Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options

SSN Breaking news (10-10pm):

Kevin Pietersen to have scan & injection in his right knee after recurrence of an old injury.

Sometimes you get the impression Pieterson does this for attention.
    NO! You are SO wrong.

It's not sometimes. It's all the time.
  • Options
    Australia Invitational XI close on 271-5.

They were 85-5.

Broad 3 wickets, Finn 2.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/688147.html
  • Options
    Gone through them fairly comfortably this morning. 289-9. Live coverage on 5LiveXtra if you can't sleep.
  • Options
    Rated carberry ever since he was at kent, always had something about him. Sad he's only just getting the chance to show what he can do.
  • Options
    Sure but what a chance? Opening batting in an Ashes series. I feel more sorry for Nick Compton.
  • Options
    303 all out. Finn picks up a Michelle, does that get him the 3rd slot? Probably.
  • Options
    didn't exactly shine in this one.... gone for 4 off 18 balls

stream here if anyone's interested.... no sound but you can stick 5 live on

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/Nov-13--16-Invitational-XI-v-England-Live-from-the-SCG

• Options
    Have Channel 5 got the TV rights to show the highlights for the Ashes? I don't have skysports.
  • Options
    Yeah it'll be on five every evening around 7ish I think
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Yeah it'll be on five every evening around 7ish I think

Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    There are no Ashes highlights on terrestrial t.v.
  • Options
    Yes I dont believe Channel 5 even bid. ITV may agree a package for highlights on ITV4 but at the moment, its sky only unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    CA Invitational XI 304 & 261 (Finn 3-88, Rankin 3-46).
    England 418 & 151-3 (Carberry 50).

England won by 7 wickets.
  • Options
    If Siddle and Johnson are fit and firing it's going to even it up.
  • Options
    No more sleeps! Anyone having a flutter? I'm going 2-1 England
  • Options
    I don't know about a flutter, or the weather, but I think 2-1 England is a good shout. I think we won't lose the Ashes at least, and I wouldn't be surprised at 2-2 either. The Aussies are more settled than before, but I think that Cook and Trott will get it together, Bell with continue his form, and Pietersen will be Pietersen. Root is better at six at this stage of his test career, and Carberry I think will struggle. We need Jimmy and Swanny to be on form, Broad will be mercurial as usual but can win a match when he gets it together. I'm concerned about the 3rd seamer; none are in great form, but at least Finn gets wickets, even if he goes for runs. Prior is better than Haddin with gloves and bat.

Australia have decent bowlers, but lots of injuries. Harris is due another injury, and Johnson, like Broad, can be hot or cold with little in between. Siddle is solid and consistent and never gives up. Their batting is poor, and Clarke's back is a concern. I don't think Warner is the answer to their opening problems, Watson is decent even if he doesn't make many match winning scores, and Bailey is unproven at test level. Smith did well in England but is technically poor, and I really can't stand his face.

BUT the Aussies are more settled than they were in England, our batsmen are prone to collective cock ups, our preparation wasn't great (not helped by the weather), and Australia have home advantage. I can see the Aussies winning the first test, but after than we will be too strong
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Australia 3-2
  • Options

mrbligh said:

Australia 3-2
    I will have a bet with you it will not finish with an Australia win 3-2. We will sneak it 2-1 after losing the first Test.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aussies 2-1 or 2-2 draw. Have a feeling we'll get mullered in this test and be playing catch-up the rest of the series.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

mrbligh said:

Australia 3-2
    I will have a bet with you it will not finish with an Australia win 3-2. We will sneak it 2-1 after losing the first Test.

mmmm perhaps 3-2 is over optimistic given that Australia is experiencing some pretty unusual weather patterns .. I still fancy Oz though .. how about £5 on the result, whatever the score .. you have England and me Australia ?
  • Options
    Does anyone expect England to win the first test? We are slow starters, and scraped through last time against a very poor Austrailia (that said... without Ashton's unexpected turn we would have thumped them). I expect to lose.
  • Options
    Is SwannyG doing his Ashes Diary again anyone know? I found something ages saying he was going to do it, but haven't seen anything since! Was looking forward to that. I'm going to try to stay up to watch until lunch tonight. Doubt I'll make it though.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

mrbligh said:

Australia 3-2

mmmm perhaps 3-2 is over optimistic given that Australia is experiencing some pretty unusual weather patterns .. I still fancy Oz though .. how about £5 on the result, whatever the score .. you have England and me Australia ?
    Done. I still don't think that the Aussie batting line up is strong enough. Smith at number five? We have more match winners and at the end of the day it all revolves around who grabs the opportunity.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

mrbligh said:

Australia 3-2

Done. I still don't think that the Aussie batting line up is strong enough. Smith at number five? We have more match winners and at the end of the day it all revolves around who grabs the opportunity.

you're on .. I won't spend your cash until February .... ((:>)
  • Options
    People predicting 3-2 Australia are simply ignoring recent form!

We are unbeaten in 13 Tests and they have won NONE OF THEIR LAST NINE!

Last year over here the Saffers were undercooked and drew the first two Tests - but smashed the Aussies in Perth once they hit form.

Even against a shite Sri Lanka the Aussies struggled to impose themselves and - don't forget - in 2011 even the Kiwis won a Test here.

This is a piss poor Aussie side, riddled with factions and injuries - we should win the series 3-0.
  • Options
    Just been given gardening leave during my notice at work - perfect timing for the First Test!
  • Options

Aussies 2-1 or 2-2 draw. Have a feeling we'll get mullered in this test and be playing catch-up the rest of the series.

Pretty much my view too, although maybe not quite as bad as a mullering.
  • Options
    I'll be doing my usual. Watch the first session, apart from Perth, kip on the settee with the telly on. Wake up about 5am to watch 1/2 hour before I get ready for work. Listen on digital radio on way to work.

My wife loves us playing Down Under!