Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ozil

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Rothko said:
    I know it's just a mascot, but Arsenal have misread the room so badly on this, it's untrue 
    It weird because they got slaughtered for getting rid of those 55-people when bringing in Willian

They've now gone and done it again!! - Only worse as they've also spent £45m on a player too, not just wages
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I know it's just a mascot, but Arsenal have misread the room so badly on this, it's untrue 
    Extraordinary PR own goal. Laying off ticket office or catering workers they can get away with, but the whole world of football is staggered by this. Even clubs in other countries have been taking the piss out of Arsenal
  • Options
    Smart move by Ozil, fans won’t be able to keep calling for him to leave without sacrificing their beloved mascot too. Excellent strategy.  
  • Options
    Who needs a mascot when no fans and what will he get? 50 quid a game and a ham sandwich? 
  • Options
    Who needs a mascot when no fans and what will he get? 50 quid a game and a ham sandwich? 
    I think Gunnersaurus used to do a lot of community stuff (visiting kids in hospital, charity fundraisers etc). Not sure if it was a full time job per se but wouldn’t surprise me.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I expect Ozil is claiming some kind of Government grant/training funding to employ Gunnersaurus.

Will his salary be rex tax deductible?
  • Options
    Great gesture end of story.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS WSS said:
    Wait until Mesut finds out Gunnersauras is on £250k a week.
    I know Jerry Quy aka Gunnasaurus, and I know he is on a lot more than £250 per week.
  • Options
    Ozil should be nicked for taking (bags of) money under false pretences
  • Options
    What? Multi millionaire employs someone on low wages to score PR points?

It would have been a great gesture if he did it without the fanfare in the media.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

It would have been a great gesture if he did it without the fanfare in the media.
    If Beckham did this when he was at United or Ronaldo did it or any of media darling did this they would be applauded

People would be saying its amazing and shows what a great human they are that they club got rid of the mascot but they have stepped up, but because its Ozil who is seen as this hate figure by the media people are trying to use it against him.

You say it would have been great without the media fanfare, but Arsenal fans had been on twitter all day stating there displeasure about Gunnersauraus being sacked so all he did was tweet that he felt the same and was going to help out, what is wrong with that.
    Both opinions right. Unfortunately for Ozil he’s the current whipping boy so whatever he does is wrong. 
  • Options
    hope he is total shit and they have spunked the money
    So, 7 years on - what ya reckon?
    :-)
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Addickted said:

If Beckham did this when he was at United or Ronaldo did it or any of media darling did this they would be applauded

People would be saying its amazing and shows what a great human they are that they club got rid of the mascot but they have stepped up, but because its Ozil who is seen as this hate figure by the media people are trying to use it against him.

You say it would have been great without the media fanfare, but Arsenal fans had been on twitter all day stating there displeasure about Gunnersauraus being sacked so all he did was tweet that he felt the same and was going to help out, what is wrong with that.
    Both opinions right. Unfortunately for Ozil he’s the current whipping boy so whatever he does is wrong. 
    Quite right, what about the other 54 ?
  • Options
    just collected an £8m 'loyalty' bonus it seems
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Arsenal have presumably giving him more than one contract in the time period he has been there yet they (or their fans at least) keep moaning about the amount he is paid. It's bizarre.
  • Options
    I saw Arsenal a couple of times last season. Ozil is very popular with sections of the crowd there, and I struggled on the performances when he came on to see why, but maybe he was really good for them once and if he's playing well can change a game. Trouble is, with no regular games that becomes an insurmountable if.  
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Not sure why Ozil gets so much hate. 

All he did was sign the contract offered to him. 

Yeah it has not worked out, but that’s true of many many deals 
    Because, I suspect, fans don't like players earning money for doing nothing. And he's doing nothing because of his refusal to adapt his game and consequently he's not being picked. 

I can see some of ours turning on Phillips should he stay on the books for the duration of his current contract as he'll be doing nothing to earn his money too. But then he's done nothing wrong either. He shouldn't be forced to sign another contract anymore than anyone contracted individual in any other industry should be either. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    Not sure why Ozil gets so much hate. 

All he did was sign the contract offered to him. 

Yeah it has not worked out, but that’s true of many many deals 
    Because, I suspect, fans don't like players earning money for doing nothing. And he's doing nothing because of his refusal to adapt his game and consequently he's not being picked. 

I can see some of ours turning on Phillips should he stay on the books for the duration of his current contract as he'll be doing nothing to earn his money too. But then he's done nothing wrong either. He shouldn't be forced to sign another contract anymore than anyone contracted individual in any other industry should be either. 

You can't be serious?

The guy is 32 this week, he's played for Real Madrid, he's won a World Cup and he was Arsenal's POTY not that long ago. He was Germany's national team POTY 5 times! Why on earth is he going to adapt his game now?

His last contract deal was signed only 2 years ago, it's not his fault Arteta doesn't want to play him. Managers naturally have ways of playing and some players are more suited than others. But a player who has achieved what Ozil has in his career can't really be criticised for 'not adapting' when he's in his 30s.
    I am very serious. We are not just talking about Arteta. Wenger had the same issue:

Ozil frequently complained of illness and back problems while Wenger was still in charge, missing a host of matches and was criticised for his lethargic, passive performances. Wenger didn't want to offer him another contract. It was Gazidis that decided to do so because he feared not being able to replace him. 

In the last three years Ozil has started less than half of Arsenal's PL games. He left Real Madrid 7 years ago. He won the World Cup 6 years ago. Ozil was Arsenal POTY 5 seasons ago. The game moves on as all types of industries do. The attitude that "I've never done that before so I'm not doing it now" simply doesn't wash. I mean asking an athlete to track back when he's only on £350K a week is a right liberty isn't it! 

At 31 his legs shouldn't have gone anymore then they would have done when he last played under Wenger. Just ask Aubameyang. He's 31 too. Aguero is older and he's had to adapt. Why can't Ozil?

So, just to re-iterate, I am very serious. Are you?

• Options
    he doesn't seem to care whether he plays at the moment (that's the impression anyway)

doesn't seem to be banging on the managers door!

a total waste of a top player, surely they could've found a way to pay up/cancel his contract so that he could sign for someone else? - he must want to play?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    If you sign Ozil then you surely know exactly what you're getting and what he does. If you wanted a tackling, dynamic midfielder or defensive shield then go ahead and sign one. Don't splurge on a fee and huge wages on a lightweight playmaker and bemoan him not being a scrapper.
    I don't disagree with you regarding it being Arsenal's fault (and specifically Gazidis). But, equally, KDB isn't a scrapper. He's a playmaker too but he's also prepared to do the hard yards. Ozil isn't. He's lazy.