Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

our national anthem

I hate our national anthem, it's such a dirge and in my opinion nothing to play for?

what about you guys and girls, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Listen to Benjamin brittans version. Much much better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    We don't have our own national anthem, we borrow GB's for the football.
  • Options
    Most people want England to have our own national anthem that's not God Save The Queen. But they won't through fear of offending the royal family.
  • Options
    It is what it is.
  • Options
    I am very patriotic, I love our country and our Royal Family and all our wonderful history which is the envy of many countries, but our national anthem is not the greatest.
    Having experienced it at The Royal Tournament with the Queen in attendance and with the longest, loudest drum introduction I ever heard, it can be brilliant but too often it is outdone at sporting occasions by far more rousing, passionate efforts from various opposition teams.
    It started in what was then the Five Nations when first Scotland opted to have Flower of Scotland rather than share GSTQ with England and then Wales followed.
    Jerusalem is certainly a stirring one but is it truly representative of today's England?
    Personally I think the French N.A is the best, but then you only get something as passionate as that in a Republic and I don't want to pay that price.
  • Options
    Beautiful Riviera
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nolly said:

Beautiful Riviera

Gee shucks.........(coy face)
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    My wife likes it
  • Options
    It's a dirge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOve it
  • Options
    Think ours is one of the best, I sing it loud and proud.
  • Options
    A National Anthem should celebrate the nation, its people, culture and achievements. Sadly GSTQ is not about the British people and totally neglects our achievements in science, sport, arts and humanitarianism. It does not celebrate or even acknowledge noble ideals like liberty, democracy, the rule of law and equality and instead propagates the idea that wealth, privilege and inherited status is something to be celebrated and cherished.

My suggestion is that the NA becomes a Royal Anthem to be played when Brenda is in attendance somewhere - a bit like the flying of the Royal Standard, which is otherwise never used. All the Royal fanboys can sing this to their heart's content - and perhaps even bother to learn the second and third verses that no one seems to knows the words to.

We can then adopt a proper National Anthem.
  • Options
    As a republican, atheist music lover I can say there is nothing in this song for me.

I'd go for NImrod if it was my choice.
  • Options
    Nimrod was a German.
  • Options

Nimrod was a German.

The original Nimrod was Mesopotamian, I think he was responsible for building the tower of Babel.
  • Options
    For football the anthem must be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_50J94m84
  • Options
    I've no idea who Nimrod was. I just think the music is very stirring. Aside from the music the only time I've heard the name Nimrod was referring to the early warning aircraft.

Perhaps someone could write some modern day lyrics to that tune taking in some of the points that BFR raised that are missing from the current ditty.
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about it from a patriotic slant, just a piece of music.

interestingly does that me it should never be challenged or improved upon or only changed presumably when lizzie abdicates?
  • Options
    Jerusalem is better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love it, leave it as it is

GSTQ
  • Options
    It's pretty awful, agree that it should be moved to a Royal Anthem with the national anthem being something a bit more representative.
  • Options

Nimrod was a German.

The original Nimrod was Mesopotamian, I think he was responsible for building the tower of Babel.
    Interesting that- thanks.

Elgar's Nimrod is a musical "representation" of a German friend of his called Augustus Jaeger who worked for Novello's.

Stig- if you're interested, Elgar set the Nimrod/Enigma tune to text in his later work "the music makers", but it sounds more about the "tortured" as opposed to "triumphant" English soul.
  • Options

A National Anthem should celebrate the nation, its people, culture and achievements. Sadly GSTQ is not about the British people and totally neglects our achievements in science, sport, arts and humanitarianism. It does not celebrate or even acknowledge noble ideals like liberty, democracy, the rule of law and equality and instead propagates the idea that wealth, privilege and inherited status is something to be celebrated and cherished.

Blimey, if we had it your way we'd be pushing Bat Out Of Hell for duration.
  • Options

My suggestion is that the NA becomes a Royal Anthem to be played when Brenda is in attendance somewhere - a bit like the flying of the Royal Standard, which is otherwise never used. All the Royal fanboys can sing this to their heart's content - and perhaps even bother to learn the second and third verses that no one seems to knows the words to.

Good ideas. To précis .. a National Anthem should be about the country and the people, not about one individual 'royal'.
    The whole concept of royalty in this day and age is ridiculous.
  • Options

Good ideas. To précis .. a National Anthem should be about the country and the people, not about one individual 'royal'.
    Yep
  • Options

Nope
  • Options
    jerusalem i think. as the national anthem of ENGLAND and God save the queen for great britain events
  • Options
    VFR
  • Options
    So the English National Anthem should be a song for us all to sing about our achievements in art, science, democracy etc as it doesn't represent England today.

Let's go the whole hog and have it written by a Somalian and make sure it heralds our multi-culturalism. We must also comprise it of 27 different languages to properly represent our generosity to the rest of the world.

We should then all sing it with our pants down and facing East.

GSTQ