Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your worst pub on an away day

Mr Rock Spectable mentioned a while back that he was trying to find the worst pub in League One and that got me thinking. If you do read this, then let us know as you're far better travelled than most!

My nomination goes to The Swan in Huddersfield. Having left the cosy conclaves of the bar in the station, I was dragged by a fellow forum member out in to the freezing cold and driving rain to try and find a 'proper' pub.

This then involved three of us walking into a run down, pretty much no carpeted slum where you got stared at upon entrance and stuck to the seats. Admittedly it did have a pool table, but the cheap price of games I suspect was made up for by the bar staff's southerner tax on beverages.

To top it off, using the toilet I closed the door to find in large letters two scrawls of incredibly racist slogans, to the point of violence inciting. I could repeat them but I would probably get banned. We left fairly soon after.

Your worst? I'm guessing the 60s, 70s and 80s were a completely different ball game.

Comments

• Options
    There's another pub in Hussersfield that's absolutely shocking, can't remember it's name (the Globe maybe?).

The Sportsman or something near Tranmeres ground must be up there, dire.

Stadium Bar outside Ibrox can be a bit scary.

There's 2 or 3 around Gillingham's ground which are all ropey.
  • Options
    The one we went to in Yeovil(Monsoon game) by the station was terrible only saved by the fact it had a decent jukebox but as i was the only one that likes Slayer/Metallica/Mastodon i was outvoted and we moved on.

• Options
    The Queens at West Ham! I know we speak of Jeremy Kyle and the spanners, but that place would fill up a good dozen series in its' own right!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There's a pub in Wolves with an outdoor toilet which was pretty grim. All weatherspoons are pretty poor but the one in Romford is so bad that it deserves to be on a list like this.
  • Options

The one we went to in Yeovil(Monsoon game) by the station was terrible only saved by the fact it had a decent jukebox but as i was the only one that likes Slayer/Metallica/Mastodon i was outvoted and we moved on.

As soon as I read the first post I thought of this place!
  • Options
    The worst I ever went to was in Dewsbury whilst we were on route back to Leeds.We always tried to avoid the crowds by staying away from the town we played in.

I forget the name of the pub but will never forget this story,it reminded me of Steve Coogan's Paul Calf character.

The landlady was vacuming in one corner,whilst there was a Wedding reception going on.We politely said we would move on when the Land Lord assured us that it was okay to go in.

As the Groom got up to make his speech a toddler shouted 'He's a w.....r' to which his mum clipped him around the ear and said 'Where did you f.....g learn to speak like that'.You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Was the one near Yeovil Junction called The Royal Oak? You turn left at the bottom of the station and walk for a while. That was League of Gentlemen-esque.
  • Options

There's a pub in Wolves with an outdoor toilet which was pretty grim.

I felt like I was in an outdoor toilet during my entire visit to Wolverhampton. Can't remember what pubs we went in but they were all awful.
  • Options
    That's The Posada in Wolverhampton, once saw home fans fighting each other. The Market Tavern in Huddersfield was hysterically vile (monster mash on the jukebox so appropriate) whilst The Trap Inn in Oldham words fail me. Still we have the joys of the Moto Moto bar near Bournemouth. Only place ever Captain and me left without finishing our beer. Nuff said!
  • Options
    We went in one before the Birmingham away game last season. To say we were outnumbered by angry looking brummies who looked like they hadn't cracked a smile in a few years is an understatement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sky Blue Tavern Coventry. Carpet was like glue.
  • Options
    I always pick good pubs
  • Options
    Oh yeah that was awful, plastic glasses and filthy beer, charged a pound to get in too! Not dissimilar to The Cap and Gown at Villa.
  • Options
    next season might have to try and find the one previously mentioned in yeovil.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The Queens at West Ham! I know we speak of Jeremy Kyle and the spanners, but that place would fill up a good dozen series in its' own right!!

No way, the Barncote at the rusty toolbox is far worse.
  • Options
    Royal Oak in Yeovil spot on, got stuck in there for 3 hours waiting on a connecting train to Devon. Totally Royston Vasey, thankfully had no wife or gold with me - just Pete!
  • Options

Royal Oak in Yeovil spot on, got stuck in there for 3 hours waiting on a connecting train to Devon. Totally Royston Vasey, thankfully had no wife or gold with me - just Pete!

That's not fair, Pete is always good for a comedy gold moment.
  • Options
    Rochdale away 2011, pub yards from the station boarded up windows and seats with slash marks in, still had fun in there as it was packed full of Charlton singing etc, and the lager was £1.50 a pint, come to think of it this might be the best pub I've been in at Football.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The grotty pubs are the best and the most character about them. Better than the slug and lettuces of this world.

The Victoria on the Woolwich Road and The Nicholas Nickelby in Manchester are two good examples of being grotty but with plenty of character and characters. Sadly both gone.
  • Options
    I don't mind old tired looking pubs to be honest.
    Worst last season was Ipswich, the pub which all the Charlton fans were in was boring, no Sky for the early KO and very flat lager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Continental Fun Bar (in a park in Coventry...late 80's) would take some beating.
  • Options

We kept missing trains home so ended up in there, @Stewart marched in with a crate of Carling over his shoulder.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

We kept missing trains home so ended up in there, @Stewart marched in with a crate of Carling over his shoulder.
    Totally unrelated to the topic but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank RedPanda for his picture of the laughing red panda the other week. I've now got him as a screen-saver.

Back to topic....other awful pubs. Need some help on this one....within five mins walk of Anfield...come out of away end and turn left.....in a street with terraced housing and no front gardens....window-less bar....red lino floor....no draught beer....almost 100% Liverpool support with very few away fans. I guess that's narrowed it down to about 50 possible pubs!! Hit me with some names....

• Options
    Simonsen said:

RedPanda said:

Totally unrelated to the topic but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank RedPanda for his picture of the laughing red panda the other week. I've now got him as a screen-saver.

Back to topic....other awful pubs. Need some help on this one....within five mins walk of Anfield...come out of away end and turn left.....in a street with terraced housing and no front gardens....window-less bar....red lino floor....no draught beer....almost 100% Liverpool support with very few away fans. I guess that's narrowed it down to about 50 possible pubs!! Hit me with some names....

Barry.

Kevin.

Tarquin.

Any of those?
  • Options
    I remember going to one near highfield road the day of the 2-2 when JJ scored and the barmaid looked like giant haystacks . They had no whiskey and no vodka. In fact when I asked for a scotch and coke she thought I'd asked for a Scottish coke?
  • Options
    The coventry one was the worst but then summed up a dire city in one pub

SHITHOLE was made for there
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Simonsen said:

RedPanda said:

Barry.

Kevin.

Tarquin.

Any of those?
    No I don't believe so. I can't imagine anything's called Tarquin in Liverpool.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

RedPanda said:

Heh, I can't remember what picture that was but you're very welcome!

• Options

Rochdale away 2011, pub yards from the station boarded up windows and seats with slash marks in, still had fun in there as it was packed full of Charlton singing etc, and the lager was £1.50 a pint, come to think of it this might be the best pub I've been in at Football.

This
  • Options
    The year we got the free coach to Port Vale I went into the grimmest pub in the known universe in Burslem. It was like a cross between something out of Deliverance and Trainspotting. The only thing that saved my life was that I was with my girlfriend (soon to become my wife, now my ex-wife) and I don't think 95% of the patrons had seen a woman before. Necked the pint of piss-poor chemical soup that passed for lager and got the fuck outta dodge.