Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Syria

Comments

• Options

Religion. I shit it.

This
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I've no idea whether there is a solution but there must be someone out there who can begin to orchestrate one. Until then, one of my many concerns is this chemical warfare. Both parties deny responsibility for lobbing it about but someone is. If its proven beyond doubt to be Assad there surely they can no longer hide behind butch Putin. Even more worryingly, if its the rebels (under any guise) that have the chemicals. Al Qaeda et al will be partying in the streets with this gear and a serious threat to our country. As for the remark that religion is poo.....Hallelujah bro!
  • Options
    The UN are "supposed" to sort this stuff out. I've just read a book about the Rwandan genocide, and my faith in humanity has actually ended. I can't see a decent resolution to this
  • Options
    Ive never seen anything like those images before. Are they confirmed as genuine?
  • Options
    Those images will stay with me for a while. I just cannot contemplate what would make a person want to do this, but then I never have.
    Pure evil. Left speechless.
  • Options

The blame for the sad recent events in the middle east lies directly with the estimated one million left wing soap dodging naïve idiots that thought they were being so clever, high and mighty by getting on the 'not in my name' band wagon and demonstrating against the Iraq war ten years ago.

All they achieved is to make the government wary of getting directly involved in these conflicts.

Libya, Egypt, Syria. All you anti war protesters have blood on your hands today.
    I hope you are proud of your efforts.

Total arse gravy. We only got involved in Iraq and Afghanistan because Blair was bunked up with Bush, wanting to do his daddies unfinished business. We never get involved with anything before or since
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The blame for the sad recent events in the middle east lies directly with the estimated one million left wing soap dodging naïve idiots that thought they were being so clever, high and mighty by getting on the 'not in my name' band wagon and demonstrating against the Iraq war ten years ago.

All they achieved is to make the government wary of getting directly involved in these conflicts.

Libya, Egypt, Syria. All you anti war protesters have blood on your hands today.

Total arse gravy. We only got involved in Iraq and Afghanistan because Blair was bunked up with Bush, wanting to do his daddies unfinished business. We never get involved with anything before or since
    Sierra Leone? Kosovo?
  • Options

Despite most peoples complaints, we 'here' have not the scoobiest idea what it must be like to live somewhere like 'there'

I followed some of the utter horror going on in Egypt over the last week, which was dwarfed in the popular press by Helen Flanagan breaking a nail, and I genuinely wonder what it takes to shake the rest of the world into action when its not on our doorstep.

I'm glad William Hague has told them we are not jolly hockey sticks about it all though.

A timely reminder to us AFKA. A friend has family in Cairo and it's terrifying for them and some other friends that we made there during our travels have become too scared to e-mail us at the moment. The children are living in a perpetual state of terror not knowing who to trust as well as being indoctrinated into hatred for 'the other side'. It's all so profoundly depressing and Syria just has me reaching for a bucket of sand bury my head into. The one thing that is certain is that somehow we must find a way of entering into genuine dialogue with the Russians, but I'm not that hopeful as each side wants to not only protect, but also to extend its sphere of power and influence.
  • Options

Sorry but this is utter utter bollocks.
  • Options

Ive never seen anything like those images before. Are they confirmed as genuine?

Yes it was Helen's index finger!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smudge it's time for you to read a little and educate yourself. I'd recommend you read a bit of Robert Fisk on the descent into Civil War in the Lebanon, and the descent into civil war in Algeria after the military chucked the ISF out. Then you can build your knowledge on Egypt, Libya and Syria.

Of course if you want to apportion blame and solve Civil Wars in societies that are millenia old on middle class marchers in London, you might struggle to understand the factors. You could sit down and enjoy tea with Paul Bremner, he sees things like a simple-free-market-kleptocrat-moron-messiah. Oh no sorry you just have to share soap with Wolfowitz.
  • Options
    Stay well away from this.

Religion
    Tribalism
    Klanship
    Heritiage colonialism
    Left wing bollx "its all whiteys fault"
    Globilization
    Corruption

sort all the above out and you may get somewhere.

• Options

Why should we get involved in these conflicts? We have enough troubles to keep us busy at home without going half way round the would and spending billions in a barren sandy land.

Let's get our own house in order first and maybe when finances are better we will take a look at their problems, until then they are on their own.
  • Options
    A stupid thing to say in the first place.

Turning the current massacre of innocent children into a right way/ left wing debate is disheartening as the debate then only goes one way.
  • Options
    Terrible scenes, I must have had my head buried as missed this news.

Shocking.

• Options
    I don't get involved in the politcal stuff usually, mainly because I never understand it fully, but what I don't get is people blaming it on the left or blaming it on the right.

The real reason we have atrocities like this is because human beings are disgusting people at times whatever side they're on.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I don't get involved in the politcal stuff usually, mainly because I never understand it fully, but what I don't get is people blaming it on the left or blaming it on the right.

The real reason we have atrocities like this is because human beings are disgusting people at times whatever side they're on.

Too right. Murderous dictators are murderous dictators regardless of what "political" label they want to hide behind.

Pathetic attempting to blame an atrocity in Syria or Egypt now on demonstrations in the UK that took place 10 years ago and which didn't even have the effect that the demonstrators wanted. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan carried on regardless.

Any reluctance to intervene in Syria is because, unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, the Syrian government has a big and powerful sponsor in Russia.
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

Too right. Murderous dictators are murderous dictators regardless of what "political" label they want to hide behind.

Pathetic attempting to blame an atrocity in Syria or Egypt now on demonstrations in the UK that took place 10 years ago and which didn't even have the effect that the demonstrators wanted. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan carried on regardless.

Any reluctance to intervene in Syria is because, unlike Iraq and Afghanistan, the Syrian government has a big and powerful sponsor in Russia.
    Russia and Putin are the key. Not sure how we can get them onside or they us but without some cooperation between "the west" and Russia this will continue to be a talking shop with no positive outcomes for the poor people involved.

• Options
    It's a shame that people can no longer look at a story without pinning the blame on one section of the public that they dislike...

Assad has been allowed to continue his attacks mainly because of support from Iran and Russia, they should hold the blame.
  • Options
    Agree SHG. The Russians have successfully stopped the UN from inspecting the area so it then clears the way for Russia to blame terrorists or rebel groups to enable them to deny that there is blood on their hands. Same tactics, same players, different countries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's a shame that people can no longer look at a story without pinning the blame on one section of the public that they dislike...

Assad has been allowed to continue his attacks mainly because of support from Iran and Russia, they should hold the blame.

Is Assad saying that the rebels have done this? arent they given weapons by the Saudi's & Co?

Just trying to get my head around why someone would do this to their own.
  • Options
    Until the scientist can get in it will be difficult even to establish what agent was used. I have heard that the stockpile of chemical weapons held by Assad is largely Mustard gas and Sarin. Neither of which particularly produce the effects seen on those shocking news images. Some scientists are speculating the agent o be more likely agricultural or industrial chemicals used which throws further doubt onto the actual perpetrators. In a perverse way I hope that the government is to blame for this and not some group of unaccountable and potential terrorists. The thought of a similar attack by such a group on the west is unthinkable.
  • Options

Is Assad saying that the rebels have done this? arent they given weapons by the Saudi's & Co?

Just trying to get my head around why someone would do this to their own.
    From what I've read the regime are claiming that the rebels are fabricating the evidence that chemical attacks were used.

'The regime of President Bashar Assad claims that no chemical weapons were used, but that there was an ongoing offensive against “jihadists.”

“We are making a great advance in Jobar, Zamalka, Ghouta and Mouadamieh, which are under the heaviest attack since the start of the two-year conflict,” a Syrian security source told CBS News.'
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

blockquote>

The demonstrations DID have the effect that the demonstrators wanted. We no longer use invasive military techniques to assist other countries. That was the aim of the demonstrators. Tragically as a result many innocents have died.
    Like the way we didn't intervene in Libya. Or with the somali pirates. Let alone in Iraq or Afganistan.

We didn't intervene in Syria due to the Russians.

• Options

Until the scientist can get in it will be difficult even to establish what agent was used. I have heard that the stockpile of chemical weapons held by Assad is largely Mustard gas and Sarin. Neither of which particularly produce the effects seen on those shocking news images. Some scientists are speculating the agent o be more likely agricultural or industrial chemicals used which throws further doubt onto the actual perpetrators. In a perverse way I hope that the government is to blame for this and not some group of unaccountable and potential terrorists. The thought of a similar attack by such a group on the west is unthinkable.

More unthinkable than it was on those poor fuckers you mean?
  • Options

Everyone's getting twitchy on this one. The RN is putting in place the Gibraltar Pivot which basically means a "bomber" based permanently in Gib to allow them to react to a) Syria in the east and b) still keep an eye on the Russians towards the west.

RN have no capability to 'carry' a 'bomber' and if there was any UK intervention (initially air) into Syria it would be operated from/through RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus, just over the road so to speak. As for keeping an eye on the Russians toward the west from Gibraltar, you would need one bloody powerful pair of binoculars! ;-)