Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

takeover reasons why to go ahead with it

2»

Comments

• Options

WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to stay

Simples. :-)

I know your tongue is firmly in your cheek, WSS. But it really isn't that simples. I've watched Charlton play at three different home grounds (four if you count the two spells at The Valley seperately). And I think it may well be time to watch them at another one, as long as it doesn't involve a geographical rupture across the other side of London like Selhurst (and in this case it doesn't).

During a game at the Valley a couple of weeks ago, I was having a pre-match beer outside the Royal Oak and it was so crowded on the pavement that supporters were standing in the road. The traffic couldn't pass and gridlock built up and the police had to get involved to clear it. It struck me then that major sports stadia in tightly congested residential areas are really no longer appropriate in this day and age.

After the game I was waiting at the railway crossing because the barrier was coming down and watched a couple of dozen fans duck under it rather than wait or use the bridge - and that view was reinforced.

I love The Valley. I first went there 48 years ago and joined the Sunday morning work parties to clear the derelict ground so that we could return. And I'm excited about going there this afternoon. But I'd love to see us play at a swanky new ground that's fit for the next 48 years with decent access and great facilities.

Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur play Champions League football successfully enough in residential areas as have Liverpool.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to stay

I know your tongue is firmly in your cheek, WSS. But it really isn't that simples. I've watched Charlton play at three different home grounds (four if you count the two spells at The Valley seperately). And I think it may well be time to watch them at another one, as long as it doesn't involve a geographical rupture across the other side of London like Selhurst (and in this case it doesn't).

During a game at the Valley a couple of weeks ago, I was having a pre-match beer outside the Royal Oak and it was so crowded on the pavement that supporters were standing in the road. The traffic couldn't pass and gridlock built up and the police had to get involved to clear it. It struck me then that major sports stadia in tightly congested residential areas are really no longer appropriate in this day and age.

After the game I was waiting at the railway crossing because the barrier was coming down and watched a couple of dozen fans duck under it rather than wait or use the bridge - and that view was reinforced.

I love The Valley. I first went there 48 years ago and joined the Sunday morning work parties to clear the derelict ground so that we could return. And I'm excited about going there this afternoon. But I'd love to see us play at a swanky new ground that's fit for the next 48 years with decent access and great facilities.

Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur play Champions League football successfully enough in residential areas as have Liverpool.

That's true Len but looking to the future as stadia become old and untenable for many clubs it will not be possible to rebuild on existing sites because people just don't want it anymore. Grounds like The Valley are dinosaurs from the past in terms of location in tight residential streets. It must change. As for Chelsea and Liverpool well both have been looking for new sites for years. Eventually it will happen. Tottenhams regen of WHL is the product of a local authority bending over backwards in an attempt to keep Spurs in situ because there is literally nothing else going for the immediate area.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to stay

And all three are struggling to upgrade their grounds where they are. All would have moved if their were suitable options. Still can't understand why Liverpool haven't moved, with so much derelict ground around them and Liverpool in general. I think it has held them back for years.

Not that we are any way similar to these 3 clubs.