Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

advertisements for watches

13»

Comments

• Options

Don't they also show watches at 10 past 10 in the photos as it's meant to be more aesthetically pleasing (or something?)

Isn't it because the face is then 'smiling'?

Eight minutes past ten or 9 minutes to two, I'm sure I read somewhere, and idiots selling mobile phones show the same times without any point to it once digitalised.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I love watches! I have quite a few my favourite is rolex but will never get a real one sadly! I have bought very decent fakes from japan thought off the web
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I don't know but there probably is a reason.
    Car manufacturers (nearly) always show cars in UK adverts (see example chosen at random) with a three alpha plus three digit number plate rather than a current style plate - why?

I suspect it's about scaling and looking right. Similar to cartoon characters having four fingers, if you draw them with five fingers it looks too cluttered.
  • Options
    I dont get it serviced, just the battery changed and "rewotsited".
  • Options
    uie2 said:

I love watches! I have quite a few my favourite is rolex but will never get a real one sadly! I have bought very decent fakes from japan thought off the web

It was hong kong not japan
  • Options
    i should be getting my new Tag watch next week
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Why are Tag so good, are they meant to be a 'status' symbol for celebrities , or do they never break?

Never had one before

EDIT ... just found out why i've never bought one before

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tag heuer watches&sprefix=tag+,aps,225

Blinking eck , you could get a car for that , not much of a car , but a car.

• Options
    A lot of people have them as they kind of live at the bargain end of "quality" watches.

The Porsche Boxter of quality watches if you will
  • Options
    edited December 2013

A lot of people have them as they kind of live at the bargain end of "quality" watches.

The Porsche Boxter of quality watches if you will

Ah cheers for the analogy Suede , i had a green Porsche once , the headlights came on when it went round the track , it was my favourite scalextrix car bar none as a kid.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I forget my watch I regularly look at my wrist!
  • Options
    Always wear a watch. Couldn't imagine going out anywhere without one. I have an Omega Seamaster, and this as a 'beater'. That is me wearing it, by the way (with a black merino wool John Smedley, since you ask):

• Options

Why are Tag so good, are they meant to be a 'status' symbol for celebrities , or do they never break?

Never had one before

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tag heuer watches&sprefix=tag+,aps,225

I had a Tag for about 15 years. It was one of the automatic ones. It never went wrong and was a fantastic piece of kit. It cost £900 when I bought sold it for £200 ish on eBay two years ago.

Thus at £700 for fifteen years it cost me less than £50 a year which is what one would pay for a cheap watch every year.
  • Options

Never had one before

Tags are not status symbols. Tags are an entry level watch and are mass produced.

These are the brands real successful people wear

• Options
    edited December 2013
    That sounded arrogant so I apologize. I meant successful people don't advertise. Bit pissed tonight
  • Options

Never had one before

Tags are not status symbols. Tags are an entry level watch and are mass produced.

I'm probably out of date but I thought Patek Philippe was the ultimate watch brand? There's one on ebay at the moment for US$180k.
  • Options
    An article in The Economist suggests that, component-wise, it's actually almost impossible to buy a Swiss watch that isn't a Swatch! Here's an extract:
    "At present only a few high-end watchmakers can do without Swatch: for example, Patek Philippe in Switzerland and Robert Loomes in Britain. But such Swatch-shunners typically make only a few (costly) watches each year. Firms that make larger batches of not-quite-so-pricey watches still need Swatch. So its retreat from the parts market will cause turmoil, and probably more consolidation."
    The full article: economist.com/news/business/21571943-industry-ripe-shake-up-time-money
  • Options
    Some of the comments on here are embarrassing. Didn't take long for it to descend into a pissing contest.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    cafcfan said:

Never had one before

I'm probably out of date but I thought Patek Philippe was the ultimate watch brand? There's one on ebay at the moment for US$180k.
    This. Patek Philippe is still the ultimate watch brand. One sold at Sotheby's for 11 million US dollars in 1999 & is still the most expensive watch ever sold. The cheapest one you will find is around 25,000 US Dollars. They only produce a limited supply every year, which helps keep the prices very high.
  • Options
    High priced watches aside, wasnt it the case that there were/are just 5 main/key swiss watchmakers...tag, rolex,omega ? Who else ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013

High priced watches aside, wasnt it the case that there were/are just 5 main/key swiss watchmakers...tag, rolex,omega ? Who else ?

Maurice lacroix?
    Rue du rhone?
    Raymond Weil?
  • Options

Swatch
  • Options
    Omega are actually owned by Swatch, as are brands like Longines, Tissot, Rado, Blancpain, Breguet & Hamilton.
  • Options
    Most surprising think about this thread is that some of you lot can tell the time without asking for help :-p

I'm currently sporting a 3 year old Skaagen which has the number 3 missing 'cos I smashed up the face putting the back on after a battery change. I knew that £1 shop battery would turn out to be a bargain :'(
  • Options
    edited December 2013

The original big 3 Swiss watchmakers were Patek Phillippe, Vacheron Constantin & Audemars Piguet. This was back in the 1940s however & the more recent emergence of companies like Rolex, Swatch & Jaeger Le Coultre has certainly shaken up the old order of things.
  • Options
    Rolex were Formed in 1905 and moved to Switzerland in 1919, so I would imagine that they were around in the 1940s.

It's a matter of history that their approach to marketing has made them a more recognisible brand. I doubt that their watches are give times those that cost a fifth of the price, but this applies to all branded goods from trainers to cars to footballers. The extra price doesn't bring a proportional increase in quality the price grows exponentially as the quality does. Gareth Bail is not three times as good as Rooney, and certainly not good enough on his own to bet a team of ten £8m players!
  • Options
    Always wear a watch, but like most things, I'm not a label person. I own a sekonda I've had for over 20 years that's still going strong. The most expensive of my collection (which is about 12) is a fossil which was a present and cost about £150. For the prices the big brands are selling for, I'd expect it to do more than tell the bloody time..............
  • Options

Always wear a watch, but like most things, I'm not a label person. I own a sekonda I've had for over 20 years that's still going strong. The most expensive of my collection (which is about 12) is a fossil which was a present and cost about £150. For the prices the big brands are selling for, I'd expect it to do more than tell the bloody time..............

Some of them have the date on too! :)
  • Options

Rolex were Formed in 1905 and moved to Switzerland in 1919, so I would imagine that they were around in the 1940s.

Yes, of course they were, but they were a relatively small company at that time. They kicked on through the 1950s, 1960s & 1970s with huge marketing expenditure, as you say, to establish themselves as the modern giant that they now are.