Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Porcupine (Mottingham) vrs Lidl

Comments

• Options
    Really ? You must tell us about it sometime.
    ;-)
  • Options

Sounds the pub could do with a new lease of life rather than shut & demolished, make it over 25's, decent grub, no sport on tv etc.

Fantastic beer garden in the summer would be good for local families etc.

Remember the menagerie the old governor had out there, goats the lot.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Witnessed the other bloke purchase round after round but then says he left after one drink. Load of old rubbish.

Either a very slow drinker, or a Porky Piar? My money, like yours, firmly on the latter.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Sounds the pub could do with a new lease of life rather than shut & demolished, make it over 25's, decent grub, no sport on tv etc.

Fantastic beer garden in the summer would be good for local families etc.

Remember the menagerie the old governor had out there, goats the lot.

I think that was the over 30's singles night.
  • Options
    Porcupine was always full of Mottinghams "finest", then again what pub wasn't round there? Have not been for 20 years so doubt it got better in the interim.

It must be akin to putting your money into a football club nowadays, running a pub.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.

Yeah, some of the brewery owned boozers that I've drank in in the past have brought in a "trouble shooter" manager to turn them around. Remember some rugby loving Aussie/Kiwi/South African taking over the Sun In The Sands just before a major international footballing tornament (I can't remember which, maybe Euro 96?) and he made it into a "football free zone". That backfired spectacularly and went the other way. Another land mark boozer gone to the dogs, unless changed in the last 2 years since I last drove past it...?
    Half of the Sun in the Sands has gone, Big Rob! The right-hand side was walled off and converted to an Italian restaurant a couple of years ago; that soon went tits-up and is now a greasy spoon: Roy's Café. The left hand-side soldiered on as a pub, but I believe that is now closed, or at least up for sale.

The British Oak, about 100 yards away in the Old Dover Road, seems to be thriving, with decent beers and regular live music.

This brought back memories of my late dear old gramps . Monday to saturday he would always go to the old liberal club ( in the Woolwich rd ) but on sundays it was always the sun in the sands or the bugle in Charlton village .
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

TelMc32 said:

The Plume was all boarded up when I went past a few weeks ago. Is it open again?

Beautiful old building, must be around 300 years old. A real period piece - love that big old Georgian half-round bay window.

Harks back to the days when Plumstead was a "Rising Village With An Air Not To Be Equalled", as described by Mr H Batt an important resident in the early 19th century.

That bay window struck me too - more like a Thames-side building at Greenwich or Gravesend, though the Plume probably had fine views down to the river when it was built. What's the pub like inside? I shall look up the estimable Mr Batt....

• Options
    It's always sad, especially if you've fond memories, when pubs shut down or change style. I still can't believe The Fox Under The Hill is now a Hungry Horse, but I guess change is inevitable.
    There's a house near me called "Rous Cottage" which used to be "The Admiral Rous Inn". I believe it shut down in the early 1900s. Mind you, it probably didn't help trade that the landlord was hanged for murdering his wife!

• Options
    The Porcupine is at the end of my road, only ventured in there twice. Both times it was horrific to be honest. However, i'm not too keen about having a Lidl in it's place, I really don't think its needed or wanted.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.

Yeah, some of the brewery owned boozers that I've drank in in the past have brought in a "trouble shooter" manager to turn them around. Remember some rugby loving Aussie/Kiwi/South African taking over the Sun In The Sands just before a major international footballing tornament (I can't remember which, maybe Euro 96?) and he made it into a "football free zone". That backfired spectacularly and went the other way. Another land mark boozer gone to the dogs, unless changed in the last 2 years since I last drove past it...?
    Half of the Sun in the Sands has gone, Big Rob! The right-hand side was walled off and converted to an Italian restaurant a couple of years ago; that soon went tits-up and is now a greasy spoon: Roy's Café. The left hand-side soldiered on as a pub, but I believe that is now closed, or at least up for sale.

The British Oak, about 100 yards away in the Old Dover Road, seems to be thriving, with decent beers and regular live music.

This brought back memories of my late dear old gramps . Monday to saturday he would always go to the old liberal club ( in the Woolwich rd ) but on sundays it was always the sun in the sands or the bugle in Charlton village .
    The Sun in the Sands was unusual because back in the days it was a Younger's tied house (Scotch, IPA and No. 3 on handpump): rare in south-east London. Does anyone here remember the Dover Patrol, a Courage pub on Rochester Way? I have a vague memory of going there once in the 1970s; apparently it had some good art deco fittings - before it was demolished for the new road.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Baring Hall, Grove Park, today.
  • Options
    Well done, MOG. I had time to kill in Grove Park a few months back, and had a shuffle up the road that leads along the side of the pub. Noticed there are various outbuildings at the back. Antic might do a good job with the renovation.
  • Options

Well done, MOG. I had time to kill in Grove Park a few months back, and had a shuffle

Don't blame you
  • Options

Well done, MOG. I had time to kill in Grove Park a few months back, and had a shuffle

Don't blame you
    Doesn't Keeley Hazell live near there ?

• Options

Don't blame you

Who is she?

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

The Sun in the Sands was unusual because back in the days it was a Younger's tied house (Scotch, IPA and No. 3 on handpump): rare in south-east London. Does anyone here remember the Dover Patrol, a Courage pub on Rochester Way? I have a vague memory of going there once in the 1970s; apparently it had some good art deco fittings - before it was demolished for the new road.

Remember the Patrol well. Favorite uncle on my mums side was a regular. Pubs like that in London are a fond memory.
  • Options

Don't blame you

Who is she?

Google.
    ;-)

• Options

Baring Hall, Grove Park, today.

I had a shop up there!
  • Options
    What, in the pub ?
  • Options

Don't blame you

She use to come in me shop for her 10 Sovereign, but me being the law abiding Man In The Corner Shop (There's a song there somewhere!) refused to serve her, so another Charlton lad who was mates with her sister would buy them. I think @Nolly might've known them an all???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What, in the pub ?

No, just opposite, next to the station. Called Swammi News now like
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    cafcfan said:

It's always sad, especially if you've fond memories, when pubs shut down or change style. I still can't believe The Fox Under The Hill is now a Hungry Horse, but I guess change is inevitable.
    There's a house near me called "Rous Cottage" which used to be "The Admiral Rous Inn". I believe it shut down in the early 1900s. Mind you, it probably didn't help trade that the landlord was hanged for murdering his wife!

Them houses to the right of The Oak, looking at the boozer from by the nursery, use to be a mother and baby clinic and I'd get weighed in there as a knipper. Next time any of you are walking past there, think of old BIG ROB from Charlton Life
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Don't blame you

She use to come in me shop for her 10 Sovereign, but me being the law abiding Man In The Corner Shop (There's a song there somewhere!) refused to serve her, so another Charlton lad who was mates with her sister would buy them. I think @Nolly might've known them an all???
    When you say Nolly might have known them, do you mean Keeley Hazell's attributes?

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

What, in the pub ?

so, what you up to now ?

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Don't blame you

When you say Nolly might have known them, do you mean Keeley Hazell's attributes?

Ah, so you googled her eh ?
    ;-)
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

What, in the pub ?

so, what you up to now ?

Living in France pal, just had a kidney transplant
  • Options
    Really ?
    Did you know I used to be a drummer ?
  • Options
    And watch it you, or I'll send AUN over !
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Don't blame you

Ah, so you googled her eh ?
    ;-)
    Correct! Did I hear you say that Big Rob lives in France and has had a kidney transplant...?

• Options

Really ?
    Did you know I used to be a drummer ?

Get out 'o' town, next you'll be saying you're a floor layer!