Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

People who eat with their mouth open

edited November 2013 in Not Sports Related
I've just been on a train (which is a rarity for me these days) and a bloke opposite has been munching on a pack of fucking scotch eggs or something, but every mouthful has been eaten open mouthed accompanied by a revolting 'ntyum ntyum' noise.
It was driving me mental, but I kept thinking he'd finish in a mo. The ignorant fucker just kept doing it.

My wife reckons there's about three people at work who do it at their desk and it drives her mad too.

Are we alone in finding this disgusting?

Comments

• No, you're not, it's gross.
  • I might be a miserable old sod now but i'm sure people never used to eat on trains and buses, not only does it look horrible but smells horrible to.
    I've just got off a 124 and a woman was eating mcdonalds, as soon as she'd had enough she just dropped the rest to the floor.

Bring back the birch.
  • Like many things they obviously do it because they've never been told not to.
  • Height of bad manners. Keep your gob shut when you eat, or don't eat in public.
  • Disgusting, my old man used to go nuts if I ever did it as a kid.
  • Totally obnoxious
  • I live in Hong Kong and it makes me feel sick, never got used to it. My missus slurps her noodles, spaghetti or whatever, followed up by a massive swallowing sound and everything in between. She says that it's polite to the chef to make noises.

It's a fundamental cultural difference so I try not to complain, but it does makes my stomach turn
  • Doesn't bother me, but I lived far and wide and it's quite common in other cultures.
  • Bothers me no end. Also people chewing gum, I cant stand the noise or view.
    Might be OK in some cultures but not most. Certainly not western culture, where I live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

I live in Hong Kong and it makes me feel sick, never got used to it. My missus slurps her noodles, spaghetti or whatever, followed up by a massive swallowing sound and everything in between. She says that it's polite to the chef to make noises.

It's a fundamental cultural difference so I try not to complain, but it does makes my stomach turn

This is fair enough. If I was in Hong Kong and that's the cultural norm, then yes, I'd put up and shut up too.

The bloke today was on a train from London Bridge to Sidcup. I assumed he was British, but even if he wasn't, He should've shut his noisy piggy mouth.
  • Bothers me no end. Also people chewing gum, I cant stand the noise or view.
    Might be OK in some cultures but not most. Certainly not western culture, where I live.

Gets me mad too : food or chewing gum, but also nail-biting.
    As for the Chinese, well,, not so long ago, the great Mao would receive his visitors and have a chamber pot next to him for spitting.
    Not surprising, I read somewhere that he never brushed his teeth.
  • My girlfriends old man does it and a bloke at work is the worst when he eats an apple. The whole office can hear.

Gets right on my tits.
  • I suppose one hand for scotch eggs the other for pork scratchings.
  • Made my kids from an early age go in another room to eat if the done it, honest.
    HATE it and not hard to not do it.
    Laziness.
  • Can we also include people who yawn and don't put there hand over their mouth. Happens all the time and it's gross. I don't want to see someones crappy teeth and smell their rank breath.
  • Can we also include people who yawn and don't put there hand over their mouth. Happens all the time and it's gross. I don't want to see someones crappy teeth and smell their rank breath.

I've just had to have a word with my dog about that one :-)

• Pigs

Unfair to pigs , SHG !

• I've found that keeping my mouth shut makes it very difficult to get the food in.
  • Kinda weird to watch someone eat open mouthed or not.
  • Sponsored links:

Nobody was watching anything.
    However, it was impossible not to hear the bloke's mouth squelching and slurping. To be honest, I never actually saw him eat with his mouth open, because I had no intention of looking at him, but I can't imagine any circumstances where he could have been making such noises with his mouth closed. I suppose he may have been playing a recording of a dog licking its balls while he repeatedly brought snacks out of his bag, but I think it's unlikely.

Not much different from the thread anger when it was easier to avoid something that will irk you.

• Chunes said:

I live in Hong Kong and it makes me feel sick, never got used to it. My missus slurps her noodles, spaghetti or whatever, followed up by a massive swallowing sound and everything in between. She says that it's polite to the chef to make noises.

That's a really interesting one. So, does Mrs Chunes have the hump if you don't do it? Is she currently on Happy Valley Life complaining to her friends that you won't eat with you mouth open and that she has to make allowances?
  • Used to call that 'eating like a washing machine', because you can see it all going round and round.
  • Perhaps my number one pet hate. Animal behaviour.
  • Chunes said:

On my third year in China and it still grosses me out.

Slurp slurp chomp chomp, spit on the floor, have a cig, slurp slurp.
  • Chunes said:

I'm Chinese yet I don't know where that comes from....Sounds like an excuse to me.People rarely pay attention to such kind of things here but I've never heard that it's a tradition to do so.For me,people eating with their mouths open is a truly bad sight to see and I do hate it,but I can always choose to look away and ignore them.The thing that I totally can't stand is the noise they make.I have lunch with my colleagues every day and sometimes they do make noise while eating.I've never pointed that out to them but I'm sure if I do,they'll be sorry and become aware of it,rather than say things like 'it's our culture' - because it's obviously not.

But then again,China is so big that there're major differences even within the country.People's way of life and perspectives of certain things tend to vary from province to province.It might be simply me being brought up in a different environment from where your missus was.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm assuming his girlfriend is Hong Kong Ren, rather than Chinese but the point still stands, plenty of people have told me if a man doesn't make a ton of noise whilst he eats it's a sign of disrespect.
  • Like I said,it might just be a cultural difference within this huge country.I've heard my friends complain about such kind of behaviour (making noise while eating),too.It's not seen as a compliment towards the chef where I live,just a typical bad habit.

• Chunes said:

On my third year in China and it still grosses me out.

Slurp slurp chomp chomp, spit on the floor, have a cig, slurp slurp.
    I knew a girl like that. Didn't make a noise when she ate though.