Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options

Dulwich CC or Dulwich Paragon? a lot of D Paragon riders are arseholes

they really do have a terrible reputation don't they? it's probably the only thing I know about any cycling club yet I've heard it from so many sources. they're like the millwall of cycling
  • Options
    I'm with @Leroy Ambrose here....I see the Paragon riders out in the Kent lanes all the time and they're always miserable b*ggers...never an hello....all so bloody serious...I honestly think they all think they're going to be in Le Tour next year or something...
  • Options
    rina said:

Dulwich CC or Dulwich Paragon? a lot of D Paragon riders are arseholes

they really do have a terrible reputation don't they? it's probably the only thing I know about any cycling club yet I've heard it from so many sources. they're like the millwall of cycling
    Nah - the true Millwall of cycling are London Dynamo. Absolute fucking choppers. Paragon are more like Palace. No class. Strangely, it's only their 4th and 3rd cats that are pricks - seconds up are generally ok (weird, cos up North, generally it's the seconds who are usually the biggest arseholes). I guess it's that 'something to prove' syndrome. There's also a Lot of them who don't race, but do 'race training'. Weird.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

a lot of D Paragon riders are arseholes, but the fast lads (racers) are generally ok

Cheers babes ;) xoxo
    :smiley:
    You racing up here again any time soon?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Bumped into Dulwich CC in Gravesend. They were at the end of a gravel portion of NCN1. It's rough for about 1.7 miles. They decided not to go there. One saw me booting it to where they were at about 15mph. He wanted to look at my tyres. They're Schwalbe Mondial.
    He then understood why he had to turn away but I on my proper touring bike with proper touring tyres could just roll through!
    Nice man.

I love a touring bike. Closest I have is a Surly Crosscheck. Dream of going touring.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I’m sure you lot talk in riddles.
    In other news I did my first 40+ miler today taking in The Valley to boot.
    I’ll catch up with that old pensioner @JamesSeed sooner or later....

See you on Friday?

I’m certainly no racer, but I love cycling.
  • Options
    Friday?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Friday?

More civil than see you next tuesday.
  • Options
    ProstateCancerUK , wasn’t sure if you’re doing it.
  • Options
    Too far for me, I’m just doing the London-Brighton...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone doing the tour of Cambridgeshire on Sunday
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

Anyone doing the tour of Cambridgeshire on Sunday

Yep. Race gate, 45-49. Spend the first hour on or near the front keeping away from the chop, might jump in an early break if one goes then see what happens with the crosswinds in the fens :lol:
  • Options
    Ok nice one I'm in the sportive 55-60 bracket 18-20mph. Just going with the flow. Aiming to get there for 08:00 for early registration. Red Bec CC club shirt.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    As a Woolwich cyclist this is of interest to me and perhaps a few users here too.

The following is a petition to reinstate plans thrown out by khan to make the Woolwich road flyover roundabout safer.
    Goodness knows how this was thrown out in the first place as the roundabout right through to Deptford is easily the most dangerous segment of the commute for London bound cyclists and this has been highlighted time and again by drivers,pedestrians,local bloggers and cyclists.

Hopefully if this petition can gain enough traction then that might kick TfL into doing something.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make-woolwich-road-junction-safe?bucket=&source=twitter-share-button
  • Options
    Signed.

Hate it along there. If i have time i go along the river.
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

Ok nice one I'm in the sportive 55-60 bracket 18-20mph. Just going with the flow. Aiming to get there for 08:00 for early registration. Red Bec CC club shirt.

Good luck Mark, let us know how you get on , you to Leroy.
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

Yeah, the earlier you get, the better it'll be when you going. Don't want to be swamped in the back of your pen - there will be a lot of the sportive riders trying to get a qualification time as well, so might be a bit hairy stuck near the back. Also, parking is a nightmare if you get there late - queues take ages to go down. 8 sounds about right. Good luck! I'll look out for you afterwards - I'll be in Chorley kit (lime green, white and black)
  • Options

SESEVEN said:

Good luck Mark, let us know how you get on , you to Leroy.
    Cheers dude, this time next year No 9, your be joining us.

• Options

If anyone is interested...

Size and price? Might be interested, far superior to my current road bike
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    eBay sale of Charlton Athletic cycling kit - proceeds to be donated to the ProstateCancerUK fundraiser:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223004648850
  • Options
    Leroy how did you get on at the ToC? I got a mechanical at the second drinks station, two spokes went. Wheel too buckled to continue. Was gutted 42 miles 1:50 was a PB for me. The worst was waiting 3hrs for a pick up. One of the drinks station people took me back to the show ground.
  • Options
    Ah that sucks. If its not fixable, and you have to wait for the broom wagon it's even worse if you've been going well too - because it'll be crawling along miles behind you. Was it a pothole? Some nasty ones on the route - caused three crashes at least in the race.

I did 3:04:59 - was with the lead group until there was a split 15km from the end whilst I was in the middle of the bunch. Me and another lad drilled it for five minutes trying to bring it back, but with no-one else working we sat up in the end. Annoying, because I'd done just enough work to keep myself near the front most of the race, and would have had a good chance of a win, or top three at least. C'est la vie!
  • Options
    Could I ask a word of advice on rollers vs turbo trainers, please?

Cycled for 15 years, 50-80 miles a week, did L2P, Cork to Dublin, Tour de Yorkshire, but was never very able and thoroughly disliked climbing. So Buttertups wasn't fun (plus the actual tour was coming through two days later and the new tarmac wasn't totally dry yet, which was a bore).

I stopped cycling about 2 and a half years ago for no good reason. The extent of my fitness drop-off was made clear last year when I had another stab at Bromley to Brighton chasing someone way fitter than I had become, and realised that having got up Ditchling 15 or so times without a foot down over previous years, now it wasn't that I couldn't get up it, I actually couldn't get to it!

Would like to get back into slightly better shape and given one fairly ropey knee post ACL rebuild in 2006, cycling seems an eminently sensible thing.

I'm looking at either the Kreitler standard rollers which seem quite fun or if I stretch the budget, at a TacX Flux. Or something else, I don't know. But any guidance at all before I commit would be much appreciated.
    Thanks J

• Options
    I'd go with the flux. It's a turbo so you don't need to learn how to ride it (certainly not the case with rollers!)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    What Leroy says, Turbo all day long. Set up in front of a big TV with some Sufferfest Videos and a towel to mop up the sweat..........Boom (as they say)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Looking for a cheap second hand option to get fit enough and to hopefully get me through next years ride to Amsterdam. If any of you good people still have your start up bikes in the shed and can part with them for not a lot of money, I'd be very grateful. Unfortunately I opened my mouth before realising how much these bikes cost these days.
    Cheers
    Ray
  • Options
    Ah shit - that's bad timing. I literally just sold my winter bike (a CAAD8) yesterday - would probablybhave been perfect for you. What height are you, and what's your budget?
  • Options
    I stupidly thought I could do the ride on a 50/60 quid mountain bike, I'm around 5'9" most of my finances are tied up with the voluntary work with my dogs. Sportsdirect do a £140 road bike, that's looks like my best/only option.