Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope

Just been on to SkySports and they're claiming that Nick Pope looks set to receive a new three year Contract... What do we all make of this one?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8937971/charlton-goalkeeper-nick-pope-is-set-to-sign-a-new-deal-at-the-valley

Comments

• Options
    He'll certainly go well with church
  • Options
    He'll be good a giving sermons to the players if ever they lose when he becomes a Manager
  • Options
    Good news, it show commitment to a very promising player. The club has a declared policy of developing young talent. This is in line with the policy
  • Options
    Looks like the youngsters are being signed up now... the others Kerm / Morro / Hamer etc... may have to wait till the end of the season or January
  • Options
    Spent Saturday evening with Nick Pope he is dating a relative of mine and they popped in after the Aldershot game (after letting in three goals!). Really nice guy, and he's so happy about his new contract; interesting hearing what life is like at Charlton for a young goalie waiting for his big break but knows he's still learning.
  • Options

It may or may not be relevant in the thought process that saw Alnwick leave the Valley, but apart the two main remaining keepers at the club, Pope is doing well. Despite playing in a side that lost midweek, Pope was named man of the match, praised for his reflexes and was said to have made a world class save.

Going forwards the plan may be for Pope to take one of the goalkeeping slots at the Valley, so even if the other keeper goes back to Liege, only one of Hamer / Alnwick might have been retained long term and the club may have simply decided to receive an income for one of them.
  • Options

It may or may not be relevant in the thought process that saw Alnwick leave the Valley, but apart the two main remaining

keepers at the club, Pope is doing well. Despite playing in a side that lost midweek, Pope was named man of the match, praised for his reflexes and was said to have made a world class save.

Going forwards the plan may be for Pope to take one of the goalkeeping slots at the Valley, so even if the other keeper goes back to Liege, only one of Hamer / Alnwick might have been retained long term and the club may have simply decided to receive an income for one of them.

excellent post

• Options

It may or may not be relevant in the thought process that saw Alnwick leave the Valley, but apart the two main remaining keepers at the club, Pope is doing well. Despite playing in a side that lost midweek, Pope was named man of the match, praised for his reflexes and was said to have made a world class save.

Spot on IMO
  • Options
    Yes, Pope is well thought of, so it does make sense for him to be the reserve next season once Thuram and Alnwick have gone through (different) tunnels.
  • Options
    Only seen half a game at the Valley and a pre-season but been very impressed with him. If he was between the sticks at Wigan I would be comfortable with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminds me of Nicky Johns to look at at.

If his keeping is half as good we will be ok...
  • Options
    Seems to me these long contracts are only to increase the transfer fee when you sell them.
  • Options

Seems to me these long contracts are only to increase the transfer fee when you sell them.

Glass half empty.

But even if it is it will get CAFC more money and RD.
  • Options

but that is a good thing. If Yann and Dale were on longer contracts we could have got more money for them.
  • Options

Give a player a 4 year contract, get 2 good years out of them, sell them and don't get ripped off with a cheap fee just because they only have 6 months left on their deal.

What's not to like?
  • Options
    Another clean sheet for Nick tonight. That's 9 clean sheets in 17 appearances this season .

2 in 5 Conference appearances for Aldershot
    7 in 12 League 2 appearances for York

He also kept 4 clean sheets in 9 Conference games for Cambridge last season.

A very decent start to his pro career.
  • Options
    I've got a couple of mates who follow York home and away and they're impressed by him. If was possible they'd definitely like to keep him at City.
  • Options
    He is a very good goalkeeper and highly regarded by Ben Roberts our goalkeeping coach (or he was last time I looked).
  • Options
    I have seen him play, and he looks like he may have a chance. having a very good loan at York at the moment, and it looks like his display tonight earned York an away win at Mansfield Town.
  • Options
    Another clean sheet today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Spent Saturday evening with Nick Pope he is dating a relative of mine and they popped in after the Aldershot game (after letting in three goals!). Really nice guy, and he's so happy about his new contract; interesting hearing what life is like at Charlton for a young goalie waiting for his big break but knows he's still learning.

Can't be worse than Thuram either!!!
  • Options
    For goalkeepers, it would be great if the football stats recorded how many times the other teams didn't score. Goalkeepers are rarely going to score goals, so why record it. It would be a more useful stat.

(I know that goalkeepers are part of the defensive unit, may be they could record that for defenders as well).

Great to see Nick Pope doing well. Charlton usually have great keepers and Nick Pope looks as though he could be in that tradition.
  • Options
    Next time we moan about loanees who don't give a toss, we should ask York fans what they think of Pope.... Shows that loans can benefit all if the set-up and attitude are right
  • Options

Next time we moan about loanees who don't give a toss, we should ask York fans what they think of Pope.... Shows that loans can benefit all if the set-up and attitude are right

They've loaned a future prospect who is very young and raring to kick start his professional career, we loan old farts who have seen out their career and just want to keep their wallets filled. Lower league teams highly benefit from loans, teams like us rarely do

• Options

They've loaned a future prospect who is very young and raring to kick start his professional career, we loan old farts who have seen out their career and just want to keep their wallets filled. Lower league teams highly benefit from loans, teams like us rarely do

Does that mean we'll be benefitting from loans next season then? ;-)
  • Options
    Had a pint with a mate who was at Bootham Crescent yesterday and seen most of the games Pope has played and he says he is the master of his box. He's not afraid to marshall his defence.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    York City, a possibility for the play offs .. word out of York is that Pope is a top class, confident keeper and has really improved the team as a whole .. I am very pleased, especially as Pope came from Bury Town, a club with which members of my dad's family have a long term relationship
  • Options
    Let's hope we get to see him play for Charlton.
  • Options
    May be our No1 or on the bench next year.
  • Options

Let's hope we get to see him play for Charlton.

We have once, last season's League match v Bristol City.

Another player signed from non-League.