Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So Just who is Joe Pigott?

Comments

• Options
    A friend of mine is a Newport fan and just spoke to him about Joe Pigott briefly - not looking too great there apparently. A shame, because Millwall at home aside (a game he should never have started), I thought he looked like he could make it here. Maybe not.
  • Options
    Haven't seen anything at all from him that suggests he is going to make it here so far. Even in that Oxford game when people raved about him, he scored the penalty etc. Thought he looked a bit too slow and clumsy for Championship level.

I know some on here get offended when a youth product is put down, but he simply isn't at our level, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Im hearing he doesnt really apply himself as a professional athlete.
  • Options
    Pigott for me is nowhere near good enough for us.
    His touch is woeful as is his hold-up play.
    Naturally we all want our academy players to make it, but Joe is easily comparable to ex-Charlton lad Michael Smith and the current Polish Pete.
    Two examples of tall young strikers who both know where the goal is and clearly have fire in their bellies!
    They show a totally different attitude than that of Joe, who often appears disinterested.
  • Options
    If Smith wasn't making it the team we had, Pigott won't in the team we've now got.
  • Options
    Thought he had a good touch and powerful shot.

He does look slow and a little lumbering however.

Also looks like he is a long way off in terms of fitness but I had put that down to a young, large lad who is still growing into his body rather than anything else.

Wouldn't rule him out but he has a long way to go.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones Rated Pigott the most gifted striker, that he had worked with 2 years ago.
    Jones left to go to Brighton, as 1st team coach and Joe's career has stagnated.

Polish Pete struggled in the U21, thou does score out on loan.
    Smith scores in the lower divisions.

Norwich are so greedy, they have 5 strikers,
    Grabban, Jerome,Redmond, Hooper and Lafferty,

The haves and have nots.

Yes i know we beat them, i was there, I still don't know how thou.
  • Options
    Apart from being a friend of my Grandson Tom, he has a very supportive family and a good group of friends. Those of us who were at Welling two Summers ago saw him score a hat trick in the first half, showing the sort of finishing that we often lack and linking very well with Yann. If I had to offer advice I would say that he needs to toughen up, which would make him a good prospect in any league.
  • Options
    After seeing the u21's on Monday I thought Kadell Daniel looked a very decent prospect, along with 3 or 4 others, such as Thomas, Holmes-Dennis, Lennon and Munns. I hope Joe can step up, but it does look like a steep learning curve for any player, in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Nathan Jones Rated Pigott the most gifted striker, that he had worked with 2 years ago.

The haves and have nots.

1) superb defence on the Addicks players part
    2) superb goalkeeping on Henderson's part
    3) Jackson's philosophy .. if you don't shoot you don't score
    4) abysmal finishing by the Norwich strikeforce you name
    5) abysmal goalkeeping from supposedly one of England's best (hahahaha)
    6) sheer power of prayer from the Addicks watching from the stands

as for young Joe .. alas, I fear that he has no future as a CAFC player. The team/club now has now developed a way of playing that simply does not suit his style and I suspect that Peeters will be in charge for quite a long time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The haves and have nots.

1) superb defence on the Addicks players part
    2) superb goalkeeping on Henderson's part
    3) Jackson's philosophy .. if you don't shoot you don't score
    4) abysmal finishing by the Norwich strikeforce you name
    5) abysmal goalkeeping from supposedly one of England's best (hahahaha)
    6) sheer power of prayer from the Addicks watching from the stands

as for young Joe .. alas, I fear that he has no future as a CAFC player. The team/club now has now developed a way of playing that simply does not suit his style and I suspect that Peeters will be in charge for quite a long time
    1)agree
    2)agree
    3)agree
    4)agree
    5)agree
    6) being an atheist i can't agree

• Options

I suspect his future may lie away from the club, but not for the reason you state. I have not seen lots of Piggot, but what I have seen suggests to me that he would be best suited to a passing side. He is tall, but he is not, at least yet, a physical battering ram type player, nor is he particularly potent in the air. He is probably more like Tucudean in that he looks physically big but his game is more about neat touches and intelligence of movement.

I think there is something there with Joe, but he may be a late bloomer and has the look of a player who if he going to make it will have to do so the long way - by dropping down the leagues and grafting his way back up. Our style of player is probably better suited to him now than it was 12 months ago though.

• Options
    As you say Pigott is like Tucudean in that physically they are both big guys but do not seem to have a great deal of strength or pace.
  • Options
    Funny how his dad was so small and he is 6ft 2
    Sadly will not make the level at charlton and neither will munns
  • Options

Funny how his dad was so small and he is 6ft 2
    Sadly will not make the level at charlton and neither will munns

Yeah, you're right. I can't see Munns reaching the level of 6ft 2" either.
  • Options
    When Big Bob first arrived it seemed (admittedly looking at things from a distance) that he was , and maybe still is, enthusiastic about Joe. he played Joe pre season, and also said he told Joe not to worry about not scoring pre season, he should save his goals for the league. I believe that Bob felt (feels) that Joe is still coachable and could develop.
    We then had the arrival of Tucadean, and the pressure of real matches kicked in, and Joe's early season form on the sidelines (development squad) was not particularly impressive. The frustration is that it is easy to spot a lot of positive attributes in Joe's game, but he still needs to get over that line that makes him a player, and Bob and others probably think (thought?) they could help him cross that line.
    Going out on loan to Newport is an attempt to develop the player, but there will come a point where the club and coaches can't do much more, and Joe has to do it for himself. I would still give Joe a bit more time, from what I have seen of them both, he is a better player than Polish Pete, who we have on a blimmin long contract for pete's sake!
    It has been said earlier that it may be that Joe's overall style will not match the Peeters Charlton style and Joe may move on. Given that we are very thin on the ground up front we have to keep Joe for now anyway.

As for Jack Munns, I absolutely think right now is a very good time to send him out on loan, but not in a Lennon/Cambridge situation. Jack needs to get some genuine first team experience somewhere, ideally somewhere like Crewe Alexandra, and we will be able to see what Munns looks like in that kind of context. It was very educative indeed when we were able to observe Nick Pope in a sustained run in a proper first team.
  • Options
    he is a better player than Polish Pete, who we have on a blimmin long contract for pete's sake!

Go steady with the puns please !
  • Options
    Think Munns size would mean he would struggle in the lower leagues.. He would be more suited to the championship or above where they actually play some football.. However I think we all know he is not ready for the championship. Perhaps a loan to one of RD's other clubs across Europe would help! Although would be a tough learning curve for a young kid! Having said that county cricketers of his age spend the winter in Aus or SA...
  • Options
    whatever is said, the fact is, he's better than George.
  • Options

whatever is said, the fact is, he's better than George.

nonsense

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Anyone else just hear stelling call him Pie Got
  • Options
    scored again today
  • Options
    A stunning strike apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29670177
  • Options
    Who were Newport playing?
  • Options
    Goal! Newport County 1, Accrington Stanley 1. Joe Pigott (Newport County) right footed shot from outside the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Lee Minshull.
  • Options

Anyone else just hear stelling call him Pie Got

He always does, it's strange.
  • Options
    A curled 30 yarder according to that BBC report.
  • Options
    Contender for goal of the day on SSN.
  • Options
    Well done, young Joe !