Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Awful misses

13»

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

I think there was a Kanu one where he struck the crossbar from directly beneath it. He couldn't have repeated that if he tried

For wba. Absolute joker
  • Options

McBobbin said:

I think there was a Kanu one where he struck the crossbar from directly beneath it. He couldn't have repeated that if he tried

For wba. Absolute joker
    Not quite as I remember it, but impressively bad nonetheless.

http://youtu.be/1jQG73v7X0U
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Andy Jones Oldham away....cannot remember what year...was on the plastic pitch i think......shocking

If I remember right he slid in and missed from 3 yards out blasting over the bar (how he done it god only knows?)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that was indeed possibly the best/worst ever. If only for the look of utter disbelief and embarrassment on Andy Jones's face as he ended up on his arse and the ball sailed into the back row. Nobody in the ground knew how he had managed to do it - including AJ. That's when he started looking for the divot. I'd forgotten it was astroturf which makes it even funnier...

The Robert Lee miss v Luton in '87 was a classic, too. And he did it at least once more that season on a Sunday lunchtime at Wimbledon when he was clean through and and just dribbled the ball into the keeper's hands (probably Beasant?), as if he was a defender ushering the ball to safety.

If we're talking pens rather than open play - Steve Brown's Jonny Wilkinson effort one night at the Valley about a dozen years ago in a shoot-out v Oxford in a joke cup game. He hit it so high it would have gone over the the tips of the rugby uprights at Twickenham. A once in a lifetime shot: you could have offered him a million pounds and he never would have managed to get that sort of elevation on the ball again no matter how hard he tried...

• Options
    Jones looked at the pitch (astroturf) and the linesman (he wasn't offside). Didn't know who/whatelse to blame.