Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3rd Ashes Test

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm I think we need another wicket.

Aus 168-3 47 overs

Clarke 52*
    Smith 11*
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Huge appeal for caught behind. Given not out but reviewed.

Decision stands. Smith stays at the crease.
  • Options
    Not given, all the reviews gone.
  • Options
    So what's happened to the traditional umpiring maxim

if in doubt not out?
  • Options
    something strange is going on, that's two reviews, both with phantom sounds in that clearly weren't the bat, don't look like bat on pad or bat on floor, so what are they?

Decision was fair enough, as with the previous one, there wasn't enough in the footage to overturn the on-field decision.
  • Options
    And the umpires even it up by not giving Smith out LBW when it was plumb... dear oh dear
  • Options
    203-3 58.5ovs

Clarke 73*
    Smith 25*
  • Options
    hot work out there for the boys today .. hot & muggy .. welcome to Brisbane
  • Options
    My 3-1 prediction is looking good.
  • Options
    Runs on a road in SA count for nothing, Warner fails.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    370-5

Swann comes on & does the business, getting Smith 89 & Warner 5.

Warner appealled & lost, after thick edging it to slip. Hilarious. (Tbf his bat also hit his pad).
  • Options

370-5

Swann comes on & does the business, getting Smith 89 & Warner 5.

Warner appealled & lost, after thick edging it to slip. Hilarious. (Tbf his bat also hit his pad).

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but given some of the third umpire decisions in this Test and series it might be worth appealling a slap off the meat of the bat to cover.
  • Options
    392/5 at lunch.

The pitch looks pretty benign - but England will still have to bat well.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    at last a proper test match .. sensible batting, bowlers struggling and a pensive, quiet crowd. I feel quite nostalgic
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Clarke b Broad 186

427-6

Broad's 200th test wicket.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    430-7

Siddle b Swann 1

5 wickets for Swann.
  • Options
    Need to wrap this up. We'll need to get close to their score, because batting last won't be fun (unless we are already focussed on a draw!). Lets hope Cook, Trott and KP step up. They are due a score
  • Options
    Conversely it seems some aussie pundits are concerned that Aus will get bowled out for 465, England will rack up 600 and then skittle Aus on the last day. The general opinion seems to be it's a bit of a batsmen's paradise out there.

Question is, would Tremlett have been the better option on a flat track?
  • Options
    Or Panesar? Bearing mind Swanny has taken 5 of the 7 wickets
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Or Panesar? Bearing mind Swanny has taken 5 of the 7 wickets

Good call. Make you wonder why Root has only bowled 2 overs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    507-7 at tea.
  • Options
    Is Anderson playing in this test? Oh no not another tailender taking the piss out of our bowling.
  • Options
    I'm up to Manchester tomorrow, as I have tickets for Sunday and Monday. Before the match I was worried about the game being over in 3 days, and not seeing any play. Now, rain seems to be the issue, with both days loking quite rainy.
  • Options
    527-7 declared.
  • Options

I'm up to Manchester tomorrow, as I have tickets for Sunday and Monday. Before the match I was worried about the game being over in 3 days, and not seeing any play. Now, rain seems to be the issue, with both days loking quite rainy.

It's Manchester soon to be renamed Rainchester :-(
  • Options
    So England need 328 to avoid the follow on, that is gettable. I'd have thought Australia's best chance would be to hammer some more quick runs against tired bowling and set a follow target of over 400.
  • Options
    Fred Boycott ‏@FredBoycott
    They've had enough. The England bowlers have ground them down. 527-7 dec.
  • Options
    quite an aggressive declaration that. Thought they'd bat on for another hour or two.

Assuming England can avoid a collapse it's hard to see this game ending in a result. It need the pitch to deteriorate quite a bit to give the bowling a chance on days 4 and 5. I'll be out of the country from tomorrow, so at least I can't jinx the English batsmen by flicking the TV over to catch the score just in time to see a wicket fall!
  • Options

Assuming England can avoid a collapse....

A pretty big assumption!
  • Options
    If Australia get 2 or 3 tonight, it'll be a very sensible declaration. It must be tough for Cook, being Captain out there in the sun for the best part of 2 days, then 10 minutes later walking out with his pads on.