Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

big rob help needed

124»

Comments

• Stig said:

McBobbin said:

...Mrs is determined to get rid of it, so what would be the best way? She runs around the garden and it's right in the lawn, so not too easy to keep her away sadly, and she's too young to explain to her.

How old is your wife then, McBobbin?
    Very good. Just me being lazy with my explanation... It's my daughter who's too young
  • McBobbin said:

Thanks @BIG_ROB it's definitely bumblebees, the round fluffy, black-and-yellow with the white fluffy bum ones. Mrs is determined to get rid of it, so what would be the best way? She runs around the garden and it's right in the lawn, so not too easy to keep her away sadly, and she's too young to explain to her.

You can have a go at moving the nest yourself, wait till its dark and cover up well. Or give a local pest controller 40 quid and he'll provably kill it.....
  • Might do that cheers mate. It's basically a small hole in the ground, so I don't think I can move it without digging a crater!
  • edited July 2013
    Leave it - tell the wife she's being stupid. Nests very short-lived and it will likely have gone by end-July.
    Bumblebees thankfully are not at all aggressive and only rarely sting when handled roughly. They might get aggravated if you interfere with the nest itself, but not if you're just passing by. They don't swarm and certainly don't 'attack' like wasps or honey bees.
    As a species, they are also under threat - so just be rational, fence off the area temporarily and leave it alone.
    bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests
  • McBobbin said:

He just told you - contact the National Beekeepers Association, presumably, they'll keep them alive, rather than killing them, which is not good, considering their importance.

I thought that was only in relation to honeybees
    Oh I see, apologies.
  • McBobbin said:

He just told you - contact the National Beekeepers Association, presumably, they'll keep them alive, rather than killing them, which is not good, considering their importance.

I thought that was only in relation to honeybees
    Oh I see, apologies.
    No worries!
  • cafcfan said:

Leave it - tell the wife she's being stupid. Nests very short-lived and it will likely have gone by end-July.
    Bumblebees thankfully are not at all aggressive and only rarely sting when handled roughly. They might get aggravated if you interfere with the nest itself, but not if you're just passing by. They don't swarm and certainly don't 'attack' like wasps or honey bees.
    As a species, they are also under threat - so just be rational, fence off the area temporarily and leave it alone.
    bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests

That's what I'm currently thinking. Can easily fence it off
  • BTW, a puffed out brown paper bag hanging from a piece of string stops wasps from ruining al fresco dining. They still pitch up but just fly around the bag a bit, think it's a rival wasp nest and bugger off in case they are attacked.
  • cafcfan said:

BTW, a puffed out brown paper bag hanging from a piece of string stops wasps from ruining al fresco dining. They still pitch up but just fly around the bag a bit, think it's a rival wasp nest and bugger off in case they are attacked.

That's a brilliant trick!