Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smith, Azeez or Pigott?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know why Azeez did not play against Welling? Was he on the bench?
  • Options

Someone said on another thread that Azeez was spotted on the bench.

• Options

Pigott's improvement over the last year has been terrific, a real tribute to the work done by Nathan Jones &co, and also to the amount of hard work he must have done under their guidance. Looks to me to have all the makings of an all-round centre-forward, and not too far away either. Smith, on the other hand doesn't look to me like such a natural goal-scorer, but is deceptively skilful for such a big man, is a real workhorse, pulls defenders all over the place and puts over a wicked cross. These two have overshadowed Azeez a bit this season, and are probably now ahead of him in the pecking order. Important season coming up for him- he is probably the paciest of the 3. One thing's for sure, any kid with potential, we have the coaching staff to develop that talent.

a good write up Andy
  • Options

Someone said on another thread that Azeez was spotted on the bench.

The unused subs were Phillips, Feely, Osborne, Cousins, Jordan and Azeez.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130706-report-welling-united-charlton-898637.aspx?pd=635087264860000000
  • Options
    The Welling game made it very hard to compare Pigott with Smith. In the first half Joe was benefitting from an obvious plan to make his runs up front, and be picked out by Yann and others, resulting in a very well taken hat trick. In the second half Michael struggled without the same kind of support. My overwhelming feeling is ' if they are good enough, they are old enough '. Whatever we do, please do not offer us the sort of stuff we were forced to watch at home last season !
  • Options

Smith - 17 October 1991
    Pigott - 24 November 1993
    Azeez - 8 January 1994
    Sho-Silva - 27 March 1995

Dear god that's depressing! I'd started work before any of them were even born! I think my chances of being a pro footballer may just have passed me by :(

• Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about people saying 'yes Pigott scored for Bromley but the level is low'. In 2011-12 Dwight Gayle was playing at the same level, he stepped up to the championship and will play in the premier league next season.

Pigott seems to know where the goal is no matter what level he plays at.
  • Options
    It's hard to say who has the most potential. Smith is very much a target man like Kermorgant so not ideal to partner him but more of a back-up to him and Azeez being the pacy poacher who likes to get behind the defence.

I would say Smith & Azeez are ahead of Pigott in terms of experience and maybe current ability, but Pigott is the more complete striker he has more of a all-round game and his improvement is far more rapid, also say the same about Sho-Silva when Iv'e seen him for the academy.

Big Season for all 4 of the Development Squad strikers would like one of them at least to step up to the senior squad.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

The Welling game made it very hard to compare Pigott with Smith. In the first half Joe was benefitting from an obvious plan to make his runs up front, and be picked out by Yann and others, resulting in a very well taken hat trick. In the second half Michael struggled without the same kind of support. My overwhelming feeling is ' if they are good enough, they are old enough '. Whatever we do, please do not offer us the sort of stuff we were forced to watch at home last season !

Yes, absolutely. Strikers need support, and one of the reasons why we were so dismal at home last season is that we played 4-5-1. It's a canny formation that worked well for us away, but at The Valley the isolation of Kermo up front put pressure on the central midfield of Stephens and Pritchard, who were routinely brushed aside. I'm beginning to like what an earlier poster said on this thread - maybe it's the very rawness of Joe Pigott that, allied with his superb finishing skills, might cause considerable panic among the defences of Burnley and Barnsley.