Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leaburn hat-trick...

Just thought I would go back to when I was a kid and recall a great away day at Portman Road with the old man. I was there and I did see Leaburn score a hat-trick. Who else can stand up and say I was there? 5-1 victory away from home has to be a great day!

Comments

• Options
    Exactly the same memory for me cruicky!

Me and my dad were shell-shocked!
  • Options
    Wasn't there but walked past him about 20 minutes ago outside Barclays Building in C/W.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It was a great week with Bowyer scoring a hat-trick at Sellout during the week against Wimbledon. Was at both.
  • Options
    i was there one was a pen only surprised he didnt head that in
  • Options
    I was there. Their keeper was injured and they had no keeper on the bench.

Paul Linger scored a screamer. Only goal he ever got for us.
  • Options
    Sadly wasn't there but remember hearing the unbelievable news and staying up (rather than setting the video recorder) to watch Endsleigh League Extra (as I think it was at the time), just to make sure it'd definitely happened.
  • Options
    I was there for that one :)
  • Options
    Must had been a day for going with your Dad although I was 40 at the time. Great memories!
  • Options
    I was there (with Large) and also at Sellout for bowyers hat-trick too...........which was the better of the 2 !!
  • Options
    Was supposed to go with my Dad (I was about 8 I think) but couldn't make it on time and ended up watching Millwall vs Sunderland instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there. Couldn't believe it and thought I had too much Greene King IPA before the game. Remember shouting out for him to take the penalty with his head!!!!
  • Options
    I was there, amazing day. Most amazing thing actually was my dad's mate. When Phil Chappel came back on the pitch with his head bandaged my dad's mate predicted a 5-1 victory with Chappel scoring first. His logic was that the last time Chappel had gone off injured and returned with his head bandaged was the 5-1 home victory over Peterboro where Chappel had also scored the first goal.

If only in play betting had existed back then!
  • Options
    I was there. Lingers goal was world class. The offey we found accepted my fake christ the king id..few bottles of k and tnt were sunk before hand.
  • Options
    I was there! With my dad and brother. For some reason we were in the family enclosure, but didn't stop us celebrating. Lleeeeeeeeaaaaaabbbuuurrrrnnn!
  • Options
    God bless big Carl-I was lucky enough to be at both of those games that week, 10 goals and two hat tricks in a few days, happy happy days. Although they fell a bit short, we had a good team that season.
  • Options
    I was there. Had the added pleasure of popping round to see the mother-in-law after the game. She supported Ipswich...
  • Options
    I had been to more or less every home and away game for about three seasons and as I recall not seen a hat trick - and certainly not from Carlo! But had been lumbered with having to take our holiday then, so I missed it! Found out when I managed to get a newspaper the following day ( no Sky TV in Portugal then ). Half elated, half gutted...
  • Options

I had been to more or less every home and away game for about three seasons and as I recall not seen a hat trick - and certainly not from Carlo! But had been lumbered with having to take our holiday then, so I missed it! Found out when I managed to get a newspaper the following day ( no Sky TV in Portugal then ). Half elated, half gutted...

Astonishing! I wasn't there at Portman Road, but I remember Leaburn at Newcastle at the end of a season in the late 80s when he actually scored in our 3-1 win. At the final whistle, all the Gallowgate End swarmed on to the pitch, going mad and swinging on the crossbar, because by dint of results elsewhere the Geordies had managed to stay up. Didn't Leaburn also shine in a 4-2 win at Highbury? Mind you, having watched all those games at Sell-Out Park under Lennie Lawrence, you wonder why he didn't put personal animosities aside and play Andy Jones up front instead....

• Options
    Me and my dad were there, was great to see bambi score too
  • Options
    I was there too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It was a great week with Bowyer scoring a hat-trick at Sellout during the week against Wimbledon. Was at both.

Ditto , couldn't remember them both being in the same week, wowser.
  • Options
    I'm sure I also went to I think it was Oxford United away when he scored 2 and we got a penalty, but I can't remember whether he took it and missed it or turned down the chance to take it?
  • Options
    I was there, great away performance
  • Options
    I was there! Was convinced he was gojng to miss the penno and when it went in I celebrated as if we'd got promoted! Great days...
  • Options
    I was there.....well, for the first half. My younger sister was feeling ill, so at half time we left, and drove back to my aunts in Bury St Edmunds about 40 minutes away. By the time we walked into the house everybody were saying wow what a game etc We didnt know the score so it was a complet shock to us, and I can assume you, I wanted to kill my sisiter!!
  • Options
    cafckev said:

I was there.....well, for the first half. My younger sister was feeling ill, so at half time we left, and drove back to my aunts in Bury St Edmunds about 40 minutes away. By the time we walked into the house everybody were saying wow what a game etc We didnt know the score so it was a complet shock to us, and I can assume you, I wanted to kill my sisiter!!

Weren't we 1-0 down at half time as well? What a sickener!
  • Options
    So with my luck, i only missed 4 Leaburn goals.....these three and his "deflected goal" at Blackburn.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

So with my luck, i only missed 4 Leaburn goals.....these three and his "deflected goal" at Blackburn.</blockquote

In a game against Oxford United when we were lodging at Sell-Out Park, a corner came over: fizzing, sharp and accurate, and Leaburn was all on his own in the six-yard box. He just had to stand there, and it would have ricocheted into the net. Leaburn is six-feet-three; he didn't even have to jump - and he ducked. The corner went out for a throw-in, and the whole of the Holmesdale End erupted in laughter - and this was us, laughing at our own "striker". Lennie Lawrence had bought Andy Jones, who had scored thirty goals a season for Rhyl, then thirty in each of two seasons for Port Vale: he couldn't stop scoring. But because Jones said he had ambitions to play for West Ham, Lennie took personal offence and banished him to the reserves for ever. Utter madness. Jones was a natural, gifted striker. Meanwhile, Leaburn played like Bambi on ice and we lost 4-1, 4-0, and got relegated...

• Options
    I was there!! The only away game I ever went to on my own!!! Hat-trick with his feet as well!!
  • Options

Astonishing! I wasn't there at Portman Road, but I remember Leaburn at Newcastle at the end of a season in the late 80s when he actually scored in our 3-1 win. At the final whistle, all the Gallowgate End swarmed on to the pitch, going mad and swinging on the crossbar, because by dint of results elsewhere the Geordies had managed to stay up. Didn't Leaburn also shine in a 4-2 win at Highbury? Mind you, having watched all those games at Sell-Out Park under Lennie Lawrence, you wonder why he didn't put personal animosities aside and play Andy Jones up front instead....

4-2 at Highbury with Leaburn playing.............surely some mistake