Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wiggins to be sold?

Comments

• Options
    Would like to know where the info came from that we're looking to specifically offload Wiggins. Just doesn't add up to me, expect him to still be here at the end of the window.
  • Options
    AB could you post some good news for once?
  • Options

Disaster if it happens. I think Wiggins is just about our most valuable player both in terms of his on field contribution and his sales potential. At the very least we should be extending his contract so that if he does go we get a reasonable fee. I'd always thought he'd go to Everton when they sell Baines as he's their sort of budget range. Needs must when it comes to strikers but for my money we are a couple of sales (both full backs) away from a car crash. Wilson and Evina are simply not in the same class. I'd much rather flog off a few fringe players and the likes of Hollands and Stephens for the same sort of money/wage saving ands run with a smaller squad than flog Wiggy. I suspect 3 September is going to be an uncomfortable evening.

What if he's already refused to sign a new contract?

What if we've been trying to sell Hollands/Stephens all summer and no one wants them?

What if we're not even trying to sell Wiggins?
  • Options
    Is there any actual evidence that this was in the offing. Nobody seems to have had any idea that the Sordell deal was coming. The Powell regime keeps its cards close to its chest.
  • Options
    Would be gutted. Full backs is our best position. Ceddy is ok but not a patch on Wiggy who gives us so much going forwards as well as in defense. Selling best assets to fund loan assets is not good, long term business IMO. We really are desperate I guess.
  • Options

He is a bit of a harbinger of doom isn't he!
  • Options
    Has someone literally just thrown it out there........

if they have then I've heard kermo was unhappy with the variety of food in the canteen, and has handed in a transfer request.

Not formal yet but Northampton look likely to get his signature.
  • Options

He loves it.
  • Options

A bit?

• Options
    When will the people who keep harping on about selling Stephens realise that maybe nobody wants him now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Makes sense to me. Club is in financial do-do. He is one of the better players and would bring in some cash. Cedric Evina would do a good job in that position. If there was an injury problem CP could do the old Solly-Wilson switch again.

I can't pretend that it's good news and will be disappinted if he goes, but it certainly seems a better option to me than letting either Solly or Kermorgant go.
  • Options
    AB wouldn't throw it out there if there wasn't any truth to it. Sometimes I despair.
  • Options

Has someone literally just thrown it out there........

if they have then I've heard kermo was unhappy with the variety of food in the canteen, and has handed in a transfer request.

Not formal yet but Northampton look likely to get his signature.

That's how I feel about it as well.
  • Options

Would like to know where the info came from that we're looking to specifically offload Wiggins. Just doesn't add up to me, expect him to still be here at the end of the window.

Understood. I can't elaborate at the moment, but more will become clear in the next fortnight. In the meantime, my belief is that the best hope of retaining all our better players is that the board appear to be as unrealistic in their valuations as they are in their financial planning.
  • Options
    I guess the other way to look at it is that they are targeting him , CP could persuade them to target a less needed player similar to button who wouldn't be a huge loss - someone like Stephens , green or Hollands ...
    Fingers crossed anyway
  • Options
    I'd say we have a few key assets - Solly, Wiggins, Hamer, Yann and Jackson. Of those, Wiggins is the most saleable. The latter three are our only senior keeper, senior striker and captain respectively. Solly could go - but it would be a massive signal that confirms to all the people whose spectacles are not so much rose-tinted as actual roses that we are in a bit of financial trouble.

So, Wiggins it has to be - and any worries from his sale would be alleviated by a striker or something coming in.
  • Options

Understood. I can't elaborate at the moment, but more will become clear in the next fortnight. In the meantime, my belief is that the best hope of retaining all our better players is that the board appear to be as unrealistic in their valuations as they are in their financial planning.
    I hope your predictions are as accurate as the guff you posted this time last year.
  • Options
    I think there was a strong correlation between Wiggins' return to fitness last season and our second half surge.

Terrible news.
  • Options
    What guff was that Stu? Might this not be a goer then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think there was a strong correlation between Wiggins' return to fitness last season and our second half surge.

Terrible news.

I agree, think he is a massively important player for us
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

I guess the other way to look at it is that they are targeting him , CP could persuade them to target a less needed player similar to button who wouldn't be a huge loss - someone like Stephens , green or Hollands ...
    Fingers crossed anyway

What would be the point of that? The only one of those who we might get any money for is Stephens, and I think the days of Villa offering what was obviously silly money for him are long gone. Nope - if we sell anyone for a fee it'll be Wiggins or Solly.
  • Options

Disaster if it happens. I think Wiggins is just about our most valuable player both in terms of his on field contribution and his sales potential. At the very least we should be extending his contract so that if he does go we get a reasonable fee. I'd always thought he'd go to Everton when they sell Baines as he's their sort of budget range. Needs must when it comes to strikers but for my money we are a couple of sales (both full backs) away from a car crash. Wilson and Evina are simply not in the same class. I'd much rather flog off a few fringe players and the likes of Hollands and Stephens for the same sort of money/wage saving ands run with a smaller squad than flog Wiggy. I suspect 3 September is going to be an uncomfortable evening.

This 100%.

• Options
    I can't help thinking that Wiggins out (and Evina in at left back) is no massive disaster. IF that would allow Sordell and say Obika to come in. A championship club doesnt really need two top full backs (for this level) and it is a bit of a luxury. Evina having a full season as first choice LB would make him an even better player. Having a youth player moving up the ranks such as Fox is what most Championship clubs would have as a back up full back.
  • Options

Terrible news.

Not news, rumours.
  • Options

AB wouldn't throw it out there if there wasn't any truth to it. Sometimes I despair.

Don't despair Large, I wasn't having a dig at AB, just pointing out that he never posts anything considered positive. I truly yearn for that day when he posts something, anything that may make us smile. At this moment in time I'd be over the moon if he just posted that he'd found 50p in the street.
  • Options

The same AB who last year said we'd be lucky to finish the season with the same manager, squad and finish 21st.
    Stig said:

What guff was that Stu? Might this not be a goer then?

As above.
  • Options
    He did once post that we were being taken over by russians... Then quickly came to his senses and said it had fallen through :)
  • Options
    Perhaps Rhoys being sold was an option but now David Button has been sold that might have helped finance a deal for Sordell. I doubt very much that Powelly will want to sell Rhoys so I can't see that happening myself.
  • Options
    Wiggins came back from injury last an even stronger player imo. Not happy selling him if this is true. However with the limited time on his contract (of which why have we not extended his being a key player? ) if a decent fee is offered and we can strengthen elsewhere is the business not that bad? Personally I'd rather keep him as him, solly, morrison, Jackson, hamer and kermorgant are our best players
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!