Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interview Advice.

I'm sure there has been lots of good advice on here before on this subject so here it goes:

I left school at 16 and joined local gov as a finance apprentice. 12 years later I have just gone for my first ever job outside the Council at a well known utility company and found out today I have been shortlisted for an interview Tuesday week.

1. The job was advertised as circa £**k. At what point is it reasonable to ask what the actual salary is? At the interview? Before? After (if successful)? I'm happy enough with the approx figure but would be nice to know the exact and any increments etc. Or would it be negotiable maybe?

2. Has anyone gone from public to private sector before and can suggest any differences in the interview experience?

3. Any general interview tips etc? I've had a couple of internal ones but the last external was 12 years ago at my current workplace and I was just a kid then.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    1. They usually ask you if you have any questions at the end ive always asked then.

2. No idea always been public.

3. If you make a statement always back it up with examples, keep answers to an acceptable length (dont ramble on), keep eye contact especially if theres more than one person there...oh and stay calm think of it as just a chat.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Same as CSR, I think the best time to ask about the salary (and also when you might hear back) is at the end when they ask if they have any questions. They might bring it up before then anyway.

As for tips, research the role, apart from that just be polite, friendly (but professional) and honest. I'm not sure there's secret tips beyond being knowledgeable about the job, having decent experience and appearing friendly.
  • Options
    Oh, and good luck!
  • Options
    1. Wait till they offer you the job. That is when you're in the best bargaining position.

2 a big corp won't be much different from public sector. By the book, panel and questions based on the JD and PS. Your problem might be convincing them that you can cope in a more commercial environment. Their perception could be that public sector is not a testing.

3. As above read the JD and PS. Have proper, evidenced examples of when you have done each thing. Lots of "I did this last year, I did X Y Z and it was a success because it lead to ABC. Hard fact and figures if possible.

Best to think through 3 or 4 examples of projects you have run etc etc and link those to the JD and PS

Good luck
  • Options
    If you know the approx salary and are happy with that, get through the interview first and look to negotiate up a tad if and when they offer you the job. In terms of prep, ask yourself all the obvious questions and think through your answers. Make sure you do some homework on the company you are looking at joining and work out why you really want to work there and work that into one of your answers if you can before they ask you why?
  • Options
    There's some good advice about interview on the link, it's well worth reading though, there are also some interview videos. Don't forget that the company may research you, so check that your facebook page and other social media matches what you want them to see, or is restricted to friends etc.

http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/interviews/interview-questions
  • Options

1. The job was advertised as circa £**k. At what point is it reasonable to ask what the actual salary is? At the interview? Before? After (if successful)? I'm happy enough with the approx figure but would be nice to know the exact and any increments etc. Or would it be negotiable maybe?
    I always end interviews with the money. I always ask what they are looking to earn and see where we go. I have a band in mind and throughout the interview I am mentally placing someone on that scale dependent on their answers and how well we connect (we are 70 or so employees so I need to make sure they will fit in). If it gets to the point where they ask if you have any questions then thats the time to discuss but hopefully they've already brought it up.

2. Has anyone gone from public to private sector before and can suggest any differences in the interview experience?
    No idea I'm afraid

3. Any general interview tips etc? I've had a couple of internal ones but the last external was 12 years ago at my current workplace and I was just a kid then.
    Be calm and approachable. Be prepared for the occasional curve ball ("what are your weaknesses") and most importantly - react to the person. If they are fairly laid back then try not to be too uptight. If it's a more relaxed and slightly informal interview then they might not want someone who sits like they have a broom up their arse. If you are a nervous person I am told Rescue Remedy works wonders (get it in Boots). Similarly don't crack a joke if it's mega formal.
    Remember - some interviewers are arseholes and relish making people feel awkward.

Cheers.

• Options
    No farting
  • Options
    edited November 2013

1. Wait till they offer you the job. That is when you're in the best bargaining position.

2 a big corp won't be much different from public sector. By the book, panel and questions based on the JD and PS. Your problem might be convincing them that you can cope in a more commercial environment. Their perception could be that public sector is not a testing.

3. As above read the JD and PS. Have proper, evidenced examples of when you have done each thing. Lots of "I did this last year, I did X Y Z and it was a success because it lead to ABC. Hard fact and figures if possible.

Best to think through 3 or 4 examples of projects you have run etc etc and link those to the JD and PS

Good luck

With regard to Henry's point 2. the good news is that they have already shortlisted you but they may still have an out of date prejudice that everyone in the public sector sits around on their arse drinking tea all day so be prepared for a 'do you think you can cope in the "real world"' type of nonsense question. As Henry says large organisations whether public or private sector have a lot in common anyway but you might want to turn the differences into positives e.g. being able to deal with difficult, often confrontational situations with the public, trying to reconcile customer expectations with resources, being expected to do more for less year on year, working in a political environment with competing agendas and priorities, etc, etc.

All assuming you don't sit around on your arse drinking tea all day...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Make sure you give all the interviewers equal attention when giving your answers. Obviously direct your answer at the particular questioner by give eye contact to the others.

Having worked for both sectors and a lot in-between don't have an inferiority complex about coming from the public sector.

If you are confident enough stand out from the crowd, crack a joke even! Remember they have probably been interviewing all day and are bored. They have already decided you have the skills they are looking for otherwise you shouldn't be at the interview.

Before going in I always say to myself. " Are this company good enough for me?".
  • Options
    When they say "Do you have any questions for us" I always used the two below the first one is kinda a good insight into the company you'd be working for and the second spins the Interview round and challenges the interviewer a little

(1) - What do you like about working for the Company
    (2) - What would you say the biggest challenges are in the role
  • Options

Good luck

With regard to Henry's point 2. the good news is that they have already shortlisted you but they may still have an out of date prejudice that everyone in the public sector sits around on their arse drinking tea all day so be prepared for a 'do you think you can cope in the "real world"' type of nonsense question. As Henry says large organisations whether public or private sector have a lot in common anyway but you might want to turn the differences into positives e.g. being able to deal with difficult, often confrontational situations with the public, trying to reconcile customer expectations with resources, being expected to do more for less year on year, working in a political environment with competing agendas and priorities, etc, etc.

News to me, on what date did this change?
  • Options
    research the company you're going to (very important)
    remember pp=ppp (poor preparation = piss poor performance)
    be yourself, not too cocky, not too tense, relaxed and confident
    by all means ask about the proposed starting salary but don't make it a priority
    make eye to eye contact, especially if you're before a board

exude, succeed and start Monday ((:>)
  • Options

When they say "Do you have any questions for us" I always used the two below the first one is kinda a good insight into the company you'd be working for and the second spins the Interview round and challenges the interviewer a little

But don't feel like you have to ask questions. Asking a stupid question won't help.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Good luck

...oh yeah and you might want to mention that whilst you're doing the best job you can in difficult circumstances you're still expected to be polite and professional in the face of ignorant, sweeping, snidey comments designed to undervalue the work you do.
  • Options
    I wouldn't broach the salary question until they offer you the job.

At the end of interviews I always ask them if they "have any other questions or concerns about my experience" which lets you address them there rather than them going away with unresolved concerns about your suitability.
  • Options
    Make sure you are prepared as others have said. They may well ask you what salary you are looking for, this may well be when you ask them to expand on the PACKAGE.

Be careful about cracking jokes, not everyone hsd the same sense of humour. Keep calm, take a few deep breaths before you go in. Don't feel the need to rush answers to questions, be thoughtful and considered. I know its hard to do but enjoy.
  • Options

I'm sure there has been lots of good advice on here before on this subject so here it goes:

I left school at 16 and joined local gov as a finance apprentice. 12 years later I have just gone for my first ever job outside the Council at a well known utility company and found out today I have been shortlisted for an interview Tuesday week.

Cheers.

Hi - if you drop me an e-mail I will send you all sorts of information around STAR technique and the such like.

PL54@hotmail.co.uk
  • Options
    My experience is general but mainly in sales and marketing. Basically the more research and preparation you do beforehand, the better you will perform. The interviewer will be impressed if you have done your homework, look presentable, smile whenever appropriate, ask sensible questions, make it obvious to him/her that you want the job (you can always turn it down if you decide you don't). The way you have asked the questions here makes you sound capable, look in the mirror on the day and tell yourself that you are good enough. If your interviewer is skilled they will be concentrating upon just two questions, can you do the job, and will you do the job. Best of luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Loco said:

Good luck

...oh yeah and you might want to mention that whilst you're doing the best job you can in difficult circumstances you're still expected to be polite and professional in the face of ignorant, sweeping, snidey comments designed to undervalue the work you do.
    Charlton Life is a useful training tool in developing the resilience needed........

:-)
  • Options
    Always take notes -------always. It says your taking an interest in what they are saying (even if not) and it looks like your organised/structured.Ask a question about their reporting lines i.e who reports to you or who do you report to, again shows you have a structured thought process.

Do some research on the company/organisation and have those in YOUR notes.

Have your own Agenda----------what you want to say about yourself . Your selling and much as they are buying. there are two sides to any interview.

If your a female wear a very low cut top !!
  • Options
    I can't add much, but be yourself, not what you think they want you to be. You don't necessarily know what they want, and if you don't get the job, maybe you weren't a fit but that won't be your fault. Also have a read of the link at the bottom. I recently had an interview where they based the questions on this technique. They even told me the questions beforehand so I could prepare. It gives a good overview of your experiences and what you are like. They want to know that you are a good fit for the job, so having lots of examples planned will make you seem like you are serious about the job and can express yourself.

Also, make sure you actually answer the questions, and do your research! (can't be said enough). If you know about the company, and can tell them things that they have done recently, it puts you way ahead.

http://careers.theguardian.com/careers-blog/star-technique-competency-based-interview
  • Options

Always take notes -------always. It says your taking an interest in what they are saying (even if not) and it looks like your organised/structured.Ask a question about their reporting lines i.e who reports to you or who do you report to, again shows you have a structured thought process.

Do some research on the company/organisation and have those in YOUR notes.

Have your own Agenda----------what you want to say about yourself . Your selling and much as they are buying. there are two sides to any interview.

If your a female wear a very low cut top !!

Whilst takin ze notes put on a Herr Flick accent. It will unnerve them.

• Options

But don't feel like you have to ask questions. Asking a stupid question won't help.
    Make sure that your last question is always; have I answered all your questions completely, is there anything your would like me to clarify.

There's more advice on here than you can shake a stick at, I hope it all helps, please let us know how you got on.
  • Options
    don't be late is my number one rule. I wouldn't ask about salary at the first interview. If you get a second interview it's more than reasonable to ask then but I'd expect it would already have been discussed by then. If you get offered the position after 1st interview then great as they will offer at xxx and you are in a good bargaining position as you know they want you. As said above be prepared, be confident, be yourself.

Good luck.
  • Options
    SHG--i dont need to put on the accent--leaving the petrol can on the table during the interview usually does the trick.
  • Options
    Google the interviewers names. Are they on linkedin?
    Found out about a bloke who was interviewing me once.
    It helps when/if the interview goes to smalltalk.

To add to what GH said, if your female, try the short skirt/no alans approach.
  • Options

Good luck

This is excellent advice. I'd really emphasise 3, mainly because this is a clincher for me when I interview candidates. Be in control of what they're looking for, even if you don't have direct experience be able to demonstrate that your own experience is transferable - or that you possess the agility of mind to handle it. Know and understand the job description/person specification as well as you can.

The rules of a private company are much more flexible than that of the public sector, but ultimately they're looking for someone who can deliver what they're asking for and (often) can grow into the role. They won't be expecting you can do everything, but possess the skills to become a success. Make sure you know what the company do, there's no excuse for not being able to answer the 'so what do you know about us' question these days.

Also, be clear about why you want to join them and word it in a positive way. They know money will be a factor so don't mention it at interview (in my view), but make sure they know what you think you can bring to the role and how you think the role will help you grow. Good recruiters recognise that the best candidates need the room to develop in a job as well as being capable of delivering the basic requirements.

Re salary, personally I think you should ask before you're invited for interview so all parties know no-one's wasting their time. No point waiting to be offered the job if their budget is £40k and you're looking for £140k!! However if you've not asked before you've got the interview date then Henry's advice is proper sound, wait until you're offered the job - at that point you're wanted and there will be some wiggle room. In my experience, HR will normally be the ones to offer, and a frank conversation is the best way to go (although be sensitive to when they're telling you they've gone as far as they can).

Good luck!
  • Options
    Just looked back at this for the first time. Have quickly skimmed and there is some excellent and interesting advice from you all so thank you very much.
    I will have a better look at the responses over the weekend and definitely refer to a lot of the points raised when preparing for the interview.

Cheers again.