Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

No pipes in Micropubs! Straight from the cask and poured using simple, good old gravity. I recently completed my Cask Marque Cellar Management course, at the Griffin Brewery, Chiswick!
    Too many modern pubs run down their ales during a session and don't change the beer or even replace with the same ale. Micropubs have the casks racked, vented, conditioned and tapped ready for immediate use when required.

Congrats on your cellar management qualification, Riviera. How will you control the temperature of your casks? I know there are cooling jackets, and recently read a reference to a device that is located within the cask itself. What is this and how does it work?

In August I enjoyed a week's walking holiday on Romney Marsh; another visit to the Red Lion at Snargate, known locally as Doris's, was essential. The pub is renowned nationally among aficionados of unspoilt rural beer-houses: it has been run by the Jemison family since 1911 and comprises three small low-ceilinged rooms, one with a marble counter serving ale and cider direct from the cask. Doris has been behind the bar for 63 years and licensee for 27 of them; her daughter Kate helps out. There is no draught lager, just four or five optics, no food other than crisps and pickled eggs, and entertainment is provided by toad-in-the-hole, which entails pitching coins into a small wooden box from four yards. On my previous visit about five years ago, Doris gave me a peach as big as a cricket ball plucked from her garden.

The only down-side to this idyll is that the casks on a stillage behind the counter are not cooled, and in the heat of August the beers and local cider are disappointingly tepid.

• Options
    Well my ale experience pretty much extends to John Smiths, so look forward to having a dabble.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Good article, and liking the stubble! Looks like I'll be bringing my Fosters cans from the offy, so let me know the corkage charge :-)

You just cannot drop the lager can you? Although I bet you have!

I assure you and all other non-believers that the range of cask conditioned ales available these days is so vast that there really is something for everyone.
    The two myths about Real Ale are that it is warm and flat. We'll believe me those two statements could not be further from the truth. Cask conditioned ale is a live living product, everyday keg lager is not. Although of course there are cask conditioned lagers available too.
    The beer produced by modern microbreweries like our local, Hopstuff in Woowich is very popular with young people, male and female. The days of real ale being just for fat, middle aged, beardy trainspotters are over, although those chaps are more than welcome in The Long Pond along with everyone else.
    What? Palace supporters welcome?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Good article, and liking the stubble! Looks like I'll be bringing my Fosters cans from the offy, so let me know the corkage charge :-)

I assure you and all other non-believers that the range of cask conditioned ales available these days is so vast that there really is something for everyone.
    The two myths about Real Ale are that it is warm and flat. We'll believe me those two statements could not be further from the truth. Cask conditioned ale is a live living product, everyday keg lager is not. Although of course there are cask conditioned lagers available too.
    The beer produced by modern microbreweries like our local, Hopstuff in Woowich is very popular with young people, male and female. The days of real ale being just for fat, middle aged, beardy trainspotters are over, although those chaps are more than welcome in The Long Pond along with everyone else.
    What? Palace supporters welcome?
    We are a neutral pub as far as football and politics are concerned. However no Essex or Surrey supporters allowed.
  • Options
    Good luck Riviera. Sounds like a great venture. Love my ale and will be sure to pop in when over that way.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Ha, I hardly recognise you, although tbf I don't even recognise myself these days & 1987 is some time ago.

I'll pop over when you open.
  • Options

Riviera said:

No pipes in Micropubs! Straight from the cask and poured using simple, good old gravity. I recently completed my Cask Marque Cellar Management course, at the Griffin Brewery, Chiswick!
    Too many modern pubs run down their ales during a session and don't change the beer or even replace with the same ale. Micropubs have the casks racked, vented, conditioned and tapped ready for immediate use when required.

Congrats on your cellar management qualification, Riviera. How will you control the temperature of your casks? I know there are cooling jackets, and recently read a reference to a device that is located within the cask itself. What is this and how does it work?

In August I enjoyed a week's walking holiday on Romney Marsh; another visit to the Red Lion at Snargate, known locally as Doris's, was essential. The pub is renowned nationally among aficionados of unspoilt rural beer-houses: it has been run by the Jemison family since 1911 and comprises three small low-ceilinged rooms, one with a marble counter serving ale and cider direct from the cask. Doris has been behind the bar for 63 years and licensee for 27 of them; her daughter Kate helps out. There is no draught lager, just four or five optics, no food other than crisps and pickled eggs, and entertainment is provided by toad-in-the-hole, which entails pitching coins into a small wooden box from four yards. On my previous visit about five years ago, Doris gave me a peach as big as a cricket ball plucked from her garden.

The only down-side to this idyll is that the casks on a stillage behind the counter are not cooled, and in the heat of August the beers and local cider are disappointingly tepid.

Casks stored on a stillage in a temperature controlled beer room. A 6kw J&E Hall air handling unit maintains the optimum temperature for ale, 11-13C.
  • Options

Riviera said:
    Ha, I hardly recognise you, although tbf I don't even recognise myself these days & 1987 is some time ago.

Me, you and our Millwall mate Kevin. I wonder where Rob Crisp and Geoff Wicker are? You don't look much different, seen you at away games, a thin Rodney Bewes. I am 5 stone heavier than we worked together, 27 years ago.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Me, you and our Millwall mate Kevin. I wonder where Rob Crisp and Geoff Wicker are? You don't look much different, seen you at away games, a thin Rodney Bewes. I am 5 stone heavier than we worked together, 27 years ago.
    I reckon Rob may live in Chislehurst. I saw him on the last Ch X train to Chislehurst, Petts Wood & Orpington about a year ago, but he was half asleep, so I didn't say anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    He was a Money Broker like me but disappeared from the City before I did. Kevin STILL works for Barclays! My last job at BGC was at the Barclays H/O in CW and Kev was there too. Be good to have a little Barclays Bank Bromley reunion, we could get Rob Glazebrook to perform!
  • Options
    Algarve knows Rob Glazebrook. NB it's Jeff Wickett :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

. NB it's Jeff Wickett :-)

Elfin 'ell! You're not my supervisor anymore! Jeff, Geoff or Fred. Who gives a toss? Grahame Sladden is barred.
    Do you know or did you realise how corrupt that Senior Securities Section was? So many sacked for dodgy lending.
  • Options
    this thread is taking an interesting turn. Corrupt? British retail banking? Shorely shum mishtake, I understood it was just a few bad eggs in the City.

I think I'm going to learn a lot, at the Long Pond...:-)
  • Options
    I see the Old Loyal Britons in Greenwich has been awarded an entry in the 2015 Camra Good Beer Guide. That's quite an achievement for a new venture. Well done, Strasburger.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

The success of a pub is reliant on well kept beer but there is an even more important factor and that is the quality of the Landlord.

Yes Timothy Taylor is a nice drop.

Or are you referring to the tosser behind the bar?

:-)
  • Options

I see the Old Loyal Britons in Greenwich has been awarded an entry in the 2015 Camra Good Beer Guide. That's quite an achievement for a new venture. Well done, Strasburger.

I wonder how the planning app for the building is progressing. Last I looked there were quite a few formally opposing the development on the councils website.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

He was a Money Broker like me but disappeared from the City before I did. Kevin STILL works for Barclays! My last job at BGC was at the Barclays H/O in CW and Kev was there too. Be good to have a little Barclays Bank Bromley reunion, we could get Rob Glazebrook to perform!

If you want good beer and Rob Glazebrook, he's appearing this Friday night at the excellent Grape & Grain (discount for CAMERA members) in Upper Norwood...

I'm sure he would love to play in your place when it opens Riv.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Good old Rob, not seen him for over 25 years. No music in my place, one of the many conditions.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

The success of a pub is reliant on well kept beer but there is an even more important factor and that is the quality of the Landlord.

Yes Timothy Taylor is a nice drop.

Or are you referring to the tosser behind the bar?

:-)
    You won't find Timothy Taylor's in my pub Len, I can guarantee that, as for assurances that there won't be a tosser behind the bar.........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So Riv, is it The Abbey Plumbing shop & how are things progressing ?
    I've been past this week & there are no signs of life.
  • Options
    That's the one. Builders on their 3rd week, believe me plenty of life inside. It's a very long shop and most of the work being done at the rear end. It looked like this when I took it over
  • Options
    Riviera said:

most of the work being done at the rear end.

Ooo err :-)
  • Options
    You are gonna be an absolute nightmare of a guvna
  • Options

I wonder how the planning app for the building is progressing. Last I looked there were quite a few formally opposing the development on the councils website.
    An old chum from university 30 years ago came up to London from Manchester for the weekend, so I took him on a pub crawl on Friday night. He likes to cop entries in the Camra Good Beer Guide; the first two are in the 2015 edition: Royal Standard, Blackheath; Pelton Arms, east Greenwich; then along the river: Cutty Sark, Yacht, and Trafalgar Tavern. Hoped to finish at the Old Loyal Britons, but was shocked to find it boarded up! What has happened, Strasburger? So we repaired to the Spanish Galleon for pints of Shep's Master Brew. Being a Friday night the pubs were boisterous, noisy, and terrific fun.

• Options
    Riviera said:

That's the one. Builders on their 3rd week, believe me plenty of life inside. It's a very long shop and most of the work being done at the rear end. It looked like this when I took it over

@Riviera‌

Open before Christmas? Hope so, really looking forward to this.

The Trust would love to meet Clive Efford for a beer to talk about the Labour Party footie plans and other CAFC matters, just wondering if you are on good enough terms to persuade him to maybe have a beer with us at your gaff.
  • Options
    I reckon he might do it if you ask him prague. He's very approachable.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

What Ales would you recommend to lager drinkers then mate?

I'm a stella drinker and apart from the occasional old wallop down bangers (although it's been a while) never even look at ale so, where would be a good start?
  • Options

Riviera said:

What Ales would you recommend to lager drinkers then mate?

I'm a stella drinker and apart from the occasional old wallop down bangers (although it's been a while) never even look at ale so, where would be a good start?
    IPA - drink of the gods
  • Options
    Personally I find IPA a bit wishy-washy but I guess that would make it ideal for a lager drinker. I think a big issue for a lot of lager drinkers is that they are accustomed to drinking their beer cold. The 11° of a pub real ale or 20° of a typical bottle at home can come as a bit of a shock. For that reason I'd recommend breaking yourself in gently with something that you can put in the fridge. Perhaps a Sierra Nevada pale ale, an Old Speckled Hen or even a Marsden's Pedigree. Alternatively (and it's not really the best time of year to start) why not try a nice summer ale? Something like Brewers Gold, Exmoor Gold or just about anything else with 'gold' in its name. There are loads of great beers out there Dave, it's fantastic that you're prepared to give some a go.