Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Most of the stuff Brains churn out is good.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Just trying a Czech beer called Kozel. Not bad. Whatever happened to the lunchtime pint! ? Just one other person in the pub.

Pisshead !

you're back early...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I used to work at Fremlins, on the other side of Faversham High St from Shepherd Neame. Fremlins was a lovely drop, brewed with East Kent Goldings hops. We also used to brew English Ale (sold in bottles) anyone remember that? For a 21st party we put some in a cask at a higher alcohol content than normal...it was amazingly good. Whitbread had more presence in the South so they had more impact locally in terms of brewery closures, but all the "big six" at the time were equally guilty. I did part of my pupillage at Wethereds at Marlow, also a lovely brewery.

Remember a pint of Wethereds Bitter - when I was working in London in the 70s and early 80s, several pubs in the West End served it on handpump.

I've still got a Fremlins Elephant Beers ashtray.

And a Ruddles Fine Ales one also.

Good thread by the way. What chance have we got of educating philistines like AFKA ..... ?

Stolen ashtrays eh Oggy ? Noted ;0)

• Options

Whitbread were the arch assassins of many a fine ale during the 1980s. The list includes Brickwood Pompey Royal, Strong's Country Bitter, Fremlins Best Bitter and Tusker. Any I've missed out?

Yes - Wethered of Marlow: Special, Trophy, Dark Mild and Winter Royal. Bought by Whitbread in the 1980s and promptly closed down. For their acquisitions and closures, Greene King are the new Whitbread.

• Options

I used to work at Fremlins, on the other side of Faversham High St from Shepherd Neame. Fremlins was a lovely drop, brewed with East Kent Goldings hops. We also used to brew English Ale (sold in bottles) anyone remember that? For a 21st party we put some in a cask at a higher alcohol content than normal...it was amazingly good. Whitbread had more presence in the South so they had more impact locally in terms of brewery closures, but all the "big six" at the time were equally guilty. I did part of my pupillage at Wethereds at Marlow, also a lovely brewery.

Agree with you that Fremlins was a lovely drop. I used to drink it at the Mounted Rifleman, an isolated house near Luddenham, in the orchards between Faversham and Teynham. It was an old-fashioned place without handpumps; Bob, the guvnor, would draw the beer from a cask in the cellar, bring the pints up on a tray, and serve through a hatch from his kitchen. Never much trade, but ale always in perfect nick. The Rifleman closed about 15 years ago and is now a private house.

• Options
    Thanks Stig, AA & VF for your replies.....what a great pic of the taps, Stig - I actually purchased that T-shirt for my son a previous visit to the Superstore...! AA: In Ontario, we would have to import the Fuller's through our Provincial government's Liquor Control Board. Their taxes & duties make the price for personal consumption unreachable, unfortunately.....I will just to have to return to London & the Valley more frequently during the season to sample "Pilot" (thanks, VF) and all my other Fuller's favs....!!!! Cheers all!
  • Options

I am a beer drinker myself, but of what is available Cristal is my favourite bottled beer - a crisp pils made by Super Bock. The two major breweries you mention now make a much
    wider range of bottled beers available in supermarkets. Both make a Preto (stout) and a stronger fruitier lager now. One of the exhibitors at the beer festival is a brewery from Mafra called The Mean Sardine, which I know nothing about, so I am looking forward trying their wares...

I have to question whether anyone who drinks a beer called "Cristal" should really be on this site? Bet it tastes like shit too, lol
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Remember a pint of Wethereds Bitter - when I was working in London in the 70s and early 80s, several pubs in the West End served it on handpump.

I've still got a Fremlins Elephant Beers ashtray.

And a Ruddles Fine Ales one also.

Good thread by the way. What chance have we got of educating philistines like AFKA ..... ?

Stolen ashtrays eh Oggy ? Noted ;0)

Well, yes and no Shooters .......... I've no doubt the Ruddles one was, erm ....... shall we say aquired by my then flatmate. He left it behind when he moved out, so it became mine by default.

The Fremlins one I bought for 10p in a Jumble Sale back in the mid-70s.

It's probably a 1950s design ....... it's a primrose colour, Fremlins Elephant Beers printed on the rim and the inner part has the image of an elephant in black, and on it's back 'Fremlins Beers' within a red label.

How's that for tray spotting? Proper Charlton, right?

• Options

I am a beer drinker myself, but of what is available Cristal is my favourite bottled beer - a crisp pils made by Super Bock. The two major breweries you mention now make a much
    wider range of bottled beers available in supermarkets. Both make a Preto (stout) and a stronger fruitier lager now. One of the exhibitors at the beer festival is a brewery from Mafra called The Mean Sardine, which I know nothing about, so I am looking forward trying their wares...

I have to question whether anyone who drinks a beer called "Cristal" should really be on this site? Bet it tastes like shit too, lol
    I live in Portugal and can't afford what imported bitter there is available... It's the best of a bad bunch mate! :-)
  • Options
    Which European country does beer best?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bitter we do.

Lager I'd say Germany.
  • Options
    If you like your beer in pints, England is the best with Scotland coming a close second, but only for beers with added ingredients (oats, seaweed, nettles etc).
    If you like you your beer in smaller measures, Belgium is the best.
    No other country comes close.

• Options
    PJW1 said:

And the bloke that yells " You know what you've got to do........" Over the PA.

...and then plays music so f***ing loud you can't hear anyone cheering anyway.
  • Options
    I was in my local supermarket earlier and couldn't believe how many people were stocking their trollies with cheap shitty Carlsberg. It just goes to show how effective football sponsorship can be if you get it right. Such a crying shame when you think how many genuinely brilliant English beers there are. I'm sure if I hear one more drinker of factory produced lager-pish tell me that it's their choice and they choose it because they like the taste I shall scream.
  • Options
    Found myself at a family party a couple of weeks back and the Moondance from this lot:

http://www.drinkbritain.com/destinations/6/triple-fff-brewing-company

slipped down particularly well.

• Options
    Update to previous post re: Fuller's in Ontario: apparently, our LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) has insisted that Fuller's be sold in 4-packs vs single cans.....good news is that all of Fuller's products are coming back to Ontario...!!!!
  • Options
    Normally hate all those flavoured beers and think theyre a waste of time but been on the Cubanistos, beer with rum and lime today and they go down a treat!
  • Options
    Off to prague tomorrow.
    Looking forward to re-acquainting myself with jezek and a load more.
  • Options

Off to prague tomorrow.
    Looking forward to re-acquainting myself with jezek and a load more.

Ask for Prague Addick, he'll recommend some local watering holes!

;o)
  • Options
    If you're near Petts Wood I strongly recommend a visit to "One in the Wood". It's a microbrewerypub
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They do 5 or 6 of their own beers. Give your order at the tiny counter and you can see them fill your pint or jug In the back room from a tap on the barrel. Very friendly, lovely beer
  • Options
    Where abouts is it, Bagpuss?
  • Options
    Chislehurst side of the railway, just over the footbridge, opposite the Memorial Hall on Petts wood road
  • Options
    Cheers, Bagpuss. Will check that out. Chislehurst itself is always good for a crawl.
  • Options
    I organised a little beer tasting event for my mates yesterday. Particular recommendations: Aecht Ochlenferla Rauchbier (German Smoked Beer), Brooklyn Brown Ale, Chocwork Orange from the Brentwood Brewery.

Beer-1

Beer-1
  • Options
    Dunkel Weissbier, I believe that's one for the oxymorons thread.
  • Options
    Maidstone CAMRA beer festival - Fruit research centre East Malling - 11 am onwards Saturday 6th Sept.

Great selection of beers served in huge marquees surrounded by orchards in the midst of some of the best Kent Countryside accompanied by a selection of local bands and a good selection of eats.

Have been for the last three years and it is not to be missed!

• Options
    Now, that Weihenstephaner is the Dogs.
    Beautiful stuff.
  • Options
    Love that smoked beer....a cross between Frazzles/bacon fries and Guinness....better than I have made it sound...can only do two (at most) though and always at the end of the evening, as it's a tough act to follow, unless going for a 'clean' pilsner...but even then, the first few mouthfuls...urgh...

Wife bought me a mixed 'Brew Britannia' crate from www.beerhawk.co.uk yesterday - have a had a few from them...not cheap but a good way to find new beers...