Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most famous sports person youv met ??

Comments

• Options
    Outside of Charlton players (primarily mid to late 80's):-

- Geoff Hurst c. 1982. Seemed a bit bored that people wanted to meet him.
    - Gordon Banks. c. 2005 On a dance floor at a conference. Seemed delighted that people wanted to meet him.
    - Katherine Grainger c. 2014. Interviewed her on stage at a conference and spent a few days hosting her. A lovely person who was happy to talk and spend time with anyone.
    - Trevor Brooking c. 1989. A nice bloke.
  • Options
    Probably James cracknell or kriss akabusi. Met Keith peacock in the club shop signing his book. Told him I'd had a dream we were going to win 4-0 - this is when we were really shit in about 2009 - and he said if we won 4-0 then to meet him after the game and we'd share a bottle of champagne. Think that meant he was buying but never been sure.
  • Options
    Derek Hales in a British pub in Gran Canaria. Think he had Leigh Hales with him as well, but he was only a little kid at the time.
  • Options
    Shane Warne, Sachin Tendulkar, Sir Vivian Richards, Brian Lara, Sir Ian Botham.
  • Options
    Cyril Regis. I told him my mum thought he had nice legs.
  • Options
    Linford Christie and John Regis........ in the sauna..... don't ask :-)
  • Options
    Gemma Arterton
  • Options
    Benni McCarthy at Newcastle greyhound stadium. We asked him if he could play in our intramural game the next day, he said his knees were too fucked.
  • Options
    George Best in the 'Phene Arms'.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Redskin said:

George Best in the 'Phene Arms'.

Yes of course.....forgot that......met him there several times, he was in there every day for years.
    Great pub the Phene........tucked away out of sight in Chelsea just over the river. Was in danger of closing down at one point, thank goodness it survived. A little gem!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Number 4 - Bobby Orr
  • Options
    Played Jimmy White at Snooker... Blinding night that was...
  • Options
    Morrisey of The Smiths bought me and my mate a drink once. Jools Holland I used to clean his dads Black Capri around 1977.
  • Options
    Sorry didnt reatd the sports bit. met Brian Moore prior to kick off Cpalace v Charlton 74/75. Also Chris Kamarra at Gatwick airport once.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    A bit tenuous re the Sport bit......but met Shawn Michaels at the baggage carousel at JFK. He's surprisingly small......but was wearing an overly big titfer.

Also spoke to Steve Claridge with his missus (who was all dolled up) at Catford dogs once. She did not look too happy.
  • Options
    Mike Tyson, Ricky Hatton, Wayne Rooney, Jonny Wilkinson, Clive Woodward, Martin Johnson, Matt Dawson, John Mcguiness, Michael Dunlop, Stuart Pearce, Gary Lineker, Ian Wright, Trevor Brooking, Gianfranco Zola, Alan "whipper" Wells, Darren Anderton, John Conte, Lee Westwood, Ian Botham, David Gower, Mike Gatting, Steve Coppell, Dave Bassett, Dave Beasant, Min Patel, Mark Ramprakash etc.

I'm very lucky that my business (by choice) involves a lot of Sports films and charity fund raising.

Nicest bloke of all - Steve Coppell. Intelligent, articulate, friendly. Has some fun stories about managing in the Indian football leagues!
  • Options
    Met Brian May as he attends my dads open mic night now and then.
  • Options
    Not surprisingly based in the industry I am, I've met very many top sports people over the years - most of the top flat and NH jockeys, most of the top rugby players and cricketers, very many footballers and a lot of top boxers.

Also knew Steve Davies when we were kids in Plumstead and used to knock around with George Best (the best) in Mayfair in the 80's (could tell you some stories there!!).
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Sorry didnt reatd the sports bit. met Brian Moore prior to kick off Cpalace v Charlton 74/75. Also Chris Kamarra at Gatwick airport once.

That's jogged my memory, had a chat with Trevor Francis in Malaga airport May 2005 on his way back to commentate on our game with Palarse and whilst I'm at it Henry Cooper at the premier of Freedom Road starring Mohammed Ali.
  • Options
    Has to be Pele
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has to be Pele

No, it was definitely Mohammed Ali :wink:
  • Options
    Met Mani from The Stone Roses once. He was DJing after an Oasis gig and was pretty happy to chat about the music etc. I was quite drunk, as I'm sure he was.
  • Options
    Gazza on the train back from Boro away. I got his autograph, which now seems well old, as selfies hadn't really taken off.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Has to be Pele

I,ve met a lot but Pele is my number 1.
    My prized piece of sports memorabilia is a Charlton progamme signed by the man himself.
  • Options
    I blocked out two pre-lunch maidens from Les Berry in about 1988.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

I blocked out two pre-lunch maidens from Les Berry in about 1988.

Did he catch up with them after lunch?
  • Options
    Frank Bruno, Henry Cooper, Jack Charlton, Geoff Hurst, Seb Coe, Rebecca Romero. Lots of Charlton players but the two you could call famouse are John Barnes and Clive Mendonca. Viktor Korchnoi (I know he's not well known outside the world of chess, but in chess circles he's one of the most famous players, and he survived the Siege of Leningrad).

The world's top cyclists. Well, I say met. I was standing by the side of the road and the Tour de France went past.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In no particular order:
    Paul Ackford, at Wembley Euro'96
    Shirley Strong, at Crystal Palace
    Charlie Cox & Steve Parrish, at Brands Hatch
  • Options
    Most of the Spurs team of the 80's as they came into my school. Perryman and Houghton were different class! Oh, it was a PD school and Hoddle was there before his unfortunate outburst.