Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Atmosphere .......or rather lack of it

I wont pretend to be a regular follower of the National side but have attended a few games over the years. I went to the Ukraine game last September and was hugely disappointed by the atmosphere. Gone is throaty cry of Engerrrland Engerrrland, Englerrrrland, or Rule Britannia , or even England to I die. It seemingly has been replaced by the SW band who play inane ditty's for what feels like ages whilst the crowd sit and clap like we were at a garden party. What made it worse was that any time the crowd made an attempt to sing unaccompanied the band drowned them out.

Its particularly noticeable for me tonight as the Irish fans are trying the rather novel approach of .......singing football songs , very loudly

Comments

• During the first half the Irish fans were singing your supposed to be at home which says it all
  • I hate that Sheffield Wednesday trumpet.
  • The band drive me mad. Wembley national atmospheres are notoriously shit.

Can't beat the English crowd at a major tournament though.
  • How many are going to brazil on Sunday???
  • Invite Russ Abbot
  • Band the ban.
  • How many are going to brazil on Sunday???

800+ were sold.
  • Perhaps the fact the FA told the fans what they weren't allowed to sing may have dampened spirits.
  • Wembley is just a big bowl of corporate turd.
  • The only England game I've been to that's had a great atmosphere at the new wembley is England v Croatia in 2009, the 5-1. Was a lot at stake so tons of singing...

Friendlies tend to have just day trippers and the atmosphere is flat normally due to the poor football on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2013
    I think English people tend to place supporting club over country far more, and to a greater degree, than most other countries. When you're so invested in club loyalties it's difficult to put then to one side, even for the sake of the national team. This is even more so since the introduction of Skybkoney has meant, financially at least, the success of your club is the be all and end all. It also doesn't help that since the early '90s when this money arrived, bar a couple of moments the England team has been pretty poor.
  • From what I got on TV I always thought the new wembley lacked atmosphere. Then when t wells went and played there almost a month ago the atmosphere was fantastic, despite there only being a crowd of 16,000.
  • The new Wembley is a dreadful stadium for atmosphere. Even in cup finals it seems to be absolutely dead.

It doesn't help that half the crowd are about a mile from the pitch and therefore are mostly sat down, waiting for something to happen.

England at the old Wembley was much better. Infact everything at the old Wembley was much better.
  • Never went for a piss there then Tom? #rosetintedspecs
  • Band the ban.

This
  • An end of season friendly will always attract a different crowd, you could tell it wasn't the usual England supporters there as the Irish anthem wasn't booed!
  • The Irish made it for me last night. First game I've seen at the new Wembley. I'm not too bothered by the national team and they were their usual selves. Would have been hard work sitting there for 90mins had it been against Moldova or Serbia.
  • Wembley is just a big bowl of corporate turd.

This. England games were far better when Wembley was being rebuilt and we travelled all round the country playing games.
  • The acoustics at the new ground are incredible. Loads of noise can and have been made there, the issue is with who goes.
  • Wembley isn't that bad, as away teams show when they bring decent numbers, be it the Ireland, Egypt or Germany.

Ban the Band, and it'll get better.
  • Sponsored links:

• The acoustics at the new ground are incredible. Loads of noise can and have been made there, the issue is with who goes.

Thought the Germans made good noise on Saturday

This.

Lets wait till Charlton get there before we all decide :/
  • se9addick said:

The acoustics at the new ground are incredible. Loads of noise can and have been made there, the issue is with who goes.

Thought the Germans made good noise on Saturday
    Exactly.
  • shirty5 said:

Invite Russ Abbot

too good a remark to go unappreciated

• as with John Belushi grabbing that bloke's guitar and smashing it to pieces in National Lampoons Animal House, someone needs to grab that trumpet.
  • shirty5 said:

Invite Russ Abbot

Better still, invite Ted Chippington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQMILoSAibU

This.

Lets wait till Charlton get there before we all decide :/
    We will all be dead !
  • Carling Cup finalists within the next 3 seasons.
  • The band are a bit of a joke really.
    Playing all kinds of poxy tunes many with no relevance to our great nation or it's elite footballers.

• lolwray said:

shirty5 said:

Invite Russ Abbot

too good a remark to go unappreciated

This