Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smith To Wombles on loan until Jan

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Who needs Obika

Hear, hear...
  • Options
    Smith has lots of potential.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Who needs Obika

Hear, hear...
    Redhenry said:

Who needs Obika

Hang on let's not get carried away Obika has done it at Championship level. When Smithy does it in our first team I will agree with you :-)
  • Options
    Good strength and composure for his first goal, sandwiched between 2 defenders. Impressed.

The 2nd goal might "only" have been a tap in - but watch the video from the moment the winger gets free wide left:
    Smith starts his movement from deep left right across and behind the defence to the far post, where he made sure he was in the right position to finish.

Made it look simple but read the situation perfectly. Impressed again.

• Options
    He's the equal highest goal scorer in league two now as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/top-scorers
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Good strength and composure for his first goal, sandwiched between 2 defenders. Impressed.

The 2nd goal might "only" have been a tap in - but watch the video from the moment the winger gets free wide left:
    Smith starts his movement from deep left right across and behind the defence to the far post, where he made sure he was in the right position to finish.

Made it look simple but read the situation perfectly. Impressed again.

Spot on. He may need a little more about him to boss a Championship centre-half for the first, but the composure of the lob and the movement for the second show a very good footballing brain in there.

Would like to see him step up to L1 if there's another loan in 2nd half of season, but wouldn't mind him back either. Well done Smudger, keep it up.
  • Options
    Looks to have beefed up a bit now too. Think the club are playing a blinder as to his footballing development. Like Oggy I was impressed by his quick brain and movement.
  • Options
    When is his contract up?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    End of the season, signed a 3 year deal in 2011.

He had a spell in League 1 last season with Colchester, 3 starts, 5 sub apps and 2 goals.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=50130

In the summer Powell talked about him becoming more "battle hardened".

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/10587166.Striker_challenged_to_make_most_of_AFC_Wimbledon_loan_by_Charlton_manager/

We're going to need a replacement for Yann eventually. Hope he can make the step up.
  • Options
    Amazing that he is smaller than their 12. Decent turn of pace for 2nd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    glad he's with Wimbledon and doing well, soft spot for them, although I do somewhat wish he was playing in a high tier

Seems like he could be pretty solid in the near future, he's doing very well in the League (1 and 2)

Even though it's League 2, fair play to Wimbledon they are really helping him develop it seems
  • Options
    Chuck said:

glad he's with Wimbledon and doing well, soft spot for them, although I do somewhat wish he was playing in a high tier

Seems like he could be pretty solid in the near future, he's doing very well in the League (1 and 2)

Even though it's League 2, fair play to Wimbledon they are really helping him develop it seems

Be interesting to see what happens 2nd half of the season. maybe he will come back and take Piggots place and Piggot go out on loan, or if he is pushed up the leagues to a Div 1 team. If we rate him then we'll need to sign him up soon.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Be interesting to see what happens 2nd half of the season. maybe he will come back and take Piggots place and Piggot go out on loan, or if he is pushed up the leagues to a Div 1 team. If we rate him then we'll need to sign him up soon.

i hope he stays at Wimbledon, although ideally id like him playing as high up as possible, Wimbledon seem to be using him, and importaintly, relying him. no point loaning him to a team where he wont start

I still think in this season it'll end up with Pigott > Smith, solely based upon the face that Jones said he was the best finisher he'd ever coached
  • Options
    A must to make next loan to a L1 team who can provide him with decent service.
  • Options
    Well done to smithy but could he play well in the same team as joe pig got?
  • Options
    U21s last season?
  • Options
    Smith scored his 5th goal of the season in today's 3-1 win.

The goal was wrongly reported as being scored by Harry Pell (and hasn't been corrected on most websites), but it was definitely Smith's goal.
  • Options
    Should make Smith top-scorer in League Two at the moment then
  • Options
    Just seen it and it wasn't Smith
  • Options
    Twitter seems to confirm it was smith. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring him back yet? Or would it be more beneficial long term to keep him there where he is on fire?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Someone should tell him and Wimbledon then..

• Options

Just been on Twitter and Fox and Hughes are congratulating Smith for the goal
  • Options

Twitter seems to confirm it was smith. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring him back yet? Or would it be more beneficial long term to keep him there where he is on fire?

I wrote on another thread that maybe we should take him back and offer Piggott in return, but on reflection I think thats a knee jerk reaction. I think Piggott isnt ready and needs a spell at a Div 2 club, but we are stuck, we don't have enough striking options to let Piggott go. Just think if we bring Smith back now, we pile pressure on him. And we shaft Wimbledon. Let him stay and learn.

• Options
    No offence to Smith, but what's Rob Hulse up to these days. Smith is not ready yet and the same with Joe. Without Yann the ball does not stick up front.
  • Options
    Depends on whether Smith returns in January or not. If he does, I expect it may be Piggott who is loaned out and Smith who is on the bench (I am not expecting any money for signings!). Otherwise as Prague says, there will be a LOT of pressure put on a young player, too much pressure perhaps.
  • Options
    Smith is more ready than Piggott!!
  • Options

Smith is more ready than Piggott!!

Agreed, Pigott may have more potential, but Smith is far more likely to do a job for 90 minutes in the Championship this season (not that I'd want either to start to be honest)
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see who establishes himself first - If one of them does -Smith earning his trade at a lower level or Piggot getting thrown in at the deep end.

I think that Smith needs to go up to league 1 in January and the club should be exploring the best options to make it happen!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

No offence to Smith, but what's Rob Hulse up to these days. Smith is not ready yet and the same with Joe. Without Yann the ball does not stick up front.

Read last week that Rob Hulse is still without a club so is taking his coaching badges.

• Options
    Smith and Pigott could be our forward line in a couple of years based on U21 pairing.