Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Pitch

124»

Comments

• Yes I saw that, also it helped Kirkland when he got something on Chrurch's cross in the second half - on a decent pitch the ball would have bounced and possibly gone to Yann to tap in, but yesterday it died flat in the ground and Kirkland was able to claim it.

Yes indeed, and I don't think it's a level playing-field, if you'll excuse the bad pun. Our pudding of a pitch is going to favour teams who are physically stronger and more mobile than we are - which means most of the other teams in this division.

• edited December 2013
    It will get better in March and April as the wheather improves. It needs sorting for next season though! Shame we are at home in the cup - it really needs a rest! The pitch looked a lot worse yesterday than how we left it on boxing day and you have to wonder whether the emergency drainage work that was done to get th egame on was wise in the long run!
  • Try not to be critical of the club in general as obviously money is tight beyond belief, but there is no excuse for a club at any professional level to have a pitch like that and for a Championship club with Premier League Stadium it's pretty much a disgrace. As others have said seen better pitches at the local park.
  • The reason for the tyre tracks was because it was a case of using the tractor to clear the water off of the pitch or the game qould have been 100% called off.
    As someone has already said, the drains under the pitch keep getting blocked, this maybe because of a coolapse, but the club are so short of cash, nothing can be done at the moment.
    Also, if the rain continues, there is a strong possibilty of the cup game being called off too.
  • As Shirty said. Heavy rain forecast for 3 out the next 4 days. Unless we have "magiced" some covers from somewhere, there no hope and Bob Hope of Saturday's game being played.
  • surely we must be able to buy/acquire some sheeting to lay over the top and then Paddy just needs to sweep off any casual water when needsbe. Can't be that expensive and surely there must be a local cricket club able to help...........Jeez, we are only about 5 miles from the Oval !!
  • As Shirty said. Heavy rain forecast for 3 out the next 4 days. Unless we have "magiced" some covers from somewhere, there no hope and Bob Hope of Saturday's game being played.

And the Welling v Braintree game will be fine.
  • The pitch was just so dead in a lot of places. The ball just didn't bounce, it must be saturated underneath. I'm not sure that sweeping of the surface water would help. I agree with what a number of people are saying is that looking at the weather forecast this week, a postponement is well on the cards.
  • Really hope it's called off as I can't make Saturday
  • edited December 2013
    If the drains keep getting blocked surely we just pour a bucket load of mr muscle down it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any sign of Pimlico Plumbers down there ? hopefully got enough money to get that boiler up and running this year .
  • clive said:
    That's actually quite interesting, I can't remember the last time it wasn't completely relaid.
  • clive said:
    That's actually quite interesting, I can't remember the last time it wasn't completely relaid.
    sounds a logical argument not to completely re-lay
  • stonemuse said:

clive said:
    Logical and cheaper.
  • Redrobo said:

stonemuse said:

clive said:
    Logical and cheaper.
    It's hard not to wonder if taking the cheaper option (with us in limbo at the moment between owners) was also a major factor...
  • Redrobo said:

stonemuse said:

clive said:
    Logical and cheaper.
    It's hard not to wonder if taking the cheaper option (with us in limbo at the moment between owners) was also a major factor...
    I'm happy to slag off the owner and his lapdogs every opportunity we get, but in this instance I think we'll just have to trust the groundstaff. The argument sounds reasonable enough.
  • There was major work done after RD bought the club which should mean they don't need to completely tear it up every off season. You could see this year how good a condition the pitch was in even at the very end of the season.
  • was Mavididi there to help with the mowing....
  • was Mavididi there to help with the mowing....

Let’s hope it does a nice as job with the lines as he did on TL’s garden