens who had Stuart Balmer with them. Think I bought them drinks but it was a long time ago and the memory has faded a bit!
    See Scott almost every day. His twins are in my boys class at school. Not actually spoken to him yet though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Bobby Charlton, Graham Gooch, Ian StJohn, Sam Bartram, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubanks, Henry Cooper, Terry Downes, and literally scores of Charlton players....too many to mention but sadly, never my all time favourite Stuart Leary.

I once gave Chris Eubank a punch on his arm...rock hard it was to. Often bumped into him when we lived in Brighton. Always seemed a nice bloke and always said hello to us when we saw him. Apart from that Ian Botham (French Alps in 88 when he was doing the Hannibal walk) and Bruce Grobbelar in a bar in Singapore...chatted to him for a while as we were the only 2 sitting at the bar, before he caught a cab to meet Steve McMahon...never met him but saw him quite often in our local Indian restaurant in Singapore (08-09).
  • Options
    Apart from Charlton players & managers , I asked Carl Lewis for his autograph in Rome where he was competing in the World Championships in 1987.

We were both in McDonalds next to the Spanish Steps, awaiting our orders.
  • Options

Apart from Charlton players & managers , I asked Carl Lewis for his autograph in Rome where he was competing in the World Championships in 1987.

Did he give it to you (the autograph)
  • Options

Couldn't refuse Fanny, DM ....

:smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Had breakfast with David Beckham and then played a game of table tennis against him.

Played cricket against Richie Richardson. Managed to play out an over against him. Somehow.
  • Options
    Thierry Henry, while I worked at H&M Oxford Circus (1999).
    He pointed at my trousers...and said that he wanted the same ones and asked if they were from H&M.
  • Options

Couldn't refuse Fanny, DM ....

:smile:
    That's not what Daley Thompson used to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Stuart Pearce
    Scott Minto

See Scott almost every day. His twins are in my boys class at school. Not actually spoken to him yet though.
    You should speak to him......he's an absolute gentleman and very approachable, he'll be delighted to know your an Addick.
  • Options
    Is there a link from the above to the thread title? If there is then I apologise for being an idiot
  • Options
    Always afraid I said this before on such an old thread but I met Jackie Stewart in Woolworths up Oxford Street many, many years ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Stuart Pearce
    Scott Minto

You should speak to him......he's an absolute gentleman and very approachable, he'll be delighted to know your an Addick.
    Tell him I"m asking after him xxx
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Fumbluff said:

Is there a link from the above to the thread title? If there is then I apologise for being an idiot

No, I'm obviously a bit thick, but Michael's brother David used to manager ROI :wink:
  • Options

Always afraid I said this before on such an old thread but I met Jackie Stewart in Woolworths up Oxford Street many, many years ago.

Only house in Dumbarton with a blue plaque and it's up for sale. My old dears "kent his faither" :wink:
  • Options
    I met Sasha Kindred at a learn to swin event along with Duncan Goodhew, both really nice guys. If you ever want to listen to someone speak about overcoming challenges of disability Sasha was a really inspirational speaker.
  • Options
    As someone who makes a shrinking violet seem positively garrulous I was astonished that I approached pro-cyclist David Millar in a restaurant in Girona. Too tongue-tied to say much I just said that I'd always been a big fan and that I was really proud of the way he had come back after his drugs ban. On her way out the restaurant his Mum came over and just gave me a big hug - not sure if she appreciated my sentiments or was just sorry for me!
  • Options
    While chauffeuring in London I met Dennis Law, unfortunately it was only a 5 minuet journey across Waterloo bridge. Met the English guy who broke the world land speed record, somewhat ashamed to say his name has slipped my memory.

Saving the best for last, a few days ago- 18 or 19th September, while on holiday in Perast, Montenegro, met Sasa Illic at his Retreat-Hotel. Had an informative & wide ranging talk for about 20 minuets, he had only just returned from the Legends game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We were queuing, waiting to board our Ryanair flight from Dublin to Gatwick yesterday and in walks Michael O'Leary the CEO.

He checks my boarding pass & passport, thanks me by first name & then joins us on the flight home.

I wanted to tell him what I thought of his company, but I also wanted to get back to Blighty.

Bloody hell...thought it was only pilots he was short of!!

Once served George Best, when I was on the till at Barclays in Lombard Street. He'd done some work for LWT and they'd paid him with a couple of their cheques, which I cashed for him. One of the old girls had called him over first and asked for ID!!! I said I'd deal with it and had a good chat with him. Not, sadly, one of his more lucid periods.
  • Options
    Ian Botham - arrogant
    Geoff Boycott - wanker level arrogant
    Gary Kirsten - right up his own arse
    Ricky Hatton - drunk as a lord in strip club in Manchester
    Glenn Hoddle in toilets at Etihad - nice fella
    Chris Powell in Marbella
    Kermy - lovely guy, also in Marbella
    Some bloke called Duchatelet - arsehole.(ok, not sports person, but thought it worth a mention)

• Options

My dad was a big fan of his and he was doing a book signing at CW a few weeks before his 65th. Went along and they were giving out post it notes to write your name on. I asked if I could get him to write happy 65th but they wouldn't allow it. Was a bit pissed off seeing as I'd bought one too. Met him and he was a really nice guy but he was very deliberate when signing. It was only after reading the bookthat I found out he was dyslexic.
  • Options
    George Best closely followed by Darren Pitcher!
  • Options
    Kenny Sansom at Bromley South on way down to watching Rochester last season.
    Kenny Sansom again, outside Bromley South at 5.45am waiting for Tescos to open.
  • Options
    Bobby Charlton in the FA hq.
  • Options
    My old mans firm used to have a big involvement in Dulwich Hamlet and back in the late 60's, they played the England world cup winning team in a charity match. When the game ended, I was lucky enough to be taken in to the England dressing room to meet all the players. I was only about 7 or 8 and I didn't know where to look as they came up to me straight out of the bath with their meat and veg dangling at my eye level!

Loads of Charlton over the years, the best being the dinner at the Lancaster Hotel celebrating our championship title, brilliant night that was.

George Best quite a few times in my younger days

More recently
    David Coulthard at a charity shoot
    Kenny Dalglish and Alan Hansen only last week again a charity golf event
    John Hartson in Glasgow after Celtic PSG match
    Peter Crouch (yes, with Abi) :smiley:
    Wayne Rooney, actually sat next to me and the wife in a restaurant
    Sir Chris Hoy
    Sir Alex, my CEO joint owns a horse with him

• Options
    Denis Law- Genuine guy, no airs and graces
    Jack Charlton- Great sense of humour