Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leaburn hat-trick...

Comments

• Options
    What year was that, was there but only vaguely remember the game, seem to remember it being a nice day, decent turnout and drinking in the pub outside the station.
  • Options
    was at Villa when we won 2 v 1 and Carlo scored well given to him but huge deflection
  • Options
    I saw leaburns hatrick days after seeing bowyers, 2 trebles and 5 goals in 2 consecutive away games, the stuff of dreams
  • Options
    I was there. A beautiful day. I seem to remember that Carlo scored one from outside the box and that he set Linger up for a great volley. I also have hazy memories of Garland having one of his better games.
  • Options

I had been to more or less every home and away game for about three seasons and as I recall not seen a hat trick - and certainly not from Carlo! But had been lumbered with having to take our holiday then, so I missed it! Found out when I managed to get a newspaper the following day ( no Sky TV in Portugal then ). Half elated, half gutted...

Astonishing! I wasn't there at Portman Road, but I remember Leaburn at Newcastle at the end of a season in the late 80s when he actually scored in our 3-1 win. At the final whistle, all the Gallowgate End swarmed on to the pitch, going mad and swinging on the crossbar, because by dint of results elsewhere the Geordies had managed to stay up. Didn't Leaburn also shine in a 4-2 win at Highbury? Mind you, having watched all those games at Sell-Out Park under Lennie Lawrence, you wonder why he didn't put personal animosities aside and play Andy Jones up front instead....

4-2 at Highbury with Leaburn playing.............surely some mistake
    Strange, but true! We were 4-1 up, and it was a proper league game, not a cup. One of the Lifers out there will be able to specify the date...

• Options

I had been to more or less every home and away game for about three seasons and as I recall not seen a hat trick - and certainly not from Carlo! But had been lumbered with having to take our holiday then, so I missed it! Found out when I managed to get a newspaper the following day ( no Sky TV in Portugal then ). Half elated, half gutted...

Astonishing! I wasn't there at Portman Road, but I remember Leaburn at Newcastle at the end of a season in the late 80s when he actually scored in our 3-1 win. At the final whistle, all the Gallowgate End swarmed on to the pitch, going mad and swinging on the crossbar, because by dint of results elsewhere the Geordies had managed to stay up. Didn't Leaburn also shine in a 4-2 win at Highbury? Mind you, having watched all those games at Sell-Out Park under Lennie Lawrence, you wonder why he didn't put personal animosities aside and play Andy Jones up front instead....

Strange, but true! We were 4-1 up, and it was a proper league game, not a cup. One of the Lifers out there will be able to specify the date...

Pretty sure Leaburn didn't play in that game.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Surely one of us Lifers has got the facts to hand....

• Options
    When you look at that Arsenal team, it just looks even more shocking to think how we beat them.
  • Options
    our cup final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

You are quite right, Off_it; my mistake. See match report posted above.

• Options
    Also, sorry VF, we won 3-0 at St James Park: Crooks, Miller & Leaburn scoring (I think) their 1st goals for the club.
    Remember this game because after we were placed in the police vans to take us back to the station: Our car was parked behind the away end......
  • Options

Also, sorry VF, we won 3-0 at St James Park: Crooks, Miller & Leaburn scoring (I think) their 1st goals for the club.
    Remember this game because after we were placed in the police vans to take us back to the station: Our car was parked behind the away end......

Thanks for putting me right, MOG! (And sorry for confusing you with GrumpyAddick in a personal message to you recently.) Yes, my pal and I graciously accepted the same chauffeur service from the Old Bill - We were all kept in after the game as usual, but I had a quiet word with the copper on the gate: he slid it open for just the two of us and we were ferried back to the station in a hoolie-van all of our own! I recall it was a bank holiday weekend; my pal and I had driven up from London that glorious sunny morning and were supping good ale in the Bridge Inn overlooking the Tyne at 11 o'clock sharp. After the game we drove over the Pennines to look up an old pal for a boozy weekend in the Holts pubs of Manchester. Happy days - and we actually saw Leaburn score!

• Options
    I can't remember but did he score one up at bimingham when we won 3-4?
  • Options
    Only just found this thread. It was one of my best away days ever.

My mate Nick (an Ipswich fan) dad was Ipswich club doctor and managed to get us a place in the directors box.

I was the row in front of a good few Charlton players and staff and I'm sure I had a good chat with Garry Nelson but that could be the years catching up with me. Met Mick Mills, Mike Walker, John Wark and said hello to the late great Bobby Robson whilst having a piss :)

Top day out.
  • Options
    Was in a hotel in Dublin for the Ipswich game, went to Irish Greyhound Derby Final. Next morning one of the lads walked in an said Charlton won 5-1 Leaburn hatrick, rember laughing and going yes, ok,and the real score was !
  • Options

Was in a hotel in Dublin for the Ipswich game, went to Irish Greyhound Derby Final. Next morning one of the lads walked in an said Charlton won 5-1 Leaburn hatrick, rember laughing and going yes, ok,and the real score was !

I had a similar conversation with a non-Charlton supporting friend after the Lisbie hat-trick against Liverpool.

• Options

I can't remember but did he score one up at bimingham when we won 3-4?

Don't think he played
  • Options
    Did play and injured himself in scoring a diving header for our fourth
  • Options

21 years ago today, great memories, and whatever happened to Paul Linger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not much according to Wikipedia. About 50 appearances in total for us, orient and Brighton and then a career in non-league.

Ipswich match was the second consecutive away game in which we scored 5 if I recall correctly.

Bowyer announced his arrival in the 5-4 league cup victory over Wimbledon a few days beforehand.
  • Options
    nowadays our 1st and 2nd goals would have been disallowed because of fouls in the build up
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Not much according to Wikipedia. About 50 appearances in total for us, orient and Brighton and then a career in non-league.

Ipswich match was the second consecutive away game in which we scored 5 if I recall correctly.

Bowyer announced his arrival in the 5-4 league cup victory over Wimbledon a few days beforehand.
    Yeah you're right, lucky enough to go to both of them. Didn't realise Linger played that many times for us.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Think it might have been the 2-2 game.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Only just found this thread. It was one of my best away days ever.

My mate Nick (an Ipswich fan)
    dad was Ipswich club doctor and managed to get us a place in the directors box.

I was the row in front of a good few Charlton players and staff and I'm sure I had a good chat with Garry Nelson but that could be the years catching up with me. Met Mick Mills, Mike Walker, John Wark and said hello to the late great Bobby Robson whilst having a piss :)

Top day out.

Surname Bedford ?
  • Options
    Could have gone to this, my mum & dad went but I was 13 a decided to go round my mates house and play Mega Drive instead so I missed out on witnessing a bit of Charlton folklore.
  • Options

Must had been a day for going with your Dad although I was 40 at the time. Great memories!

I wasn't at Ipswich but the only other game I remember him scoring more than once in was oxford away which I attended...........with my dad. We won 4-0 if I remember but I can't recall who else scored.
  • Options
    Was there as a 12 year old with the old man. Text him about it today and he simply replied "Those were the days. Shame they've gone son."
  • Options
    I missed this one. Was at Dulwich Hamlet as my dad often took me down there on a Saturday if we were away and not going and Dulwich were at home. Couldn't believe it when I heard