Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Syria

Comments

• Options

The blame for the sad recent events in the middle east lies directly with the estimated one million left wing soap dodging naïve idiots that thought they were being so clever, high and mighty by getting on the 'not in my name' band wagon and demonstrating against the Iraq war ten years ago.

All they achieved is to make the government wary of getting directly involved in these conflicts.

Libya, Egypt, Syria. All you anti war protesters have blood on your hands today.
    I hope you are proud of your efforts.

Sorry but this is utter utter bollocks.
    A typical response that we have sadly become used to from the loony left. If you are wrong and cant argue back, just be rude and abusive instead.
    Please explain how my comment was abusive smudge.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The demonstrations DID have the effect that the demonstrators wanted. We no longer use invasive military techniques to assist other countries. That was the aim of the demonstrators. Tragically as a result many innocents have died.

I supported the war against Hussein (but not with hindsight) but this is laughable. The reason interventionism is so completely out of fashion at the moment (very sadly in my view) is that the planning for the occupation was an utter shambles (the army disbanded, the broders left open for Al-Quaeda etc to swarm in etc) leading Iraq into a horrible, ongoing civil war which sucked up billions in costs, thousands of American, British and allied service personnal and hundreds of thousadnds of Iraqi lives.

• Options
    What Jints said
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

I don't get involved in the politcal stuff usually, mainly because I never understand it fully, but what I don't get is people blaming it on the left or blaming it on the right.

The real reason we have atrocities like this is because human beings are disgusting people at times whatever side they're on.

blockquote>

The demonstrations DID have the effect that the demonstrators wanted. We no longer use invasive military techniques to assist other countries. That was the aim of the demonstrators. Tragically as a result many innocents have died.
    The invasion of Iraq and replacement of Saddam was supposed to be a "cakewalk" - the thinking of the Bush White House was that the Iraqi people would welcome the invading troops and embrace the new opportunity to boot Saddam out and start again and everyone was going to live happily ever after. The reality has been that for the last twelve years there has been an increasingly nasty civil war that has resulted in the deaths of around 1m Iraqis and the destruction of their nation and there's still no end in sight. In addition it cost the lives of 200 British service personnel and the cost to the exchequer has run into billions.

Now you want to invade Syria and start all that again? Are you familiar with the definition of stupidity being a refusal to learn from your mistakes?

• Options

Until the scientist can get in it will be difficult even to establish what agent was used. I have heard that the stockpile of chemical weapons held by Assad is largely Mustard gas and Sarin. Neither of which particularly produce the effects seen on those shocking news images. Some scientists are speculating the agent o be more likely agricultural or industrial chemicals used which throws further doubt onto the actual perpetrators. In a perverse way I hope that the government is to blame for this and not some group of unaccountable and potential terrorists. The thought of a similar attack by such a group on the west is unthinkable.

More unthinkable than it was on those poor fuckers you mean?
    Oh absolutely not. What has happened in Syria is beyond horror. My thought was more that such weapons in the hands of eg Al Queida would be a very sobering issue.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Plans been in place for a couple of years now mate... ;0)

Everyone's getting twitchy on this one. The RN is putting in place the Gibraltar Pivot which basically means a "bomber" based permanently in Gib to allow them to react to a) Syria in the east and b) still keep an eye on the Russians towards the west.

RN have no capability to 'carry' a 'bomber' and if there was any UK intervention (initially air) into Syria it would be operated from/through RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus, just over the road so to speak. As for keeping an eye on the Russians toward the west from Gibraltar, you would need one bloody powerful pair of binoculars! ;-)
    A "bomber" is RN slang for an SSBN, a ballistic missile submarine. I am living a few miles from one parked up at the moment (we have 4 BTW, Vanguard, Victorious, Vigilant and Vengance). Part of the RN's NATO remit is to cover the Russian North Atlantic fleet movement. The pivot at Gib allows the permanent cover of that as well as being close to any action in Syria/Mid East. Is that a bit clearer for you?
  • Options
    Quite frankly as a species we deserve to die. If I looked at this planet's occupants as an outsider from Outer Space, the geo-politics just makes me shake my head. We find it difficult enough to challenge what is happening to our club at board level never mind trying to sort out the woes of Syria, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Tibet (just add your own place). Just a complete sense of hopelessness when asking governments to stay out of business or get stuck in when they need to because of some deep-lying alliances and hidden agendas that we, the normal people, are not privy to (until Assange, Snowden and Manning showed up) . The UN is just as useless as the League of Nations was in the early 20th century.

Just enjoy the lovely simple things in life because you are lucky enough to be able to experience them and because you don't live in a theatre of total war... yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Quite frankly as a species we deserve to die. If I looked at this planet's occupants as an outsider from Outer Space, the geo-politics just makes me shake my head. We find it difficult enough to challenge what is happening to our club at board level never mind trying to sort out the woes of Syria, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Tibet (just add your own place). Just a complete sense of hopelessness when asking governments to stay out of business or get stuck in when they need to because of some deep-lying alliances and hidden agendas that we, the normal people, are not privy to (until Assange, Snowden and Manning showed up) . The UN is just as useless as the League of Nations was in the early 20th century.

Just enjoy the lovely simple things in life because you are lucky enough to be able to experience them and because you don't live in a theatre of total war... yet.

Agreed. Whatever years I have left, I shall be taking advantage of what matters most in life and is generally free, close family, community, the beautiful countryside AND Charlton Athletic.
  • Options

The blame for the sad recent events in the middle east lies directly with the estimated one million left wing soap dodging naïve idiots that thought they were being so clever, high and mighty by getting on the 'not in my name' band wagon and demonstrating against the Iraq war ten years ago.

All they achieved is to make the government wary of getting directly involved in these conflicts.

Libya, Egypt, Syria. All you anti war protesters have blood on your hands today.

George Bush posts on Charlton Life, who knew?
  • Options
    Assad needs to be ousted but the rebel leadership will be as bad or worse if they gained power. I cry for the people of Syria.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Assad needs to be ousted but the rebel leadership will be as bad or worse if they gained power. I cry for the people of Syria.

Anyone who has seen footage of some of the atrocities committed in Syria will sadly agree with this. Man's evil knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Smudge where did you manage to get a degree in street-wise halfwhittisms? Cycles?

Vietnam. East TImor. Lebanon. Grenada. Iraq. Yugoslavia. Somalia. Croatia. Kosovo. Iraq. Sudan.

Most people can make their own narrative, virtually no one manages to distill complex conflicts into one reason. I don't need books to give me one reason, but they do highlight the complexities of Civil Wars. Countries don't get involved in Syria because they have a well equipped and trained army. The US trained and supplied Croatia for Operation Storm, and they were vastly superior forces to the Bosnian Serbs. Libya had an ineffective army as they were a possible threat to Gaddaffi. Really with your imbecility you're in the right place, in a binary world in your binary mind.
  • Options
    Medecins Sans Frontieres says it has treated about 3,600 patients with "neurotoxic symptoms" in Syria, of whom 355 have died.

It said the patients had arrived in three hospitals it supports in the Damascus governorate on 21 August - when opposition activists say chemical attacks were launched against rebels.

It appears to be the first confirmation that chemical weapons were used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23827950
  • Options
    The west (well the USA, Britain and France) seems very quick to blame the Syrian govt for chemical weapons use and are now actively preparing action but they have to show some evidence. The opposition is full of religious Al Qaeda nutters and aren't above some shocking behaviour themselves.

Without it there is no way the UK should be getting involved abroad again, spending billions of pounds, that can be much better spent at home. A few bombs cost enough to keep all of London's A & E units open!
  • Options

One word. TOSSER

• Options

One word. TOSSER

Another typical response that we have sadly become used to from the loony left. If you are wrong and cant argue back, just be rude and abusive instead.

Seriously, why do those on the left have to be so nasty?
    Slightly disingenuous, from a man who's just blamed the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people on 'soap dodging naive idiots', who on another post has belittled people attempting to expose elected governments' spying on their own populations as 'grasses' and has such a poor understanding of current events that he didn't even appear t be aware that one of those people he was mocking was American.
  • Options

One word. TOSSER

Agree HG.
    Loony tune blames loony left.

• Options
    strange when Assads forces are making gains there is a near media blackout, then suddenly Syria is back in the news, these rebels are made up for the type of people with the same ideals as the taliban coming over the borders in their droves something not quite right about all this, these Rebels seems much worse.
  • Options
    Blair asking for direct intervention ...the irony
  • Options
    nolly said:

Blair asking for direct intervention ...the irony

He likes a bit of military action does old Tone, as long as its someone else's kids getting blown to pieces of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as soon as assads forces started to repel the rebels suddenly all this comes out, rebels that make kellys heroes look angelic
  • Options
    Agreed Nolly. The problem with Syria is the same as it is in any country where there's been a dictatorship for so long - the power vacuum that comes after is often much, much worse.
  • Options
    Seems to me that neither side would make for a particularly good government... Send a fully mandated UN army in, split the fight up calm it down... And I'm fresh out of ideas.
  • Options
    TEL said:

No idea who Helen Flanagan is.....some here today gone tomorrow bimbo with big boobs?

You might have known her as Rosie Webster in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    well for the good of mankind i hope these rebels are defeated, and people remember that the us and uk are willing to arm terrorists...again
  • Options
    Its just a pit of shit that will never be sorted this was the one place that you knew would start the ticking bomb iran

If the west go in it is show time for russia and iran and that would be a disaster
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Anyone else find it a little strange that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons? what I mean is whilst the whole world is watching them it begs the question as to why?

Lets first of all see what the UNI finds then asses, although time is now not on their side and If they do find out that they have used Sarin, and that's IF, then we should attack Syria without question.

If Iran and Russia want to defend Syria after this then that's up to them.

• Options
    I find nothing odd in any of it. When you are dealing with extremists and murderous dictators all normal thought goes out of the window.
  • Options
    Yeah I know where you're coming from Shooters, and I'll agree that is the case especially in the ME, however, the Syrian government has had the upper hand in this conflict recently, I find it bizarre that they would want to unravel it by doing such a stupid thing knowing outside intervention would follow, or maybe it was a ploy all along? or maybe I'm reading too much into it.