Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Pitch

Comments

• Options

apologise if it is a whoosh moment and you were joking :P

Yes I was joking as you say people moan about anything and everything on here.
  • Options
    To be fair - there were a couple of games played in abnormally wet conditions and these probably did a lot of damage to the pitch. If we are a bit more fortunate weather wise next season, things might not be quite as bad.
  • Options
    The pitch today !
  • Options
    Damn the pitch is looking good. We might need another excuse!
  • Options
    You could actually play football on that...
  • Options
    SWCorner said:

The pitch today !

• Options
    Why have the lines moved diagonally? I prefer them straight. Please re-do it.
  • Options

To be fair - there were a couple of games played in abnormally wet conditions and these probably did a lot of damage to the pitch. If we are a bit more fortunate weather wise next season, things might not be quite as bad.

We were taught a lesson by Forest when the pitch was its worst. Their fluent play - back to front and side to side - was planets above us.

• Options
    RZA said:

Why have the lines moved diagonally? I prefer them straight. Please re-do it.

encourages growth

• Sponsored links:

• Options

It's getting relayed this year.

Perhaps Baton are doing it?

• Options
  • Options
    Looked really good today
  • Options

By Xmas the pitch will be dire again. Just reseeding isn't the answer.

Hmmmmmm.
    It's disgusting that the penny pinching board don't respect the fans enough, that they spend the cash to provide a decent playing surface so these paying customers can enjoy watching a game of football.

• Options
    Who drove a fookin tractor up and down the pitch before kick off ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I know it was shocking, but Is the pitch as bad, or worse than it was this time a year ago?

And it hasn't even snowed yet, surely we're knackered with it for the season?
  • Options
    Think in the summer we need to rip it up and re-turfto see if that sorts the problem out. In previous years before last we never got this problem as bad.
  • Options

Think in the summer we need to rip it up and re-turfto see if that sorts the problem out. In previous years before last we never got this problem as bad.

We did that last summer. Obviously it hasn't worked.
  • Options
    RZA said:

In case anyone has forgotten what it should look like

• Options
    Is there a Football League rule with regard to condition of pitches? Genuine question.
    It is the ref's decision to inspect the pitch and give the go ahead immediately prior to the game, but say we had three consecutive home fixtures called off when every other team were playing could the FL fine or even deduct points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was told yesterday that the cause of the pitch problem is most likely a collapsed drain under the pitch itself, water just itself draining away as it should leaving the pitch looking like it did yesterday.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The weather forecast up to and including saturday is heavy rain for today, tuesday, wednesday and saturday. Light rain on friday.

Not looking promising for the cup game
  • Options
    Apparently the problem is caused by the water that accumulates in the West Stand car park and due to the angle it runs down onto the pitch. The club does not have the money to sort it out.
  • Options
    Greenster said:

Apparently the problem is caused by the water that accumulates in the West Stand car park and due to the angle it runs down onto the pitch. The club does not have the money to sort it out.

Doesn't the water from the West Stand car park just go into the potholes?
  • Options
    The funny thing is that when higher teams play lower teams in the Cup, they usually have the problem of a tricky pitch in the away match. This time, we'll be the ones with the bad pitch!
  • Options
    After seeing that pitch, and having seen Saracens playing on an artificial pitch over the past year or so I'm definitely definitely championing the idea of moving to artificial turf. Not only would we have a top quality playing surface week in, week out it would also save us money in the long run.

Does anyone know what the laws are in English football with regards to using artificial turf?
  • Options

After seeing that pitch, and having seen Saracens playing on an artificial pitch over the past year or so I'm definitely definitely championing the idea of moving to artificial turf. Not only would we have a top quality playing surface week in, week out it would also save us money in the long run.

Does anyone know what the laws are in English football with regards to using artificial turf?

Currently banned and a vote by all the teams last year was a strong no to allowing them.

• Options
    Football is run by dinosaurs unfortunately. It amazes me that football at all levels isn’t played on 4G. I was against artificial pitches in the 80s when they played so differently to grass, but a 4G pitch plays like a good grass pitch. Certainly more close to one than our current pitch is playing at the very least. The technology has moved us to a point where it should now be a no brainer. Added to that, the finance generating possibilities for clubs that in nearly all cases are finding things tough would be a godsend.
  • Options

Football is run by dinosaurs unfortunately. It amazes me that football at all levels isn’t played on 4G. I was against artificial pitches in the 80s when they played so differently to grass, but a 4G pitch plays like a good grass pitch. Certainly more close to one than our current pitch is playing at the very least. The technology has moved us to a point where it should now be a no brainer. Added to that, the finance generating possibilities for clubs that in nearly all cases are finding things tough would be a godsend.

Maidstone United's 4G pitch played OK when our U-21s visited for a friendly last July. As you say, the technology has advanced a long way from the nylon carpet at Loftus Road in the 80s. Did you see the Wendies' goalkeeping coach attempting to bounce the ball in the penalty area at half time? - Even thrown to the ground with force, the ball just died. Our pitch is an insult to the players and supporters.

• Options
    Yes I saw that, also it helped Kirkland when he got something on Chrurch's cross in the second half - on a decent pitch the ball would have bounced and possibly gone to Yann to tap in, but yesterday it died flat in the ground and Kirkland was able to claim it.