Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week's State Pension announcement

Who are these people who are living longer? Seems to me a good number still dying young. I would imagine the people who have to work till they drop won't be living too long!

Comments

• Options
    I heard something yesterday on the radio that the amount of people living past the age of 85 had gone up 25% in the last 10 years, something like 2/3 's were women?

Why do women out live blokes , I know it's not always the way, do we get too stressed about stuff?
  • Options
    Why do men die before their wives?

Because they want to.
  • Options

I heard something yesterday on the radio that the amount of people living past the age of 85 had gone up 25% in the last 10 years, something like 2/3 's were women?

Why do women out live blokes , I know it's not always the way, do we get too stressed about stuff?

I think the women that don't go to work live longer - so the solution is making those that do go to work work for longer!
  • Options
    Women also drink a lot less and generally eat better.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    you don't get too many women in manual jobs - I think there is a massive unfairness in this - what about a labourer who has worked say since he was 16 - if anything, the pension should kick in earlier if you have worked and paid contributions for X years!!!!

Tory boy Osborne will retire when he likes as will his mate Cameron!!!!We are going to have zimmer parking bays in the workplace - I find it obsene!
  • Options

Women don't work as hard
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I don't know where I stand on this.
    On the one hand, meaningful state pensions are going to become unaffordable as the population ages. On the other, it is clearly nigh on impossible for someone to continue working at a manual job into their late 60s early 70s. Indeed they may not have the mental faculties to do a desk job either.
    Although obviously the exception that proves the rule, I did know someone who was working as a hod carrier on a building site at the age of 76! :-0
    I can only assume that the Govt is hoping that more and more of us will start making our own provisions for retirement.

BTW you are right about people still dying young. But that means that the older you are the older you are likely to be when you die. This is because infant mortality (around 5 per 1000 births), young men's lack of driving competence, certain cancers, etc, etc have a significant impact on the average life span figures. (I guess if you strip out young men's seemingly overwhelming desire to get an honourable mention in the annual Darwin Awards, the life spans for men and women are not much different.)
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Women don't work as hard
    They don't get nagged either!
  • Options
    I certainly don't want to be in my current employment when I'm sixty eight.
  • Options
    To be fair if your in your early 50's or younger there's very little chance of their being a meaningful - if any - state pension by the time you retire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When we start giving up on things - we are moving back to slavery. With wealth distributed more unfairly than it has for many decades, there will come a tipping point!!!
  • Options
    mind you - what damage is an army of angry 80 year olds going to do?
  • Options
    Sadly no man in my family has ever hit 75 except for a non blood related distant great, great uncle or something. Hoping against hope that the old man makes another 4 years but it's not looking a great bet in all honesty even with the fantastic treatment he gets from the NHS.

All I can do is hope for the best, keep myself in decent shape as best I can and get used to the idea that I might only have a few years to enjoy after what will be over half a century at work.

Interesting too that they aren't releasing any more detail about exactly who is definitely effected until after the next election eh!

• Options
    edited December 2013
    A lot more will die at their desks - what a vision! It brings a tear to my eye in all seriousness that this isn't challenged. If the current system can't allow the dignity of people who have worked all their lives to retire at a decent age - it needs changing! Wealth distribution - even if it affects me - we are human beings.

You get all this crap about why it needs to happen, but the very rich just keep getting richer.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

To be fair if your in your early 50's or younger there's very little chance of their being a meaningful - if any - state pension by the time you retire.

I think you mean " to be UNfair" mate! We all started work with a "contract" to work hard for x number of years in order to get looked after in our old age, and now as well as extending that contract they are telling us we will get sod all. If they want to cut the benefits bill with a fairly immediate effect, they should announce the axing of child benefit for babies born nine months from now.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Then there will be less people born who will be paying for the welfare state in the future if you did that. We are trying to apply an old broken system to a changed world - we need a new fairer system with wealth more evenly spread.
  • Options
    Don't understand why nobody wouldn't have a private pension type scheme.

That being said, all employers will now have to pay into your pension if you do. Take advantage of it.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I think you mean " to be UNfair" mate! We all started work with a "contract" to work hard for x number of years in order to get looked after in our old age, and now as well as extending that contract they are telling us we will get sod all. If they want to cut the benefits bill with a fairly immediate effect, they should announce the axing of child benefit for babies born nine months from now.
    Sorry, turn of phrase.
  • Options
    some people don't get paid enough to put money aside! That is why we have the Wongas of this world.
  • Options

Then there will be less people born who will be paying for the welfare state in the future if you did that. We are trying to apply an old broken system to a changed world - we need a new fairer system with wealth more evenly spread.

If child benefit is making the difference in your decision whether to have children or not, then you shouldn't have children.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a factor for some people - that is the affordability of having a child - I would call it responsible really.
  • Options

It is a factor for some people - that is the affordability of having a child - I would call it responsible really.

Have to agree to disagree then mate. :-)

• Options
    Is it ok for people to have children they can't control.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Because the returns on a private pension are not looking too good?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

se9addick said:

There are lots of things that could be done Algarve. Not sure I'd100% agree with cutting all child benefit but certainly for the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. My sister and her partner are currently claiming 3 lots of child benefit. Both of them are earning more each than me and the wife put together and frankly just spunk money around like it's nothing and clearly, like many of their colleagues too, they have no need for it.

Not going to win too many votes if we start means testing the benefits of pensioners and families though which is the problem.
  • Options

WSS said:

Possibly. Mine has made 11% year on year for three years though.

Regardless, whether it's pensions or simply saving I think everyone should do it if they can.
  • Options

se9addick said:

There are lots of things that could be done Algarve. Not sure I'd100% agree with cutting all child benefit but certainly for the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. My sister and her partner are currently claiming 3 lots of child benefit. Both of them are earning more each than me and the wife put together and frankly just spunk money around like it's nothing and clearly, like many of their colleagues too, they have no need for it.

Not going to win too many votes if we start means testing the benefits of pensioners and families though which is the problem.
    It has been thirty years since I worked at the DSS, but then anyone on means tested benefits had child benefit income 100% taken into account, so it made no difference. If it is the same with tax credits etc, then cutting it would only effect people like your sister, who don't actually need it.
  • Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Possibly. Mine has made 11% year on year for three years though.

Regardless, whether it's pensions or simply saving I think everyone should do it if they can.
    We should trust our futures to the banks?

• Options
    The state pension is a Ponzi scheme requiring more and more people paying in to prop it up. Its not as if your lifetime contributions were saved up. People are loving longer so there isn't the money coming in. The pension was a reward for living an abnormal number of years, they should have raised the age decades ago. If old people couldn't vote that would have happened at least.
  • Options
    I like the idea of setting x number of years of worked employment and an age ceiling choosing either one to your advantage. And of course, retirement is not compulsory.