Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interview Advice.

13»

Comments

• Options

When you walk in and shake hands, don't do a shimmy and go 'heeeeey, macarana, aaaaaaalright'

Just a little tip

Or the Tim Lovejoy 'schoolboy error' thumb to nose job come to that :0)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    A young lad of 24 came for an interview as an refrigeration engineer yesterday, he was extremely impressive, he knew what he wanted, and where he saw himself in the future. He was fully prepared for the interview, knew everything about my company and done research on our customers. All his paperwork was in order and appropriate for the position and experience he claimed to have, he was smart and well presented, pushed a little high for the salary he wanted, but when the pay structure was explained, he accepted it, he also accepted that our senior engineers had more experience then him, and stated that he wants to learn from them (in my opinion that got him the job). He will be offered the job, must admit it was a pleasent experience, if only other youngsters would follow his lead.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I used some of the advise given on here in what was only my second ever interview and I got the job as long as I don't mess up the one week trial.
  • Options
    Looking for a bit of advice someone has just asked me at the end of an interview when they say do you have any questions, what is a good question to ask, I've only ever had a couple of interviews and so can't really give much advice, all answers appreciated.
  • Options
    Lots of things and a really easy way to do well:

"Mr interviewer, you have been with the firm for Xty years, what do you particularly like about it"

"Are there any specific reservations you have about my application that I can answer for you at this time? "

Plus technical questions of course.

Worth remembering not to ask a question that has already been answered / discussed in the interview - were you not listening ?
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Looking for a bit of advice someone has just asked me at the end of an interview when they say do you have any questions, what is a good question to ask, I've only ever had a couple of interviews and so can't really give much advice, all answers appreciated.

Opportunities for training and progression is a good one.

What will be my priority in this job over the next 6 months?

Why has the vacancy come up?
  • Options
    Thank you PL54 and Carly burn I've past the responses on
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

The bird on reception outside, would ya?
  • Options
    Lol the person asking wants to be that bird!!!!
  • Options
    'What was it about my CV that made you want to meet with me?'

Find out what made you stand out above others and sell it to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got told once, ask what you want to ask. All of the above are very good questions, but don't fall into the trap of asking stock questions like 'where do you see the firm in 5 years time?'

It's a decent question but it's probably something that a recruiter hears a lot. But in the same way, if the recruiter asks you to 'sell them that pen', then they're sloppy as well.

If you've done your research about the company, the conversation will flow and it will feel like a normal chat.

That's always helped me anyway.
  • Options
    resurrecting an old thread here...

haven't had a proper job interview for the best part of 20 years as in general have got the last few jobs by word of mouth and been approached, got one next week for an internal (pretty senior) vacancy which would be quite a big deal to me. Current MD will be interviewing me along with HR, not sure if that's good or bad as I get on very well with current MD, potentially almost easier if it's someone I don't know I think.

Anyway, given that they'll know about me and I know all about the company etc, the sort of usual questions I can imagine coming up in an interview potentially won't.

What I'm looking for really is some questions I can ask them at the end that would potentially make me stand out.

any ideas....
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    1. The job was advertised as circa £**k. At what point is it reasonable to ask what the actual salary is? At the interview? Before? After (if successful)? I'm happy enough with the approx figure but would be nice to know the exact and any increments etc. Or would it be negotiable maybe? Circa £20,000 as an example usually means it's negotiable to a degree maybe they'll offer £19k but be willing to move to £22k. I wouldn't ask in the interview as you know roughly what it is. I'd ask after the offer. Just make sure you don't keep those eggs all in one basket.

2. Has anyone gone from public to private sector before and can suggest any differences in the interview experience? Afraid I can't help here.

3. Any general interview tips etc? I've had a couple of internal ones but the last external was 12 years ago at my current workplace and I was just a kid then. Try to engage with eye contact now and then. Be honest. Be open and don't slate previous roles. Tell them what you've done, not what we've done.

Read the date of the job spec/ad or you'll end up responding to a two and a half year old ad... like me right here.
  • Options

haven't had a proper job interview for the best part of 20 years as in general have got the last few jobs by word of mouth and been approached, got one next week for an internal (pretty senior) vacancy which would be quite a big deal to me. Current MD will be interviewing me along with HR, not sure if that's good or bad as I get on very well with current MD, potentially almost easier if it's someone I don't know I think.

Anyway, given that they'll know about me and I know all about the company etc, the sort of usual questions I can imagine coming up in an interview potentially won't.

What I'm looking for really is some questions I can ask them at the end that would potentially make me stand out.

any ideas....

I was told many years ago by a few that 'the' question to ask was 'do you have any reservations as to whether you think I can do/ am suitable for the job?'

It forces the interviewer to bring up anything they might think makes you unsuitable then you can address it before you leave.

I've used it a good few times now and I got the job on the last three interviews I've had.

However, I passed this gem onto one of my junior colleagues to use in a recent interview and he was told he was arrogant by asking it in his post-interview feedback. He did in fact still get the job, so its got to be a good thing, right?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

any ideas....

I was told many years ago by a few that 'the' question to ask was 'do you have any reservations as to whether you think I can do/ am suitable for the job?'

It forces the interviewer to bring up anything they might think makes you unsuitable then you can address it before you leave.

I've used it a good few times now and I got the job on the last three interviews I've had.

However, I passed this gem onto one of my junior colleagues to use in a recent interview and he was told he was arrogant by asking it in his post-interview feedback. He did in fact still get the job, so its got to be a good thing, right?
    Wow what wording did he use?

There is no wording that you've provided there that could make him seem arrogant!

I reckon he said

'You literally have no reason to not hire me do you?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

any ideas....

I was told to do this when I was unemployed by a few agencies, worked first time with me and got good constructive feedback in the interview itself and a honest assessment of how he saw the interview going, was offered the job a week or so later.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

any ideas....

Wow what wording did he use?

There is no wording that you've provided there that could make him seem arrogant!

I reckon he said

'You literally have no reason to not hire me do you?
    Ha, exactly. To be fair to him, he phoned me up 10 mins after the interview had finished and said thanks for the advice but I've fcuked up and he was on the verge of tears. He's a bit of a wide boy so god knows what he actually said but it wouldnt surprise me if he gave it the pistol fingers and said 'you get me? right bro' or something like that lol.
  • Options
    I'm American and I work in the States, which can definitely have different corporate cultures, and I live in California and work in software, which tends to be a subculture unto itself.

That said, the advice I give people is just be yourself. I know it's really cliched and trite, but I've done a lot of hiring and now do consulting where I'm constantly being "interviewed" formally or otherwise, and people who are genuine, who know who they are and are comfortable with it, is such an underrated skill in the workplace. Sometimes it gets dressed up as "being confident" or "being inquisitive," but if you're genuine, people will detect it (consciously or subconsciously) and they'll respect you more for it.

Just my two cents, like I said, my business world is way different, so keep that in mind.

Best of luck :)
  • Options
    I asked what the salary is during my last interview a week ago. Nobody works for free so it's a perfectly reasonable question!

Be confident and make the interview a conversation. It'll fly by. They want the interview to go well too and it is absolutely not in their interests to be difficult.
  • Options
    Think people are still answering my original question here (which I appreciate) but it was 2 years ago and another poster has bolted on a new question to the thread today.

Just concerned he's going to miss out on the feedback he requires.

Cheers.