Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

People who eat with their mouth open

2»

Comments

• Options
    Big Sam chewing gum. Yuk!image
  • Options
    Bus and train travel etiquette seems to have gone completely out of the window, the English ways of sitting as far from others as possible and NEVER sitting next to someone if a seat is available elsewhere are totally disregarded.
    My pet hate at the moment (besides chicken bones on the floor) is people who sit on the outside seat and make no attempt to move if someone has to sit next to them.
  • Options

I've just been on a train (which is a rarity for me these days) and a bloke opposite has been munching on a pack of fucking scotch eggs or something, but every mouthful has been eaten open mouthed accompanied by a revolting 'ntyum ntyum' noise.
    It was driving me mental, but I kept thinking he'd finish in a mo. The ignorant fucker just kept doing it.

My wife reckons there's about three people at work who do it at their desk and it drives her mad too.

Are we alone in finding this disgusting?

They are uncouth and have limited manners.

One of my oldest and best friends does this, his flat is virtually inhabitable and hygiene levels more or less zero. Don't know whether it is connected
  • Options

Chunes said:

I live in Hong Kong and it makes me feel sick, never got used to it. My missus slurps her noodles, spaghetti or whatever, followed up by a massive swallowing sound and everything in between. She says that it's polite to the chef to make noises.

It's a fundamental cultural difference so I try not to complain, but it does makes my stomach turn

On my third year in China and it still grosses me out.

Slurp slurp chomp chomp, spit on the floor, have a cig, slurp slurp.
    I knew a girl like that. Didn't make a noise when she ate though.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I live in Hong Kong and it makes me feel sick, never got used to it. My missus slurps her noodles, spaghetti or whatever, followed up by a massive swallowing sound and everything in between. She says that it's polite to the chef to make noises.

It's a fundamental cultural difference so I try not to complain, but it does makes my stomach turn

Definitely a cultural thing. Spent a month in Beijing back in the 90's and had a lot of trouble coping with it, especially at breakfast. Each to their own I suppose.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2013
    Definitely not each to their own. If you are in your own front room then you can eat with your mouth open. If you are on public transport, noisily eating, or chewing gum like a bleedin' cow is not acceptable. That person has no right to impose what they are doing on others. Its disgusting, shows a total lack of consideration.
  • Options
    vff said:

Definitely not each to their own. If you are in your own front room then you can eat with your mouth open. If you are on public transport, noisily eating, or chewing cum like a bleedin' cow is not acceptable. That person has no right to impose what they are doing on others. Its disgusting, shows a total lack of consideration.

Have a feeling that someone will comment on this before too long.....

• Options
    vff said:

Definitely not each to their own. If you are in your own front room then you can eat with your mouth open. If you are on public transport, noisily eating, or chewing cum like a bleedin' cow is not acceptable. That person has no right to impose what they are doing on others. Its disgusting, shows a total lack of consideration.

Does one not mean "chewing gum" ???
    Just asking. ;)
  • Options
    vff said:

When you are living in another country you kinda have to accept the things they do.
  • Options
    That would be right TCE.

Stu, In China, I understand, that you may have to put up with it, but on London or other UK public transport, it is out of order. Have you talked to your Chinese friends about it ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe Boris can get a law passed...no hang on, he eats with his mouth open.

• Options
    vff said:

That would be right TCE.

Stu, In China, I understand, that you may have to put up with it, but on London or other UK public transport, it is out of order. Have you talked to your Chinese friends about it ?

Of course I have, they explained why it happens and I respect that.
  • Options
    Sister in law does this and also regularly talks with her mouth very full. It's got so bad that she phoned the other day and opened the conversation with her mouth full and she initiated the call.
  • Options
    Has anyone considered that an inability to breathe through the nose for whatever reason only leaves the option of breathing through the mouth.

In other words opening the mouth whether eating or not.

That might explain some of it.
  • Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Has anyone considered that an inability to breathe through the nose for whatever reason only leaves the option of breathing through the mouth.

In other words opening the mouth whether eating or not.

That might explain some of it.

Hmmm, you may have a point, but I'm not sure I buy that.
    I'm pretty sure that when I've got a very heavy cold and can't breathe through my nose, I still make the small effort to eat with my mouth closed, taking breaths between mouthfuls. It's not that hard.
    Also, if people really can't do that, for whatever reason, why would they eat a whole packet of savoury snacks on the train where everyone has to suffer it.
    Sorry, I just think it's pig-ignorance.
  • Options
    plenty of local 'habits' bother me in China....

(it's better I don't start a list)

but eating noises just don't affect me....
  • Options
    edited November 2013

plenty of local 'habits' bother me in China....

(it's better I don't start a list)

but eating noises just don't affect me....

It doesn't effect you because your'e probably listening to your i Pod on a train, annoying your fellow passengers because all they can hear is the hiat.

I'm going to start another thread about i Pods on trains :-)

• Options
    you trying to set me off? :)

it's not so much ipods on trains, as ipods on planes over here ~~~ without headphones!

that doesn't happen in europe, does it?
  • Options
    Siv, I didnt know i Pods had speakers...and people actually think you want to listen to their music!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013

I've just been on a train (which is a rarity for me these days) and a bloke opposite has been munching on a pack of fucking scotch eggs or something, but every mouthful has been eaten open mouthed accompanied by a revolting 'ntyum ntyum' noise.
    It was driving me mental, but I kept thinking he'd finish in a mo. The ignorant fucker just kept doing it.

My wife reckons there's about three people at work who do it at their desk and it drives her mad too.

Are we alone in finding this disgusting?

Was he a fat f*88k too! People who eat on trains always seem to be fat. Anyone who eats on a short haul train must be if they can't wait til they get home.
  • Options
    Not as bad as taking your teeth out.
  • Options

Not as bad as taking your teeth out.

or putting eye drops in. I witnessed that this morning.
  • Options
    I once sat next to a bloke on the bus who was cutting his toe nails. Swear to God.
  • Options

Siv, I didnt know i Pods had speakers...and people actually think you want to listen to their music!

oops... i meant ipads

• Options

oops... i meant ipads

I wasn't correcting you, I wouldn't know an i pad/i pod if it poked me in the eye...I don't even have a mobile phone, or TV, or dvd player...all too complicated for an old boy like me.

• Options
    scot

you trying to set me off? :)

it's not so much ipods on trains, as ipods on planes over here ~~~ without headphones!

that doesn't happen in europe, does it?

Me and Mrs MAM had a row on the train from Carlisle to Manchester with a -bunch of middle aged folk who thought it fun to play their Ipads at full volume much to the annoyance of everyone else in the carriage. I offered them some headphones but unfortunately it went over their heads. Eventually they turned the damn things off.

• Options
    I was in Laos earlier in the week and the 3 clients I was with were eating with their mouths open, so I got it in stereo!
  • Options

I was in Laos earlier in the week and the 3 clients I was with were eating with their mouths open, so I got it in stereo!

That's surround sound.
  • Options
    Is it acceptable to drink alcohol on a train ? I have a friend who commutes long distance and on the evening journey back they are all on it ! But travelling short distances it seems to be shunned?