Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glenn Hoddle - What is wrong with our game

Fantastic article from Glenn Hoddle in today's mail. We need him in charge of the FA if we ever want to win an international trophy again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291591/GLENN-HODDLE-The-future-England-team-frightening-Our-game-needs-radical-changes.html

Comments

• Options
    Everyone complains how our international football is slowly dying to death. In some ways I agree but we really need to look at other aspects first.

I totally lost interest in our International football since the last World Cup because I got so fed up with the way we played and most of the players attitude was disgusting. How can Wayne Rooney complain to the fans for booing and call them so-called loyal supporters when they spent a lot to support them and watch them when he is earning thousands every week. They are just spoilt bigheaded brats as far as I am concerned.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtQq7jyZE4

I miss the England team of Euro 96, we may not have been the best team in the World but we had players with real attitude! I remember watching Stuart Pearce's penalty in the Quarter final and his pride and passion after the penalty was truly memorable.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OCRrvMBpA

Think I am talking a load of rubbish? Then remember New Zealand's effort the last World Cup.

Oh and lets not forget we are the 4th best team in the World according to Fifa Rankings, way above Brazil who should have trashed us last game! Absoulute joke!
  • Options
    Article was from 2010 - he has said something similar today too though
  • Options
    That article is three years old - while it contains a lot of sensible suggestions its worth bearing in mind that the EPPP has since put many of them into practice.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think if you look at youth football in this country, many clubs haven't. In today's standard, it is part of the reason Hoddle said why he is not interested in managing the U-21s

Plus it is no good the FA promoting smaller pitches, less competitiveness and more skill when the youth coaches don't buy into it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Interesting but he is saying absolutely nothing which wasn't already known, if not patently obvious. I suspect that he is making a play for the England U21 role, and why not, a change is needed. Hoddle has been out of club and international management for a long time but I can't recall that any of his teams way back when were particularly innovative or mould breaking.
    Similar views on youth football's shortcomings and the needed change and development have been aired since about 1970. Everyone in a position of authority in the English game pays lip service to a radical shake up but of course, nothing changes.
    What the premier league, where most of the owners are foreigners wants, it gets. The rich men don't give a hoot for the development of young English players.
  • Options
    He was on Talksport today and was asked if he would consider taking over the U-21s. He said there would have to be some drastic changes at the FA before he got involved in the set up again.

Good player, good coach, maybe his man management skills were not up to much! That famous Irishman, Tony Cascarino, gives him a bit of a slating in his book.
  • Options
    Thought he was a good England manager until he got Eileen involved.

Probably the last time I kind of enjoyed watching England.
  • Options
    It is true that we look at the big strong kids- Barcelona look at the kid who plays with his head up - the problem is too many English people (including coaches) just don't get how important this fact is.
  • Options
    Even with eileen on board he was a top top england mgr

I loved watching us then
  • Options

Even with eileen on board he was a top top england mgr

I loved watching us then

Skill and nous. Badly missing since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were a decent side under hoddle

I can't forgive him playing ince and batty at the same time though
  • Options
    WSS said:

Thought he was a good England manager until he got Eileen involved.

Probably the last time I kind of enjoyed watching England.

From what I can gather she was involved pretty much from day one - what did for Hoddle was his odd views on reincarnation.

• Options
    What's puzzling about all of this is that there several books which spell out how kids at Clubs like Ajax and Barcelona are developed. It doesn't seem like rocket science and Johan Cruyff, the architect, even runs a consultancy! What's stopping English Clubs developing their young players more intelligently? Why not simply copy Barcelona's passing drills, for example? I think you can even visit La Masia.

Let's hope that Paul Hart gets it. The future is bright if he does.
  • Options
    Glen Hoddle is without doubt a knob but what he has to say about football is 100% spot on. We do however have Sir Trevor Brooking so no worries.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Everyone complains how our international football is slowly dying to death. In some ways I agree but we really need to look at other aspects first.

I totally lost interest in our International football since the last World Cup because I got so fed up with the way we played and most of the players attitude was disgusting. How can Wayne Rooney complain to the fans for booing and call them so-called loyal supporters when they spent a lot to support them and watch them when he is earning thousands every week. They are just spoilt bigheaded brats as far as I am concerned.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtQq7jyZE4

I miss the England team of Euro 96, we may not have been the best team in the World but we had players with real attitude! I remember watching Stuart Pearce's penalty in the Quarter final and his pride and passion after the penalty was truly memorable.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OCRrvMBpA

Think I am talking a load of rubbish? Then remember New Zealand's effort the last World Cup.

Oh and lets not forget we are the 4th best team in the World according to Fifa Rankings, way above Brazil who should have trashed us last game! Absoulute joke!

For me 2006 was the last tournament that I believed we could (not necessarily would) win it. We failed to qualify in 2008 and 2010 we were made to look poor against teams you need to put to bed if you are going to get anywhere the Semis.

By last summer I had no faith in the team at all. I can't see us getting anywhere near next summer (if we, even, qualify) and I'm sorry to say that the current manager is so uninspiring it's heart breaking.

I've paid a small fortune to watch England play over the years, but now I don't even watch the qualifiers when they are on terrestrial tv.

We all know the reasons, but until the Premier League changes we are headed towards being a third world contry in International Football.
  • Options
    I thought Hoddle was a magnificent player. I also believe he is a failed Coach at management level.......Club or Country. I really can't understand what he could offer.
  • Options
    Some extreme exaggeration in some of these posts. The results just don't bear out what many are saying. You can put whatever spin and opinion you like on your judgement of the performances, but we are always being told it's results that count. If England could take penalties...

That said, the win at all costs today attitude of the top clubs does us no favours, I agree.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How come all of à sudden glenn hoddle has all the answers?

His managerial record on a whole is very poor.

He would be a step backwards. If we are to move forward we need to rid ourselves of all these past dinosaurs.

Hoddle may of played a good and talk a good game but i for one want him no where near the set up. SP Mark 2.
  • Options
    I think he talks a lot of sense. The problem is ge'd have to be realistic and compromise on some of his views to get to a position where he could actually influence things in this country and I just don't think Hoddle could do that.
  • Options
    Hoddle recognises that unless there is root and branch change in how English football is run in terms of coaching at even the youngest level then our national team is still years from achieving any success. It happened in Holland, Germany and France and each of those countries have a continual production line of world class players. Sadly we don't. Did anyone watch the under 21's ? It was embarrassing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Am i missing the point. Were we poor because

a. All the best eligable players didn't, can't or won't play?

or

b. We do not have any players coming through?

Can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    No it's c. Because where as we can develop a the odd Rooney or Gerard through luck -and the fact that so many kids play the game - other top countries have that type of player on a production line. We want our 8 year olds to win tournaments where as Spain want them to love the ball and not go near competetive tournaments until they are in their teens. We have coaches stuck in the 80s where they want kids playing 11 a-side on big pitches as early as possible and resent the FA 's changes - which move up pitch size too early to appease them. We look at the kid who is bigger and stronger than the rest who can dribble past a team on his own, they look for the kid who reads the game and plays with his head up..............
  • Options
    Understood muttley.

I find it hard to grasp the fact we have so many players who have won the champions league and the player who were pivotal in their success are english.

This is a country that in the last 20 years has produced

Rooney
    Gerrard
    Terry
    Cole
    scholes
    Beckham
    neville
    owen
    shearer
    campbell
    ferdinand
    lampard etc

There is something there to say we do some things right.

There are certain england teams especially in the 2000's that just plain underachieved.

Muttley is right about the fact we need to change our way of thinking but that only puts us level with everyone else and if they produce better players where do we look then?

This big drama about the u21 is massive ott media nonsense. If Jordan Henderson had been trained in spain it wouldn't make him a World beater.
  • Options
    The old "we need to cahnge our Coaching structure to encourage passing" has been around for years........many, many years. Everyone believes this to be true and it has always been headlines. However, it won't happen for a long time, if it ever does. The reason we play the way we do is cultural and cultural changes take generations. We are stills a meat and potatoes footballing nation. Just as the "continentals" can't play our way, we can't play their way.
  • Options

If Jordan Henderson had been trained in spain it wouldn't make him a World beater.

Maybe read Muttley's post again?

• Options
    JEff stelling

"Glenn hoddle, what is wrong with our game ?"

GH

"Well Jeff, due to past atrocities committed in the name of god Harry and st George our beautiful game has reincarnated as 'shrek - the street striker' pieman Rooney.

Now Jeff would you like to lick me a I'm just about done myself"
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

If Jordan Henderson had been trained in spain it wouldn't make him a World beater.

Maybe read Muttley's post again?

I must be being thick, oggy. Are you saying Jordan Henderson is big and strong or can dribble round a whole team?
  • Options

The old "we need to cahnge our Coaching structure to encourage passing" has been around for years........many, many years. Everyone believes this to be true and it has always been headlines. However, it won't happen for a long time, if it ever does. The reason we play the way we do is cultural and cultural changes take generations. We are stills a meat and potatoes footballing nation. Just as the "continentals" can't play our way, we can't play their way.

Agree with this.

We can't expect to totally change the way we teach our kids or adults because our homegrown is nurtured to play English football. Fast/physical/end to end.

At International level the games are a lot tighter and hell of a lot slower. Breaking down teams patiently is something we aren't used to.

We can't fully expect our club players to train all week in preparation for the PL then have 3 days with England and completely change the style.

It's a difficult one...
  • Options
    What Hoddle says makes sense but it's odd how, after keeping his head down for 7 or so years after getting the sack from Wolves, he is suddenly the answer in certain parts of the media.

In terms of the bigger picture, we could also do with more qualified coaches. I can't remember the figures, but we have a very small number compared to the Italians, Germans, Spanish and other footballing nations.

No doubt we'll have the same inquest (and subsequent lack of action) after we either fail to qualify for the World Cup or disappoint in the tournament itself.

There is no doubt that we are on the slide, probably because the available player pool is shrinking. I agree with DiscoCAFC days about the 1996 team - I went to all those games and that team had quality and steel. Going back further to 1990, we had players like Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne and Linker. Let's hope Jack Wilshire stays fit.
  • Options

Agree with this.

We can't expect to totally change the way we teach our kids or adults because our homegrown is nurtured to play English football. Fast/physical/end to end.

At International level the games are a lot tighter and hell of a lot slower. Breaking down teams patiently is something we aren't used to.

We can't fully expect our club players to train all week in preparation for the PL then have 3 days with England and completely change the style.

It's a difficult one...
    But most of our prem club players are foreign and go back to their national teams and play passing football in 3 days.

Maybe it's not the clubs fault but inadequate international coaching staff.