Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Porcupine (Mottingham) vrs Lidl

124»

Comments

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Well done, MOG. I had time to kill in Grove Park a few months back, and had a shuffle

Don't blame you
    Doesn't Keeley Hazell live near there ?

She use to come in me shop for her 10 Sovereign, but me being the law abiding Man In The Corner Shop (There's a song there somewhere!) refused to serve her, so another Charlton lad who was mates with her sister would buy them. I think @Nolly might've known them an all???
    When you say Nolly might have known them, do you mean Keeley Hazell's attributes?

Ah, so you googled her eh ?
    ;-)
    Correct! Did I hear you say that Big Rob lives in France and has had a kidney transplant...?

...but I never talk about it
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Really ?
    Did you know I used to be a drummer ?

Get out 'o' town, next you'll be saying you're a floor layer!
    Rumours mate, rumours.......

• Options
    pmsl
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Well done, MOG. I had time to kill in Grove Park a few months back, and had a shuffle

Don't blame you
    Doesn't Keeley Hazell live near there ?

She use to come in me shop for her 10 Sovereign, but me being the law abiding Man In The Corner Shop (There's a song there somewhere!) refused to serve her, so another Charlton lad who was mates with her sister would buy them. I think @Nolly might've known them an all???
    When you say Nolly might have known them, do you mean Keeley Hazell's attributes?

Ah, so you googled her eh ?
    ;-)
    Correct! Did I hear you say that Big Rob lives in France and has had a kidney transplant...?

I refer the 'onerable fella to the above answer.

• Options
    You could put a poncy name and take over the baring with good intentions but its not like other places in se London would still have same issues . People used to sniff on the bar it's a crap hole . I had my christening there I think
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

cafcfan said:

It's always sad, especially if you've fond memories, when pubs shut down or change style I still can't believe The Fox Under The Hill is now a Hungry Horse, but I guess change is inevitable.
    There's a house near me called "Rous Cottage" which used to be "The Admiral Rous Inn". I believe it shut down in the early 1900s. Mind you, it probably didn't help trade that the landlord was hanged for murdering his wife!

Them houses to the right of The Oak, looking at the boozer from by the nursery, use to be a mother and baby clinic and I'd get weighed in there as a knipper. Next time any of you are walking past there, think of old BIG ROB from Charlton Life

Can we still think of you when we walk down the Woolwich road Big Rob .
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

cafcfan said:

It's always sad, especially if you've fond memories, when pubs shut down or change style I still can't believe The Fox Under The Hill is now a Hungry Horse, but I guess change is inevitable.
    There's a house near me called "Rous Cottage" which used to be "The Admiral Rous Inn". I believe it shut down in the early 1900s. Mind you, it probably didn't help trade that the landlord was hanged for murdering his wife!

Them houses to the right of The Oak, looking at the boozer from by the nursery, use to be a mother and baby clinic and I'd get weighed in there as a knipper. Next time any of you are walking past there, think of old BIG ROB from Charlton Life

Can we still think of you when we walk down the Woolwich road Big Rob .
    Yeah, opposite The Vic, where the basketball court now stands 648 Woolwich Road
  • Options
    Just dropped the car off for a service and used Dartford station. The Railway pub has been demolished, when did that happen?
  • Options
    this morning
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

pmsl

That may just have been a kidney malfunction :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bromley council rejected Lidl's application.
  • Options
    That's good news.

The fella who was part of the group leading the campaign pictured on the front of the news shopper died recently. Looked like a hell's angel and was a lovely fella apparently. The FIL went to his funeral last week.
  • Options
    The fact remains that places (pubs) go out of business because not enough people use them and make them viable. A non premium supermarket would provide a much needed service, the nearest alternative being Sainsbury a bus ride away in Chislehurst, and some employment for local people. For the local MP to say it was a 'Victory' begs the question, For Who. When the travellers move onto the site, god help the local residents
  • Options
    So, what now for the site?
    My guess is it be converted into flats or knocked down and a couple of blocks of flats built. Can't see it being a pub or something useful for the locals.
  • Options
    The place was a rats nest and not used ffs. What is better for the community than a supermarket? It beggers belief that people thought it would go back to the good old days. 'Elf and safety and Bromley council would soon stop that.
  • Options
    Yeah no such thing as a pub crawl anymore
  • Options
    The only pubs that can survive is pubs that are owned and bought outright and run by the owners. Any that are rented through a brewery etc can't rents and rates are far to high and they just keep going up and up... You just cant compete with the likes of Asda selling 4 real bottled ales for £6 etc...

Plus people don't want to get a bus or cab to a pub these days just to have a drink its hassle. Nobody want to drink and drive and when you have the old flat cap wearing pensioner sitting in the corner all day hovering over one half pint of light ale you can see why pubs don't make much money

Its a shame but the back street boozer is a dying trade..... I can list a few around the SE9 area that are gone but not forgotten..

Carpenters Arms 1980s Eltham High Street.
    Castle 1990s Eltham High Street.
    Crossways Sidcup Road.
    Last Orders Eltham High Street.
    Man Of Kent 1980s Eltham High Street.
    Porcupine 2013 24 Mottingham Road.
    Welcome Inn 2006 Well Hall Road.
    Ye Olde Greyhound 2006 86 Eltham High Street.
    Yorkshire Grey Now a McDonalds drive through restaurant

Even in Charlton we have lost..
    Horse & Groom Woolwich Road.
    Thames Barrier Arms Hardens Manor Way.
    Valley Elliscombe Road.
    Victoria Woolwich Road.
    Woodman Little Heath.
  • Options
    Bromley Council are only interested in property developers, not pubs and historical buildings.

Look at the ghastly flats that have replaced Bromley's grand houses over the past 30 plus years.

And if they allow the development of the lovely 200 year old (albeit, an only recently fallen on hard times) Bird In Hand in Bickley, then I doubt if they care too much over the Porcupine.