Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Cup Run?

Been a Charlton supporter all of my Life and we haven't (In my time) ever gone very far in the cup, I cant help but think It would be quite good and exciting to have a cup run.

I went to watch the Charlton V Huddersfield Game in the FA Cup, We were useless, I know we put out a second team in a way but, We were terrible.

I think back to when palace had their Cup run and Beat Manchester United in the Quarter-Finals, I have always thought that even to make it to the quarters would be exciting.

And we were the only Championship South-London team not to go to Wembley this year.

Is it worth having a go, Or Do I just forget about any hope of having a go at the cup.

However, I would love to have a good draw for the Capital One Cup, Have Manchester City at Home in the first round... I can hope?

Comments

• Options
    Shouldn't this post be in the Jokes section.
  • Options

Shouldn't this post be in the Jokes section.

Probably, But I would still like one.
  • Options
    I remember three cup "runs" and two of them we should've ended up at Wembley. When we lost to Wycombe and Operation Riverside. Man U away was a bonus day.
  • Options
    And when we lost to 10 man Bolton.
  • Options
    Ah yes, beam back game.

Complete myth we're rubbish in the cup...
  • Options

Bolton Qf was à chance in 2000. We would of beat villa in the semi final i am certain of it.
  • Options
    I'd be happy to get a premier league team and not get beat 3 or 4 nil like we have in recent years, regardless of how well we might have played.
  • Options

I'd be happy to get a premier league team and not get beat 3 or 4 nil like we have in recent years, regardless of how well we might have played.

I completely agree, I would love to draw someone big in the first round, Even if we didn't win, It would just be amazing :)

• Options
    How old are you if you've never seen us have a decent cup run? We've had a few in the last 20 years or so.
  • Options
    The bolton game still gets me. The run we was on at the time I would have fancied as at Wembley against Villa in the SF.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The bolton game still gets me. The run we was on at the time I would have fancied as at Wembley against Villa in the SF.

Me too. Interesting how people are getting excited about a semi-final at Wembley, Villa Park wouldn't have the same buzz.

We are rubbish in the cup though, eliminated at the first hurdle in both competitions last season.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    A cup run is semi finals or beyond as many have said before quite sickening how all those years in the premier we never mustered one . We are quite unique
  • Options
    nolly said:

A cup run is semi finals or beyond as many have said before quite sickening how all those years in the premier we never mustered one . We are quite unique

In recent times we have not mustered a shot never mind a cup run.

• Options
    nolly said:

Let it go.
  • Options
    Knowing Charlton it will happen when we least expect it.
  • Options
    sm said:

Funny you should say that, I've got a good feeling we going to have a good cup run next season ( and I don't mean just getting to the 2nd round).

I think with Millwall having a nice day in the sun and Palace the playoff final in the same season it will spur our manager and players on in the pursuit of wanting a taste of glory, just make sure you keep the FA cup and League Cup final dates clear next season, you have been warned!
  • Options
    sm said:

That's what I keep telling myself every year.
  • Options
    sm said:

As we don't expect it any year we might have to change it to happen when we expect it most.

• Options

How old are you if you've never seen us have a decent cup run? We've had a few in the last 20 years or so.

Only 16, So tbh I have never seen one, That I can remember well.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Charltons Cup runs are like rocking horse shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol the second round is a cup run for us
  • Options
    I gave up believing we could reach a cup semi-final years ago. Changing teams and managers over the past 30 years and yet every year we lose to pony opposition. Concentrating on the league again next year.
  • Options
    Don't worry, the year ending in fourty............(6,7) is getting closer all the time.
  • Options
    A Charlton Cup run, you wish for, POSLCAFC? Ha-ha! I'm still trying to rid my mind of Dagenham & Redbridge, and Gillingham, when were in the Prem! And Northwich Victoria! Jesus Christ Almighty. They were 86 places below us in the pyramid, and somehow we contrived to lose to a goal by an 18-year-old part-time barman - and it was live to the nation on terrestrial telly!

I applaud your breezy optimism, POSLCAFC. Well, at least we aren't eligible for the Johnstone's Piss-Pot this year. Do any of our older Lifers remember the FA Cup in 1980-81? - We were in the old Third Division, so started early - I was there in that municipal athletics stadium at Harlow, won 2-0, (without googling, someone will fill in the gaps); won 2-1 at Fulham in the fourth round, then away at Ipswich, who were top of the proper first division, went down heroically, 2-0....

Ah, happy days. A Cup run! Ha-ha!

• Options
    I think I've been to every home and a good number of away FA Cup matches in my 52 years of supporting the Addicks but I'm going to give it a wide berth next season.
  • Options

I think I've been to every home and a good number of away FA Cup matches in my 52 years of supporting the Addicks but I'm going to give it a wide berth next season.

Good, your obviously a jinx ;-)
  • Options

A Charlton Cup run, you wish for, POSLCAFC? Ha-ha! I'm still trying to rid my mind of Dagenham & Redbridge, and Gillingham, when were in the Prem! And Northwich Victoria! Jesus Christ Almighty. They were 86 places below us in the pyramid, and somehow we contrived to lose to a goal by an 18-year-old part-time barman - and it was live to the nation on terrestrial telly!

I applaud your breezy optimism, POSLCAFC. Well, at least we aren't eligible for the Johnstone's Piss-Pot this year. Do any of our older Lifers remember the FA Cup in 1980-81? - We were in the old Third Division, so started early - I was there in that municipal athletics stadium at Harlow, won 2-0, (without googling, someone will fill in the gaps); won 2-1 at Fulham in the fourth round, then away at Ipswich, who were top of the proper first division, went down heroically, 2-0....

Ah, happy days. A Cup run! Ha-ha!

Ahaha, I can only hope, If Im honest, Id rather just Get Manchester City in the first round and get beat, Even just to see a big team At the Valley would be nice :)
  • Options

Fantastic,I'm telling ya I can feel it in my water, we are destined for cup glory next season, get behind the boys and make some noise.

• Options

• Options
    It annoys me too but at least I know that we only have four more years to wait until we get to the FA Cup Final.