Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

I assume you are talking about lager, not beer. There are a huge array of superb English beers (ales, bitters, stouts, etc). Most of the supposedly superior foreign lagers are mostly likely brewed in a vat in Northampton or Burton-on-Trent under license.

This. Sickening to hear shit like Fosters spoken about in the same breath as something like... EPA!
  • Options

There's that proud Englishman on the wind up again... ;-)

Lol........I actually like most Beers, and WE English do make some good stuff, as I pointed out.
    The thread is obviously some sort of wind up, I merely joined in. Sense of humour departed since you absconded?
    I think Algarve was joking too mate (hence the big smiley face at the end of his post).
  • Options

There's that proud Englishman on the wind up again... ;-)

Lol........I actually like most Beers, and WE English do make some good stuff, as I pointed out.
    The thread is obviously some sort of wind up, I merely joined in. Sense of humour departed since you absconded?
    I think Algarve was joking too mate (hence the big smiley face at the end of his post).
    I was - no offence meant M-A-T, just a cheeky wind up after our discussion on another thread.
  • Options
    This is an excellent bottled beer.
  • Options
    I guess it's better than the normal peroni?
    been put right off that beer mainly cos of the cost but the taste is not the best out there.

prefer moretti for an Italian beer. which I've noticed has started to become more regular in pubs nowerdays. which for me is a touch.
  • Options
    Italian beer franks the fool and his money proverb
  • Options
    Can't beat a pint of Estrella
  • Options
    I'm currently working my way through this list. I only started in November, but I've had some good ones already.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dnpohqo35hhb21/The List.doc
  • Options
    Was in the city on Wednesday night and up the west end last night, beer prices have literally gone through the roof (haven't been up to central London for a while) and won't be in a rush to return either, it's not cheap down here but at least it's still less then 4 quid for a pint.
  • Options
    What is it with this Doombar beer? I had never heard of it until I arrived two weeks ago, and it has been more or less omnipresent in every pub I have been in since? Not a bad drop in fairness, but it seems to have gone from nought to 100 in no time at all?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What is it with this Doombar beer? I had never heard of it until I arrived two weeks ago, and it has been more or less omnipresent in every pub I have been in since? Not a bad drop in fairness, but it seems to have gone from nought to 100 in no time at all?

Brewed by Sharp's - previously a small family brewery in Oggy land. Then .....

"On 2nd February 2011 the brewery was bought by Molson Coors Brewing Company for £20 million"

• Options

Mmm...love a pint of Doombar. Been spreading along the coast for quite a while but it does feel like everyone's been let in on the secret in the last couple of years though. Funny how certain beers come into fashion isn't it?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In Dusseldorf for a short time and getting a taste for their Altbier, washes down a bratwurst nicely!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I guess it's better than the normal peroni?
    been put right off that beer mainly cos of the cost but the taste is not the best out there.

prefer moretti for an Italian beer. which I've noticed has started to become more regular in pubs nowerdays. which for me is a touch.

It's a lot better. Fantastic flavour and it's 6.6% ABV so you know you've had a drink after 6 or 7 bottles. It's pretty expensive though but you get what you pay for in life.
  • Options
    But beer is not Ale, right?
  • Options
    Ghost Ship is my tipple of choice at the moment.
  • Options

Mmm...love a pint of Doombar. Been spreading along the coast for quite a while but it does feel like everyone's been let in on the secret in the last couple of years though. Funny how certain beers come into fashion isn't it?
    "Come into fashion" or get the full weight of a multi-national organisation running a promotion behind it.

Unfortunately it wouldn't have just happened by accident - it's being pushed massively.
  • Options
    I think it was that tudor farm or something, they said peeps used to drink ale then beer came along
  • Options
    Attended a Beer Festival in Kent when I was over in August, lots of English micro-brews. All the beers that I tried (quite a few) were lovely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

"Come into fashion" or get the full weight of a multi-national organisation running a promotion behind it.

Unfortunately it wouldn't have just happened by accident - it's being pushed massively.
    Yes and not the pint it was. Sharps brewed wonderful beer, but then so did Youngs. Thank goodness for the micro breweries.
  • Options
    Yeah, Doombar is everywhere these days. It's ok but i think it's limiting variety. Currently drinking a lot of porter and hoping the obsession with really sharp hoppy beers dies down. Oddbins has a surprisingly good range of beers.
  • Options
    Friend of mine recently opened a bar/restaurant that has 25 beers from American microbreweries all on tap. They're amazing, I never knew that scene even existed. Great White Shark and Kona probably the best of the bunch.

Also always liked that pub in Greenwich that brews its own beers. Think it's called The Union?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Brewed by Sharp's - previously a small family brewery in Oggy land. Then .....

"On 2nd February 2011 the brewery was bought by Molson Coors Brewing Company for £20 million"

Cheers for that mate - I did wonder if something like that might be the case.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Also always liked that pub in Greenwich that brews its own beers. Think it's called The Union?

The only good thing about the Union is that it keeps all of the local helmets out of the Richard next door. Awful place.
  • Options
    The Hopstuff Brewery is a new microbrewery which has just opened on the Arsenal Development. I think you can now get there beers in a few Greenwich pubs.

https://www.facebook.com/hopstufflondon
  • Options

10 years ago a pint of Doom was a superb beer.
    Compared to those days something has changed - IMO now it seems bland and characterless.

Many far better brews available to tickle the taste buds.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Yes and not the pint it was. Sharps brewed wonderful beer, but then so did Youngs. Thank goodness for the micro breweries.
    Agree about Doombar, I didn't know about them selling up, but had thought it wasn't what it used to be.

Try and drink Jail Ale (after Dartmoor jail ,its also brewed on Dartmoor) when I can find it (but also seems a bit different of late, and the marketing has got a lot slicker, hmm...)
  • Options
    I've become a bit of a Belgian beer buff over the last couple of years. It's pricey to buy over here but there really is something for everyone, including bitter style beers.

My current favourite is Maredous tripel, a 10% beer that is strong but isn't overpowering in it's alcohol taste. Obviously it's alcohol content does affect you quickly if you drink it like a pint of British beer.

Belgium is so close that some mates and I pop out every few months to stock up. It's actually quite a little hidden gem of a country. Most people think of Belgium as boring but the people are lovely and the food is great. We've been going to Flanders and it's always an excellent day out.
  • Options
    10%! You are having a laugh... That's wine! LOL. I love Belgium - as you say lovely people and a lovely place, but all them fruity tooty bevvies and stupidly strong beers don't work for me JC, the normal Norman ones are fine for my old fart pallet... :-)