Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smith, Azeez or Pigott?

In your opinion who has the most potential to make it in the first team?

From what I have seen which is not a great deal I think Smith shows the most potential.

Comments

• Options
    Copied from Piggott thread:

In order i would prefer them to try out:
    Azeez
    Piggott
    Smith

Only as i've heard more about Azeez and he is quick, just needs to work on his finishing. Don't really know enough about Joe Piggott other then a few mentions, but happy for us to give him a good run out and see how he gets on. Could save us a few bob trying one of the 3 above, although 2 big men up front isn't really ideal hency why i'd prefer a speedy striker to play with Yann.

Pretty sure Smith wont cut it really, although he has been there abouts cant see him making above league 1.... although i'd be happy for him to prove me wrong

• Options
    Smith
  • Options
    Michael Smith has had good reviews where he has gone out on loan, whereas the other two don't really have any real profile unless you watch the U21s regularly.
  • Options
    Sho-silva is the one who'll do the most imho.

Younger but has huge potential
  • Options

Sho-silva is the one who'll do the most imho.
    Younger but has huge potential

I would have said that before last Season but he has not kicked on. The one who has made the biggest improvement is Joe Pigott. The one nearest the first team is Michael Smith, who I have been very impressed with for the U21s. Ranked as ready for the first team I would say 1) Smith,2) Pigott, 3) Azeez, 4) Sho-Silva.

• Options
    Smith seemed very one footed. Pigott scored some good goals for Bromley but that is a low level. SInce then he seems to have scored more than Smith in the U21s.

Interesting on Sho-silva but I guess at that age they are a bit two steps forward, one step back.
  • Options
    I know a Newport season ticket holder and they very impressed with Smith last season.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I was quite impressed with Smith against orient in the league cup.
  • Options
    Good appraisal from Dick and Henry on this one
  • Options
    Smith is the first cab off the rank, and that allows CP to have a look at him before having to blood the others/make a decision. Hopefully Azeez and Pigott will go out on loan and get a bit of experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Smith seemed very one footed. Pigott scored some good goals for Bromley but that is a low level. SInce then he seems to have scored more than Smith in the U21s.

Interesting on Sho-silva but I guess at that age they are a bit two steps forward, one step back.

Yes Smith is very one footed, but he has good balance, is deceptively quick for a big man and he knows where the goal is. Joe Pigott needs to be playing in a higher league and hopefully he will. He can use either foot, is good in the air and is strong. I have followed his progress since he was playing U16 level but it has surprised me how much he has improved in a short space of time.

• Options
    I still think we might see Haynes come back willing to take a lesser contract when nothing better is offered by other clubs. Ditto Evina.

If so Kermo, Obika, Haynes, Smith with Azeez and Pigott out on loan to be recalled if needed might (have to) be enough.
  • Options
    What does Azeez need to improve on in order to make the step up?
  • Options

I still think we might see Haynes come back willing to take a lesser contract when nothing better is offered by other clubs. Ditto Evina.

If so Kermo, Obika, Haynes, Smith with Azeez and Pigott out on loan to be recalled if needed might (have to) be enough.

I hope so,as I really rate Haynes and Evina can do a good job. We will just have to wait and see what signings Powell is able to bring in. But we all know that we are Charlton Light at the moment, upfront.

• Options
    Think it's a risk waiting on Haynes and Evina. Securing them again might go down to the wire as the players hold out as do prospective clubs. Could leave us short and a bit eggy. If we source replacements I think we should forget those two.
  • Options

Risky, with Haynes dodgy hamstrings you'd realistically be looking at half the season with just Kermo and Obika as your senior strikers and relying on Smith and Azeez to be good enough to step up when needed. But as with everything the finances will dictate I suppose.

• Options
    Astounding development from Pigott last season, a player I had written off. Now I really believe he will have the best career out of the four mentioned.

Two years ago Sho Silva looked the best of the lot as he could also play out wide, but injuries held him back last season. If he gets back to two years ago, he is a part of our future.
  • Options
    Nathan Jones speaks very highly of Pigott, and he is just a born goalscorer, this time last year I rated Smith higher than Pigott, my opinion has reversed, he just has that knack of scoring, hope he can begin the process of transition to the 1st team this year.
  • Options
    I have not seen any of them, but are they not all different type of forwards? I thought that Smith was more in the mould of a target man and Azeez the speedy / nippy forward to play off him, Piggott a poacher? Sorry if those are totally wrong, just the impression I have picked up from scanning reports.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Would be happy to have Yann and Obika as first choice next season with Smith and Azeez as second choice. That's 2 lumps and 2 nippy little strikers. Would send Piggott out on loan to L1 with a recall clause for if he is ready for first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What are the ages of the 3? On my 1 experience of watching them (v Tonbridge in Kent Senior Cup Final) it was Smith they couldn't handle. However I have a feeling he is slightly older and more mature but that is guesswork.
  • Options
    Smith - 17 October 1991
    Pigott - 24 November 1993
    Azeez - 8 January 1994
    Sho-Silva - 27 March 1995
  • Options
    Smith is probably closest to the first team having proven himself at Football League level out on loan. He'll be 22 next season so needs to push on (less than a year younger than Solly), if he doesn't I can't see him winning a new contract.

Azeez went on loan to Wycombe and Orient, but mainly came off the bench. Didn't help that he picked up a couple of injuries.

From what I've heard Pigott did well at Bromley. Might seem a low level but in the past others have gone on loan in that division and not made much of an impact. Proving himself with Bromley should have helped his chances of getting a loan at a higher level.

With Sho-Silva stepping up to the U21s there won't be room for them all to play. Can't see any starting the season with the first team, I expect we'll sign at least 2 senior strikers and 1 or 2 will go out on loan.

Sometimes players just need an opportunity. Never know given a chance we might find one of them is just as much a goalscorer at Championship level as they have been for the u21s. Playing with better players might get the best out of them, look at Pritchard. He hasn't looked like a player that was playing non-league football a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Interesting points for us who don't get to see the U-21s - thanks for that useful info, Scoham.
  • Options
    Pigott's improvement over the last year has been terrific, a real tribute to the work done by Nathan Jones &co, and also to the amount of hard work he must have done under their guidance. Looks to me to have all the makings of an all-round centre-forward, and not too far away either. Smith, on the other hand doesn't look to me like such a natural goal-scorer, but is deceptively skilful for such a big man, is a real workhorse, pulls defenders all over the place and puts over a wicked cross. These two have overshadowed Azeez a bit this season, and are probably now ahead of him in the pecking order. Important season coming up for him- he is probably the paciest of the 3. One thing's for sure, any kid with potential, we have the coaching staff to develop that talent.
  • Options

Interesting points for us who don't get to see the U-21s - thanks for that useful info, Scoham.

• Options

Pigott's improvement over the last year has been terrific, a real tribute to the work done by Nathan Jones &co, and also to the amount of hard work he must have done under their guidance. Looks to me to have all the makings of an all-round centre-forward, and not too far away either. Smith, on the other hand doesn't look to me like such a natural goal-scorer, but is deceptively skilful for such a big man, is a real workhorse, pulls defenders all over the place and puts over a wicked cross. These two have overshadowed Azeez a bit this season, and are probably now ahead of him in the pecking order. Important season coming up for him- he is probably the paciest of the 3. One thing's for sure, any kid with potential, we have the coaching staff to develop that talent.

More insightful thoughts and info to add to Scoham's observations - thanks for that, Andy. They are evidently exciting prospects and I'm looking forward to seeing all three of them one way or another this season.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I think it is great when you have three candidates who could step up because it makes the odds of us finding somebody greater. It is difficult to know who that player/s will be though – the proof of the pudding has to be in the eating and those three have different strengths and weaknesses. One thing is for sure, we have three very promising young strikers, but fans want us to have the same cover for this position as last season - and want new signing – but if the coaches think they are ready, we don’t necessarily want to block their path to the first team. A difficult one.

Pace is a useful attribute - and I must admit that my gut feeling for who will make it is with Azeez.
  • Options
    bump for views on Pigott
  • Options

bump for views on Pigott

Because we dont have enough threads discussing it at the mo??