Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone on here got a domestic cleaner?

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:

It's got to that time that housework is becoming too much of a chore after work, kids, cooking etc etc and we are thinking of getting a domestic cleaner in our house

Anyone here got one- if so

How much are they charging you? £10ph
    How long do they do? 3hrs
    How frequently? once a week or every few days? Weekly
    What do you get them to do and what do they leave? Don't ask them to do ironing or anything. Occasionally ask for them to give the fridge a going over.
    Do you ever tip them? Get them vouchers at xmas and pay but tell them not to come when we're on holiday.
    Do you feel confident that they aren't rifling through your possessions? Yes.

Also - if anyone is in the Maidstone / Medway area of Kent (specifically Snodland) then fee free to share any reputable companies

thanks in advance

• Options

why dont you do the ironing smudge you lazy fecker

I'm a modern man and do more than my fair share of the domestic (hoovered all the house before work this morning), but ironing I can't friggin stand.
  • Options
    Do people hoover the house before work in the morning?
  • Options
    How much are they charging you? £40
    How long do they do?3 hours
    How frequently? once a week or every few days every 2 weeks
    What do you get them to do and what do they leave? General hoovering polishing, cleaning wooden floors and bathroom et
    Do you ever tip them? No
    Do you feel confident that they aren't rifling through your possessions? Yes although she does move stuff around that drives me mad

Conceptually feel uncomfortabl having a cleaner but money well spent as I have a better work/life balance and do not have to spend the weekend cleaning
  • Options
    For all the people who have cleaners, Would Ya?
  • Options
    I love house cleaning, but I've never been able to secure this type of work, mainly because people think a man can't clean a house. Once applied to an agency for ironing work "Sorry, women only"

ps. It's not really a mans world.
  • Options
    I'll ask my Butler, he might know somebody.
  • Options

people think a man can't clean a house.

ps. It's not really a mans world.

Don't ever do anything to make women think otherwise.

• Options
    I think I must live in another world.

I know my place isn't big (2 bed maisonette) but it only takes about 10-15 mins to hoover round and another 10-15 min to clean the sink/cooker top/bathroom. This is usually done once a week on a sat/or sun depending if we are home or away . Ironing usually done on (non attended) away games whilst watching Soccer Saturday on sky and takes no longer than 2 hours if you include duvets/sheets etc. (I know I live alone but.....)

Only thing I don't really enjoy is dusting & cleaning out the cooker.........usually left too long & last place I rented it was only done when I left after a year (although I do occasionally dust around the TV and visble places like coffee tables/work tops etc)

I wouldn't dream of paying someone £100 - £250 pm to do the above.
  • Options
    Well you wouldnt need to spend that when its just one person.

When i had a small flat and lived alone I had a lady to come in 3 hours per month to give the flat a full top to bottom clean and a shed load of ironing. £30 quid per month well spent and a little luxury.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I know my place isn't big (2 bed maisonette) but it only takes about 10-15 mins to hoover round and another 10-15 min to clean the sink/cooker top/bathroom. This is usually done once a week on a sat/or sun depending if we are home or away . Ironing usually done on (non attended) away games whilst watching Soccer Saturday on sky and takes no longer than 2 hours if you include duvets/sheets etc. (I know I live alone but.....)

Only thing I don't really enjoy is dusting & cleaning out the cooker.........usually left too long & last place I rented it was only done when I left after a year (although I do occasionally dust around the TV and visble places like coffee tables/work tops etc)

If it would only take me 20 to 30 minutes a week I wouldn't pay someone for 3 hours
  • Options

I'm a modern man and do more than my fair share of the domestic (hoovered all the house before work this morning), but ironing I can't friggin stand.

Hopefully you have thick walls, or your neighbours must be well chuffed to be woken up by you hoovering at 7am
  • Options

Hopefully you have thick walls, or your neighbours must be well chuffed to be woken up by you hoovering at 7am
    Who said he turns it on? :-)
  • Options

Ha, my neighbour in the flat downstairs regularly vacuums at 7:00-7:30am on a Saturday morning...and he doesn't even work so could do it anytime in the week he wanted. Twonk was using a 3lb club hammer to nail a picture hook in this weekend around the same time. We have had words...

Back on track I'm more than happy to do a few hours of ironing at the weekend while watching the box but would happily pay someone to hang the stuff on the line if I could.

• Options

Working from home so 8.45
  • Options

Working from home so 8.45
    How many have you managed to crack off so far?
  • Options
    The joy of living alone - having no one to moan at you to clean up
    The negative of living alone - having to clean up
  • Options
    JT said:

The joy of living alone - having no one to moan at you to clean up
    The negative of living alone - having to clean up

This.

• Options
    Buy a robotic vacuum cleaner. Simple.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Ha, I've actually been looking at the i-robots quite recently. They look great. The reviews of them are quite mixed though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I have considered this in the past, but I think it would be unfair on Mrs M-a-M and would have an adverse effect on her improvement plan.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Huskaris said:

Ha, I've actually been looking at the i-robots quite recently. They look great. The reviews of them are quite mixed though.

fembot

• Options
    Oh if only. Good god. I'd never go out again.
  • Options
    I guess if you earn enough why not have a cleaner, you might end up living longer

similarly a child minder if it makes economic sense - that you can earn enough, including voucher tax incentive of about 90 a month.

If you have the room for similar money an au pair for older kids at school, then your kids are in your house rather than someone else's. We went that route recently and it works reasonably well. It's about 200 quid for childcare full time, would be less now ours it at school. Au pair gets 100 quid a week plus bed and board, plus he gets one on one and gets taken to football and swimming clubs two nights a week, that he wouldn't get otherwise.

• Options
    razil said:

I guess if you earn enough why not have a cleaner, you might end up living longer

similarly a child minder if it makes economic sense - that you can earn enough, including voucher tax incentive of about 90 a month.

If you have the room for similar money an au pair for older kids at school, then your kids are in your house rather than someone else's. We went that route recently and it works reasonably well. It's about 200 quid for childcare full time, would be less now ours it at school. Au pair gets 100 quid a week plus bed and board, plus he gets one on one and gets taken to football and swimming clubs two nights a week, that he wouldn't get otherwise.

Do you get "one on one" with her included in that?
  • Options
    Lol, shes blonde 20 french, but its more like having another older daughter - she drinks all the effing milk!!
  • Options
    No euphemism intended
  • Options

I've decided it's a necessary evil. Wifey and I both work 45ish hours a week, have 2 kids (5 and 1) who just create mess and a 5 bedroomed house. Fed up with spending the weekends tidying when I want to spend what little down-time I get with my family doing fun stuff.

• Options
    Kin ell, live in au pairs !

I've heard it all now !
  • Options
    Wife said no to an au-pair unless she was fat and ugly

So no point in an au pair then