Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

takeover reasons why to go ahead with it

Well why not go to a lovely new 40,000 seated? The valley has history but I would rather move to the peninsular and be in the premier league than be at the valley and be in the championship

Comments

• I don't think a new stadium will automatically grant us rights to the Premiership.

It's not as simple as new stadium with Prem or Valley without.
  • Cos them's the choices, obviously ...

How about Championship on the peninsula and Premiership at The Valley?
  • Well I think it is rick
  • edited November 2013

Well I think it is rick

It may be, but it's a lazy assumption in my view. I don't have a closed mind on the subject, but I want to see the evidence. I'm responding to you because you've asked the question, but I think there are a lot of people making the assumption without bothering to see if it stacks up.
  • Excellent another takeover peninsula thread
  • Well I think it is rick

It may be, but it's a lazy assumption in my view. I don't have a closed mind on the subject, but I want to see the evidence. I'm responding to you because you've asked the question, but I think there are a lot of people making the assumption without bothering to see if it stacks up.
    I don't think it does unless we own the ground and the investment is long lasting 10-20 years+
  • Bloody hell we've only been back 21 f*cking years we won't be moving if any new owners have any sense
  • I feel like I am a Labour supporter in the 80s when the Conservatives sold off all the utility companies and said it would be beneficial to all.

It might have been then to investors with money and to the taxpayer as surely it helped with tax cuts.

Thirty years on though it doesn't look so clever.

Don't look on the short term gain over long term stability even if isn't so sexy.
  • edited November 2013

I feel like I am a Labour supporter in the 80s when the Conservatives sold off all the utility companies and said it would be beneficial to all.

It might have been then to investors with money and to the taxpayer as surely it helped with tax cuts.

Thirty years on though it doesn't look so clever.

Don't look on the short term gain over long term stability even if isn't so sexy.

Sums it up really!
    Put another way ... Where we are today - in the championship and at the Valley the issues and the potential fans have nothing to do with new stadia on a rental contract - its all about finishing 6th and having a crack at the Play-off Final...
    Once we are in the Premier League different ball game...
    Why's everyone letting the tail wag the dog FFS ...bottom line its all about result vs Ipswich and developing the squad to move the club on . New owners give us a crack - simples
  • Sponsored links:

• The thing is, we supporters have a much stronger affinity with our ground than the average fans of other clubs. Maybe the younger generations who didn't haul themselves to selhurst don't feel the same, I don't know. The valley isn't part of our history, it is our history. No reason why it can't be our future either.

So, to answer the original question, I'll choose the valley and championship football everytime.........................

• So, to answer the original question, I'll choose the valley and championship football everytime.........................

Really?! Are you that narrow minded that a change cant be for the greater good?

I love the valley and I did trapse to selhurst and upton park, but I'm not naive enough to deny that progression happens.

Now I know a new ground may not work out for the best, we may have it half empty, endless pitch problems, hell it might even collapse due to subsidence on that ground, then where would we be?
    But im also not against it, even the powers that be look at all the facts and weigh up the pros and cons and they decide that it is in our best interest, then so be it.

The valley is a huge part of our history, and I hope it has some part to play in our future, but if not then so be it.
  • to finally end takeover threads
  • if this new bloke gave powelly 10 mil we will go up

• So, to answer the original question, I'll choose the valley and championship football everytime.........................

Really?! Are you that narrow minded that a change cant be for the greater good?

I love the valley and I did trapse to selhurst and upton park, but I'm not naive enough to deny that progression happens.

Now I know a new ground may not work out for the best, we may have it half empty, endless pitch problems, hell it might even collapse due to subsidence on that ground, then where would we be?
    But im also not against it, even the powers that be look at all the facts and weigh up the pros and cons and they decide that it is in our best interest, then so be it.

The valley is a huge part of our history, and I hope it has some part to play in our future, but if not then so be it.
    This

• Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to stay

Simples. :-)
  • Think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. There was nothing about a take over in the Standard last night and I've just checked the official website and nothing on that.
  • WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to staying

I'm 61, and if we move for the benefit of the club and its future, I'm more than happy to move.
  • Benefit the club? How? Where are the 25,000 new fans going to come from?
  • Benefit the club? How? Where are the 25,000 new fans going to come from?

If there is success they will come. Might take years to build up but it's possible. Do you remember target 10,000. There's no rush. Charlton will be around long after we are gone. I would hate to think that this is all there is.

• Sponsored links:

• Why is success more likely away from the Valley? How can anyone tell that we wouldn't end up like Coventry?
  • Why is success more likely away from the Valley? How can anyone tell that we wouldn't end up like Coventry?

Or Man City. The point is we have no idea. That's what the future brings.

That's exactly why I said if it benefits the club? Until you know all the proposals, you won't know will you? If everything is in place and a move would be successful, then surely you would want to move, by that time the valley should be sold out every game and who knows ground capacity might even have been extended to its maximum.
  • How can renting a ground be better than owning it?
  • LenGlover said:

How can renting a ground be better than owning it?

That is indeed the bottom line.

• LenGlover said:

Who is to say we wouldn't own it ? You could also argue that property owning is a very British thing. The model of municipally owned stadia works well in Europe.

• edited November 2013
    WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to stay

I know your tongue is firmly in your cheek, WSS. But it really isn't that simples. I've watched Charlton play at three different home grounds (four if you count the two spells at The Valley seperately). And I think it may well be time to watch them at another one, as long as it doesn't involve a geographical rupture across the other side of London like Selhurst (and in this case it doesn't).

During a game at the Valley a couple of weeks ago, I was having a pre-match beer outside the Royal Oak and it was so crowded on the pavement that supporters were standing in the road. The traffic couldn't pass and gridlock built up and the police had to get involved to clear it. It struck me then that major sports stadia in tightly congested residential areas are really no longer appropriate in this day and age.

After the game I was waiting at the railway crossing because the barrier was coming down and watched a couple of dozen fans duck under it rather than wait or use the bridge - and that view was reinforced.

I love The Valley. I first went there 48 years ago and joined the Sunday morning work parties to clear the derelict ground so that we could return. And I'm excited about going there this afternoon. But I'd love to see us play at a swanky new ground that's fit for the next 48 years with decent access and great facilities.

• Incorruptible addick, I wholeheartedly agree with your post, however I been going for 55 years.
  • LenGlover said:

Who is to say we wouldn't own it ? You could also argue that property owning is a very British thing. The model of municipally owned stadia works well in Europe.

Not in Italy it doesn't. Teams there are trying to buy or build their own grounds for that reason.

But I agree that the ownership or the conditions of the lease, especially the share of non-football income, rent, etc will be key
  • WSS said:

Under 30s want to move
    Over 30s want to staying

I'm 61, and if we move for the benefit of the club and its future, I'm more than happy to move.
    Agreed