Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Ok, forget the beer, this is the best reason to come to Portland. Duckfat restaurants original milk shake. The best milkshake on the planet   

• Options
    Ok, forget the beer, this is the best reason to come to Portland. Duckfat restaurants original milk shake. The best milkshake on the planet   

14 bucks for a couple of sardines on toast!

I love my visits to North America but I just can't see a situation any time soon when I'll be able to afford to go back.
  • Options

Ha, ha! There's a few of us on this thread. 

😂
  • Options
    After watching that game, I need a beer. Fortunately, bars are open, and it’s wild beer day at Novare Res. Starting with the really good stuff - Cantillon Lambic d’Aunis - lambic aged with Aunis grapes. Beautifully balanced, not too sour, not too fruity, slightly dry finish. 

• Options
    Tilquin - Physalis. 6% lambic made with gooseberries. Way up there on the acidity scale, but you can still taste gooseberries (just). 

Cascade - Cuvée du Jongleur (2017). 9.4% blend of three different sours aged in oak barrels. Not as acidic as the Tilquin, but it’s still up there. 

• Options
    Oxbow Frambiovese. 8% farmhouse made with raspberries and Sangiovese grapes. Much more subtle than the first few. Nowhere near as sour, and the fruit flavor took a while to develop. I think it was a little too cold when poured. 

Liquid Riot Bourbon Blushing Star. 7.5%. Back to acidity. Its base beer is a bit average, but this version aged in bourbon barrels is pretty good. Quite acidic, but the bourbon and peaches both come through 

Allagash - Once Upon An Orchard : Honeyberry. 6% and very fruity. Not sweet, but the fruit overpowers any sourness. 

• Options
    Last two sours for me - I’ve had the others before. 

Liquid Riot - LRV Blend 3 - I was expecting more from this. 6%, pleasant enough, but not much in the way of sourness. Definitely brett, but very mild. 

Final one, Orono - Everlasting Farm : Orange. 5.8%, definitely orange, nice sourness, but not too much, which is a good thing at this point. 

I’ll leave you in peace until my next beer adventure, unless I find something magnificent in one of my local hangouts

• Options

Ok, something different. Urban Farm Fermentory. Although they do make some beer, they are really a cider/kombucha maker. 

I haven’t been here for a while, so a bit of kombucha tasting. These are all 1.5%. 

Anise Hyssop - I had to look up hyssop, used as a medicine and paired with anise, it’s a bit bland but smells like germaline. 

Arctic Kiwi - can’t say I tasted any kiwi. Just tasted like sour black tea, which is fine. 

Ginger - tastes like ginger, and one of my favorites. 

Ghost Chili - not as ferocious as I expected, but still hot. I won’t be drinking that by the pint, but it certainly livens up the tastebuds. 

Hopped - definitely hopped, but sweet/sour. An odd one. 

What measurements are those beers? They look tiny. Also are they jars you are drinking out of?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Ok, something different. Urban Farm Fermentory. Although they do make some beer, they are really a cider/kombucha maker. 

I haven’t been here for a while, so a bit of kombucha tasting. These are all 1.5%. 

Anise Hyssop - I had to look up hyssop, used as a medicine and paired with anise, it’s a bit bland but smells like germaline. 

Arctic Kiwi - can’t say I tasted any kiwi. Just tasted like sour black tea, which is fine. 

Ginger - tastes like ginger, and one of my favorites. 

Ghost Chili - not as ferocious as I expected, but still hot. I won’t be drinking that by the pint, but it certainly livens up the tastebuds. 

Hopped - definitely hopped, but sweet/sour. An odd one. 

What measurements are those beers? They look tiny. Also are they jars you are drinking out of?
    They are small - 4 ounces I’d guess. I assume the little jars are cheaper than tasting glasses. Full pours come in real glasses. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Just had my first one of these. Think they're a quid each in tesco atm. Didn't like it much to start with but the dark, malty flavour grew on me as the bottle went down. Ended up really rather liking it and will buy a few more at the offer price. I think a lot of people won't like this - it's VERY malty and 'wortish' with no discernible hoppiness, but I like the dark style for winter evenings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In the Bromley South spoons atm (waiting for Paul Elliott)and sampling this, a bit of a watered down Punk IPA.  I'll move on to that next.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Discovered this so swerved the Punk, I'm glad I did as this is very sharp and citrusy, a cracking drop.

• Options
    Didn't know you could get Mad Squirrel in 'Spoons...good brewery based up in Herts...Hemel I think, with a decent tap room in St Albans.. Always, always swerve 'Brewdog': shit beer from shit people.
  • Options
    Didn't know you could get Mad Squirrel in 'Spoons...good brewery based up in Herts...Hemel I think, with a decent tap room in St Albans.. Always, always swerve 'Brewdog': shit beer from shit people.
    Spoons cannot go wrong, a wide range of booze at a wide price difference.
  • Options

Hepcat is very tasty, but £7.20 a pint said we only stayed for one!
  • Options
    Good pub, that
  • Options
    My best beer of the year, so far.

• Options
    Where did you find it @Stig?
    I love a porter. 
    Have to say too, Aldi's is very nice
  • Options
    I found it on my desk at work ;) It was a leaving present from a friend. He's from Colchester, so I presume he got it there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a couple of pints of this in Dartford spoons on Sunday. Was very nice. 
  • Options
    I'd never tried Camden Pale Ale before but Tesco has an offer on it - £10 for 12 x 330ml tins - so I bought their last 3 cases. Turns out it is very drinkable, and I picked up a couple of cases of the lager too, also pretty decent. It'll see me through Christmas and beyond.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I had the American IPA, number 16 on the menu.
    A cracking drop and very heavy, something not used to in the past 8 months out here.
    A boozer like this is a very rare find in Brazil.

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'd never tried Camden Pale Ale before but Tesco has an offer on it - £10 for 12 x 330ml tins - so I bought their last 3 cases. Turns out it is very drinkable, and I picked up a couple of cases of the lager too, also pretty decent. It'll see me through Christmas and beyond.
    Glad you enjoyed it, it would have been a blow if after the first can you found you didn't like it!
  • Options
    Visiting Lamplighter Brewery to pick up my subscription beers, and they had this gem on tap. Queen of Hearts -10% barrel aged sour Belgian style quad with strawberries.  Very reminiscent of the original Rodenbach Grand Cru

• Options
    Just love my hazy IPA’s. The Lakeman Cactus Juice is a double hazy IPA at 8.7%. Eddyline at a more mellow 6.1%…
  • Options

Been in Prague for a week, mostly on the pilsner (and variations thereof), but this was a nice drop. Beer of the month in Legends (sports and music bar near IP Pavlova on the red metro line if you're in the area)

• Options
    One good thing about this time of year is that it's dark beer season, so plenty of choice of porters and stouts about.

This was an absolute steal from Lidl's (I think) at £6.99 for 4. Well worth it for a Belgian bock at 7.5%.

• Options
    Winter is miserable, but you're spot on with the dark beer remark. Lovely wood fire and a few bottles of something dark and rich - massively compensates for drizzle and leaf mulch everywhere
  • Options
    Let us all reaffirm our loyalty to beer before the heinous onslaught of dry January