Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The club shop

Comments

• Hate it, dark, soulless and clinical.

pretty much sums it up.
  • Used to go in there regularly; haven't been this season and probably won't. If I want to buy overpriced items with a silly tick on them, I can go down my local high street.
  • cabbie8 said:

Shame we can't get proper kits for the kids instead of the fake ones we sell at the moment. My 3 year old nephew is desperate for a kit but I refuse to buy ones that we sell.

Same here mate , I still find it hard to believe the shop sells snide kids kit !
  • Looks a lot smarter and the lighting seems brighter now than when it first opened.

Overpriced? Maybe but you do get a little tick on your stuff which is very important : - )

Thought the stock was pretty much the same as before. My main gripe is that it isn't a club shop but a Just Shop franchise.

Yes the club shop is a 'cuckoo in the nest' in financial terms, in that closes a revenue stream for additional funds,outside the shop franchise stock.
    I assume CAFC have a degree of control over stock, but then again probably not?.
    For instance selling a book, dvd, programes?photographs, autographs, etc etc.
    Also no discounts except Valley gold, which I understand the club 're-imburse them', at least that was what the manager claimed.
    I suppose you do not have to maintain the premises, and employ the staff?, but I am unconvinced this is a good deal for CAFC, except that it relives someone of having to manage this.
    'Outsourcing' may have advantages, they seem pretty limited here though. When I visited the store at the start of the season, the graphics seemed a little outdated as well.
    Perhaps this is the best solution at least on paper. But then figures on a balance sheet are not the only consideration in my opinion.

• Ken, I don't think you can get a programme in the shop any more. Last time I wanted one (this would have been my last visit to the shop) they sent me off the the Valley Gold window.
  • Looks a lot smarter and the lighting seems brighter now than when it first opened.

Overpriced? Maybe but you do get a little tick on your stuff which is very important : - )

Thought the stock was pretty much the same as before. My main gripe is that it isn't a club shop but a Just Shop franchise.

Also no discounts except Valley gold, which I understand the club 're-imburse them', at least that was what the manager claimed.

Might explain the reduction of the VG discount in the shop.
  • why are kits snide
  • The kids kits dont have Nike on them anywhere , they're not made by Nike . Dunno who makes them but they are fake
  • Arent they Avec, another of the Just Sport brands.

Not fake really but not replicas of the nike kit
  • Mate they're fake . I shelled out last year for kids kits with their name on the back , did it online , and when the kits turn up there isn't a Nike sign anywhere . In my book thats a rip-off and I wont be bothering this year . It now says on the website its 'a replica version based on the home kit' . Why can't Nike just make the kids kits , they do for other clubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps there's a lesson about the futility of always chasing after the latest replica.

I'm proud to support Charlton, and when I go to games I want people to know I support them. I'd hate to be one of those oh-so-trendy people that go matches completely anonymously. Consequently I always like to wear red and to have a Charlton badge on me. I've never quite got to the point of having to have the latest replica though, that seems a bit too much like brand-collecting to me.
  • Shag said:

Mate they're fake . I shelled out last year for kids kits with their name on the back , did it online , and when the kits turn up there isn't a Nike sign anywhere . In my book thats a rip-off and I wont be bothering this year . It now says on the website its 'a replica version based on the home kit' . Why can't Nike just make the kids kits , they do for other clubs

I agree.
  • Depends on definition of fake really. Definitely not true replica which is what some want.
  • Do they still sell car air fresheners and stickers and the like?
  • Stig said:

Ken, I don't think you can get a programme in the shop any more. Last time I wanted one (this would have been my last visit to the shop) they sent me off the the Valley Gold window.

That was the point I was trying to make Stig, not just about programmes or specific items, they have a product range.
    Why they do not sell programmes seems a little odd, but presumably they have an agreement not to have to supply this type of thing.
    They probably regard it as not very profitable, but is one small example where it would be for the CAFC.
    I assume that CAFC must have agreed to this, or it was not within the contract.
    Wether anybody at the shop has the authority to sell CAFC related items I have no idea, probably not as they would be part of a large corporate brand.
    I assume the same applies to say a Charlton player bringing out a clothing range as I think one did last year, which may be of interest to fans, they are probably not interested?
    In the same way if I wanted to sell photographs, or anything else.

• Stig said:

Ken, I don't think you can get a programme in the shop any more. Last time I wanted one (this would have been my last visit to the shop) they sent me off the the Valley Gold window.

That was the point I was trying to make Stig, not just about programmes or specific items, they have a product range.
    Why they do not sell programmes seems a little odd, but presumably they have an agreement not to have to supply this type of thing.
    They probably regard it as not very profitable, but is one small example where it would be for the CAFC.
    Wether anybody at the shop has the authority to sell CAFC related items I have no idea, probably not as they would be part of a large corporate brand.
    I assume the same applies to say a Charlton player bringing out a clothing range as I think one did last year, which may be of interest to fans, they are probably not interested?
    I think the problem with programmes and DVDs is that they are CAFC products so the shop/Club wouldn't get the same cut.

It does seem odd. I know nothing about retail but I would have thought that selling programmes and DVDs would create more footfall into the shop but the handling of money would be a problem.

Ben Kensell did say at East Kent Addicks that he was trying to get the shop to sell programmes and DVDs
  • The shorts haven't even got the badge on, it's jsut a plain white pair of shorts!
  • brought my boy the home kit for his birthday, to find when he put the kit on the socks are just red nike ones, nothing wrong in that but to charge £9 for them is a joke when they are £3 in sportsdirect.
  • Perhaps we should apply for planning permission to put a second floor on the club shop? we may get it by 2031..who know's maybe we will be back in the prem by then?!
  • Jarman said:

Perhaps we should apply for planning permission to put a second floor on the club shop? we may get it by 2031..who know's maybe we will be back in the prem by then?!

It's a long walk from the Greenwich Peninsula !
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks a lot smarterlighting seems brighter now than when it first opened.

Might explain the reduction of the VG discount in the shop.
    Was in there Saturday discount is now back to 10%
  • Which CAFC re-imburse the shop I was told...... by the manager..... which does seem like an own goal to me!
  • What would happen tho' if everybody went into the club shop and lit up a fag huh?

• Stig said:

Sorry Ken, I misunderstood. Or as the kids would say, my bad.
  • I also heard that the reason one of the stalls near the arch had to fold is because they had to many items with the Charlton badge on and Nike said no to the copyright?

I have also been told if you look at the stall that is there now you will find nothing with the badge on? They are also not allowed to sell pin badges as the club were not happy about it!!

• I also heard that the reason one of the stalls near the arch had to fold is because they had to many items with the Charlton badge on and Nike said no to the copyright?

I have also been told if you look at the stall that is there now you will find nothing with the badge on? They are also not allowed to sell pin badges as the club were not happy about it!!

To be honest if I had paid a lot of money for a franchise for say Fred Perry gear and someone was setting up a stall outside the shop selling stuff with the Fred Perry logo on but wasn't paying for copyright or rates etc I wouldn't be too happy.

But I do draw the line at no pin badges. The shop's offering is one very poor quality kit badge and lots of old badges from years back
  • To be fair though how many years before Nike came along did the stalls sell gear with the badge on?

How come Macron, Joma and many more before them had no problem with the sellers outside?

I found that most of the time the stalls outside had better gear then the club shop!
  • To be fair though how many years before Nike came along did the stalls sell gear with the badge on?

How come Macron, Joma and many more before them had no problem with the sellers outside?

I found that most of the time the stalls outside had better gear then the club shop!

Macron, Joma etc were just suppliers while the Club ran the shop. Now Just Sport runs the shop and have a franchise with Nike.

The Club didn't like the stalls selling stuff for the same reasons Nike/Just sport don't and did try to get some of the stalls moved or closed down for the same reason. Some did deals with club and sold club gear I think.

The stalls had a much wider range but then again much lower overheads
  • What's Fred Perry?