Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

worse gig you've ever been to but who you expected to be good?

Comments

• Badger said:

BTW that Pistols gig at Ravensbourne art College was ticket only as far as I can remember, Pistols contract to play was £400.

They shouldn't have been paid 40 pence to be honest (tickets were 50p, I think). It was mostly covers, which they could barely play. They may have done some of their own songs, I really can't remember and they all sounded the same, anyway. It was one of their first gigs and they hadn't yet come up with Anarchy or God Save The Queen. My brother was working the bar and we got a few free beers, which I seem to remember was the only good thing about the evening. Saw them a few months later at the 100 Club and they were better, but still crap.

Also saw The Jam's first 100 Club gig, when they stood in at the last minute for Roogalator because Danny Adler had been taken ill. That was probably the second worst gig I ever saw!

I was the drummer in the support band for the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club on 25 May 1976, and shared the dressing room with John Lydon and the rest. All a bit of a shambles, but rather good fun.

Think that's the night Strummer turned up and met Lydon for the first time, too.

• Swervedriver at the Venue New Cross.

I'm quite interested in this - they were shoegazers, weren't they? Sub My Bloody Valentine stuff? When was this gig and what was so awful about it?
    Couldn't tell you the exact year, it was around 1993. I loved their first album Raise and I still listen to their stuff today.

They were a bit heavier than My Bloody Valentine.

The gig in question was terrible. Sound was all over the shop, all drums, could barely hear the guitar or vocals.

It was a massive disappointnent to all present. They were pretty big in their day and the place was packed. Most people had the same opinion.

Swervedriver fact - Expressway from the album 99th dream was used in Aussie Soap Home and Away. Played at a surf club dance!
  • Went with a couple of mates to see Ian Brown and having not really been into the Stone Roses I went with an open mind. Abysmal is an understatement, couldn't hold a note and the crowd was full of moody blokes with faux Madchester swaggers. I left after four songs and met my mates later in the pub.
  • Depeche Mode at Hammersmith Odeón on the Blasphemous Rumours tour. Dirge, and monotonous drivel. Never bought another álbum by them (though I quite liked the Enjoy the Silence single. I think I paid a fiver from a tout, which turned out to be about five pounds over priced.

Opposite for me Ken. I loved early Mode, in fact the only time in my life I've bought a ticket from a tout was to see them at Hammersmith Odeon. This was for the A Broken Frame tour. I had a ticket for one night and loved it so much I went back the next. Was really pleased later on when recordings from these gigs appeared as extras on some of the (too) many 12" singles they released.
  • Yeah, I'd been looking forward to seeing them live for agaes, but something completely did'nt work for me. In the same era, I went to every OMD and Ultravox concert I could, and I hugely regret having not seen Japan and Soft Cell, but Depeche never did it for me afterwards.
  • edited November 2013

Yeah, I'd been looking forward to seeing them live for agaes, but something completely did'nt work for me. In the same era, I went to every OMD and Ultravox concert I could, and I hugely regret having not seen Japan and Soft Cell, but Depeche never did it for me afterwards.

Numan on Monday , Depeche mode on Tuesday also managed to see Blancmange on Friday night .
    I remember seeing Japan at drury lane in the 80`s , a great night , mick karn and sylvian vying for the spot light that night , for me OMD are a great night out , show me someone who engages more with the audience than Andy McClusky , he is a great front man who can create at great atmosphere . Sorry to take things off thread .
    Worst for me was maybe ultravox at southend last year , Midge ure just seemed to want to get things over and done with and outer there .
  • Saw Blancmange at The Gold Mine, Canvey before Happy Families was released. Brilliant gig, Depeche Mode were all in the audience.

Only saw OMD on a comeback tour, but McClusky was amazing. I never thought someone as old would keep the energy up like that for the whole gig but he did.
  • Stig said:

Depeche Mode at Hammersmith Odeón on the Blasphemous Rumours tour. Dirge, and monotonous drivel. Never bought another álbum by them (though I quite liked the Enjoy the Silence single. I think I paid a fiver from a tout, which turned out to be about five pounds over priced.

Opposite for me Ken. I loved early Mode, in fact the only time in my life I've bought a ticket from a tout was to see them at Hammersmith Odeon. This was for the A Broken Frame tour. I had a ticket for one night and loved it so much I went back the next. Was really pleased later on when recordings from these gigs appeared as extras on some of the (too) many 12" singles they released.
    It that the show which was released on the extra DVD of the ABF re-issue? http://remasters.depechemode.com/02_abrokenframe.html
  • boogica said:

Depeche Mode at the O2. Next week.

Brilliant band seen most of their gigs every time they tour uk, they played crystal palace stadium a few years back now and its probably the worse concert they av done probably b cos acoustics where terrible , but every concert since has been brilliant saw them at the O2 earlier this year and they where superb, and must say after all these years still going strong unlike most of the new bands.
    To be honest, I don't know any of their stuff, at all. My wife's favourite band, and it's a birthday treat for her.

I keep winding her up by referring to them as OMG, and singing Enola Gay.
    They are definately an aquired taste my wife reckons when we av em on in the car , she keeps saying something aint right on this motor , seriously i think they are superb hope u av a great night.
  • boogica said:

boogica said:

Depeche Mode at the O2. Next week.

Brilliant band seen most of their gigs every time they tour uk, they played crystal palace stadium a few years back now and its probably the worse concert they av done probably b cos acoustics where terrible , but every concert since has been brilliant saw them at the O2 earlier this year and they where superb, and must say after all these years still going strong unlike most of the new bands.
    To be honest, I don't know any of their stuff, at all. My wife's favourite band, and it's a birthday treat for her.

I keep winding her up by referring to them as OMG, and singing Enola Gay.
    They are definately an aquired taste my wife reckons when we av em on in the car , she keeps saying something aint right on this motor , seriously i think they are superb hope u av a great night.
    Have seen Depeche Mode around 10 times or more, first time at Wembley Arena for the Violator tour and last time in Seattle in 2009. When on form (like they apparently are this current tour) they are brilliant live. Hope you have a great evening!
  • Sponsored links:

• Talking of aquired tastes, Yes at Loftus rd was a bit of a strange one.
  • and ELP at the Oval.
  • I saw DM lots of times in 1980/81, absolutely loved em, then just can't get enough came out and they went big time. Spoiled it for me although they've made some good music since. Saw Japan, OMD and Ultaravox around the same time, also saw Ultravox with John Foxx singing. Went to see Ultravox recently...absolute tosh!! Also The Fall at Koko a couple of years ago, Mark E Smith in a wheelchair...Cack!
    I'm an oldie but I do love Editors, also, White Lies, but they disappointed at the O2 a couple of years back, not because they were bad but because it was at the O2!

They were bloody awful at Lewisham Odean - 1980ish. Trevor Horn on vocals.
    Dont know why I actually went, I was never a Yes fan.

• The 3 johns at a club in Boston 1986................................................sh!te
  • The Smith circa 1989/90 outside of Chicago. I swear the gig lasted 45 minutes and they were barely audible.
  • The Smith circa 1989/90 outside of Chicago. I swear the gig lasted 45 minutes and they were barely audible.

I would have thought that being barely audible was a plus at a smiths gig.

It was ... where I was sitting all I heard was Morrissey mumble the lyrics
  • Stig said:

Depeche Mode at Hammersmith Odeón on the Blasphemous Rumours tour. Dirge, and monotonous drivel. Never bought another álbum by them (though I quite liked the Enjoy the Silence single. I think I paid a fiver from a tout, which turned out to be about five pounds over priced.

It that the show which was released on the extra DVD of the ABF re-issue? http://remasters.depechemode.com/02_abrokenframe.html
    Yep, looks like it.
  • The 3 johns at a club in Boston 1986................................................sh!te

Saw the 3 Johns at The Greyhound in Fulham and they were fantastic.
  • Sponsored links:

I'm getting to like you.

It's not a YES gig unless Jon Anderson is singing.

• Yes at the Rainbow in (I think) 1972 or it may have been '73 doing the 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' tour. Tedious in the extreme, was a big Yes fan up to that point.

More recently Roxy Music at the o2 a couple of years back. Just didn't click for me but having read afterwards about Roxy gigs it appears this isn't uncommon.

• Three forgetable concerts. A mate asked me to fill in for someone who dropped out for a Don Mclean gig about 20 years ago.....awful, awful concert....I actually fell asleep with boredom.

Robert Plant at Hammersmith....truly terrible, but the night was saved by Allanah Myles as support who was about to break onto the scene with Black Velvet only to be never seen again.

Clannad RHA (no idea why I went, think it was the same mate as Don McLean involved) Wished I hadnt bothered.

Seen many, many memorable concerts for the right reason though to be fair.

It's not a YES gig unless Jon Anderson is singing.

Correct.

I saw them play again some years later at wembly on their Union tour. Basically all the chaps who had been in Yes over the years excluding the man from the Buggles.
    Not really my thing but a night out is a night out.
  • Not meaning to go off at a tangent, but going back to the early 60's and The Harrow Inn in particular, I don't think I ever saw or heard a poor performance from a covers band. The Wackers were top of the tree...immaculate!
  • TEL said:

Robert Plant at Hammersmith....truly terrible, but the night was saved by Allanah Myles as support who was about to break onto the scene with Black Velvet only to be never seen again.

Was that around 1995, on the back of a decent album? (Before the Page and Plant collaboration later on).

because if so, he was excellent here in Prague. But that of course can happen. I often think how they all manage on these big tours when they pick up a cold or something. You can't just can it when you are feeling a bit rough, knowing that 10,000 people are looking forward to it

• seth plum said:

To square the circle a bit, when an impressed Hendrix first saw Bonham he remarked that Bonham 'has a left foot like a pair of castanets'.

His hi-hat foot?

• hawksmoor said:

seth plum said:

To square the circle a bit, when an impressed Hendrix first saw Bonham he remarked that Bonham 'has a left foot like a pair of castanets'.

His hi-hat foot?

Maybe the sole was coming off his shoe?
  • seth plum said:

Ginger Baker recently said that John Bonham "couldn't swing a sack of shit" - but Baker famously disparages all drummers apart from Elwin Jones and Baby Dodds....