Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And then there was one: Paul Ellison suspended

Comments

• Options

iainment said:

Oh well no hospitality for me then, price ridiculous for what's on offer. If they got that right I'm sure they could make money and give a choice on all courses.

BTW what is the veg option?

I self cater when I go - a few samosas from Dadoos and a cup of tea from north stand catering.

It's risible that wildly overpriced pub-grub (with no choice) at The Valley masquerading as 'fayne dayning' should be termed 'hospitality'. Hospitality indicates generosity. Or do they mean you might cop botulism and end up in hospital? They should ditch all that pompous nonsense and concentrate on providing a choice of good food at a reasonable price. Delia Smith does it at Carrow Road; why not us?

Thought , effort and penny pinching , if you build it ....they will eat.

Catering at Charlton is the last thing on my mind when i go to the Valley , its too overpriced for what it is.
    I like what the Italian keeper Dino Zoff said about American sports: "They aren't real sports because the fans pitch up in the stadium car-park and gorge themselves on a massive picnic before the game. In real sports like football, the fans can't eat because their stomachs are knotted with excitement and anticipation."

• Options

iainment said:

Oh well no hospitality for me then, price ridiculous for what's on offer. If they got that right I'm sure they could make money and give a choice on all courses.

I self cater when I go - a few samosas from Dadoos and a cup of tea from north stand catering.

It's risible that wildly overpriced pub-grub (with no choice) at The Valley masquerading as 'fayne dayning' should be termed 'hospitality'. Hospitality indicates generosity. Or do they mean you might cop botulism and end up in hospital? They should ditch all that pompous nonsense and concentrate on providing a choice of good food at a reasonable price. Delia Smith does it at Carrow Road; why not us?

Catering at Charlton is the last thing on my mind when i go to the Valley , its too overpriced for what it is.
    I like what the Italian keeper Dino Zoff said about American sports: "They aren't real sports because the fans pitch up in the stadium car-park and gorge themselves on a massive picnic before the game. In real sports like football, the fans can't eat because their stomachs are knotted with excitement and anticipation."

And beer!

• Options

iainment said:

And beer!

or food poisoning!
  • Options
    Interesting, so have the club dealt with the issues with Paul?
    Has he been sacked? If not they could be in big trouble.
  • Options

Interesting, so have the club dealt with the issues with Paul?
    Has he been sacked? If not they could be in big trouble.
    A small change in the job title but not enough, I would have thought, to not be seen through by any tribunal.
  • Options
    "35 hours + all first team games". That will raise a smile from some.

And a laptip and mobile are "benefits"?

Another example though of how the first official news of any departure (MW, NJ and now PE) is their job being advertised. Classy.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    • Educated to degree level or equivalent. (D)

I know it's only 'desirable' but I don't see why that should be so. They don't specify a degree in 'catering' so what relevance would a degree in something else have?

When I worked in banking (which was pre 1990) they used to fast track graduates onto management schemes. We often found that graduates who had no prior experience of 'working' may have been intelligent, but often lacked common sense and basic knowledge of the job. Just because you have a degree, it doesn't necessarily make you a good manager.
  • Options
    Fantastic opportunity for some board and club bashing this one.....and still nobody knows why he left.

Imagine advertising a catering manager vacancy and saying it would be nice if the person had a degree and needed to work when the team is playing and the catering facilities are being used - what is this club becoming ?
  • Options

Another example though of how the first official news of any departure (MW, NJ and now PE) is their job being advertised. Classy.

So this chap loses his job and the subsequent vacancy is advertised. You complain this is the first 'official news' of his departure.

What would you have them do?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    PL54 said:

Fantastic opportunity for some board and club bashing this one.....and still nobody knows why he left.

Imagine advertising a catering manager vacancy and saying it would be nice if the person had a degree and needed to work when the team is playing and the catering facilities are being used - what is this club becoming ?

Presumably he lost his job because the catering is a disgrace. I dont like to see anyone lose their job but the evidence is there to see every home game.
  • Options
    I would bet my house that's not why he left.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

I would bet my house that's not why he left.

You could well be right.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

So this chap loses his job and the subsequent vacancy is advertised. You complain this is the first 'official news' of his departure.

What would you have them do?
    He was only suspended, not fired.
  • Options
    Beds, that is what you presume. But those that know have stated on this thread that his departure is nothiing to do with how he performed his banqueting and conferencing duties.

Redskin, what else could they do?

Hold on to long serving managers better. I don't know Paul's situation but Matt Wright has said himself that he left without a job to go to. Add to him Varney, Kavanagh, Everitt, Perfect + Reed. That's a lot of experience going out the door.

If they want Paul or Matt out then maybe plan it better so they hire before the postholder leaves. They would be working notice you would have thought so there could be a smooth handover and no gap when there is no manager in post. PE has left but we're only now recruiting. They had all summer to out Paul if they thought he wasn't up to the job. Why do it when the season starts? But as has been said it's not about his competence just as it wasn't with Matt.

When senior manager do leave, as they naturally will, thank them for their years of service before you advertise. It is just shabby. If the role is important enough to warrant a full page advert on the OS the postholder then warrants at least a "thanks and good luck" somewhere.
  • Options
    As usual nobody actually knows the reason save AB who typically can't talk about it.

Charlton isn't exempt from the vagaries of life,chap loses his job; it happens everyday.

If this chap was responsible for the kiosk catering then I'm afraid I agree with Beds. He wasn't fit for the job.

• Options
    But he didn't leave because of how the Club thought he did his job.

If it was then you might have a point but you'd also have to consider what resources and budget a manager is given and how much profit conferencing and banqueting make (quite a lot when I had direct access to the figures albeit a few years ago now).

And even if he was sacked for incompetence (which he wasn't it seems) they could still mention that he has left and wish him good luck.
  • Options

But he didn't leave because of how the Club thought he did his job.

If it was then you might have a point but you'd also have to consider what resources and budget a manager is given and how much profit conferencing and banqueting make (quite a lot when I had direct access to the figures albeit a few years ago now).

And even if he was sacked for incompetence (which he wasn't it seems) they could still mention that he has left and wish him good luck.</blockquote

If the club had made a statement thanking this bloke for his contributions then they would be called disingenuous. They can't win. The majority of Charlton fans wouldn't have heard of him anyway and judging by the comments here, are unanimous that the catering facilities are appalling. Though we're led to believe by the itk peeps here that he wasn't sacked/suspended for competency reasons.

• Options
    But that simply isn't true. Some people have said the hospitality catering was very good. People who've been to sponsors dinners and POTY do's think it was good too.

Other disagree which is fine but as it is nothing to do with why Paul left it is not relevant here.

They can win. Quite easy to manage people and manage communications better than they do now but they just don't seem to know how.
  • Options

But that simply isn't true. Some people have said the hospitality catering was very good. People who've been to sponsors dinners and POTY do's think it was good too.

Other disagree which is fine but as it is nothing to do with why Paul left it is not relevant here.

They can win. Quite easy to manage people and manage communications better than they do now but they just don't seem to know how.

Or maybe just don't care enough to want to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know if they should comment on individual staff. On CL there is an interest in stuff like this as we talk about it all the time but there are thousands of CAFC fans that haven't got a clue or care what happens behind he scenes. They wouldn't know who SK or PE are and what they did.
  • Options
    Agreed 100% suz
  • Options
    And then there were ... none.
  • Options
    Who's gone now ?
  • Options
    Dave Archer. In last night's programme
  • Options
    Dave Archer - was an article in the programme last night
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I don't know if they should comment on individual staff. On CL there is an interest in stuff like this as we talk about it all the time but there are thousands of CAFC fans that haven't got a clue or care what happens behind he scenes. They wouldn't know who SK or PE are and what they did.

Rather contradicting this argument, we get a full page on Dave Archer leaving!

In fact a second piece five pages later as well.
  • Options
    What did article say please, got there really late & didn't get programme.
  • Options

Rather contradicting this argument, we get a full page on Dave Archer leaving!

In fact a second piece five pages later as well.
    No one to do the programme now so just fill it up with anything !
  • Options

What did article say please, got there really late & didn't get programme.

Please don't think we've sacked Dave too...