Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you watch another football team when Charlton are away?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Did a lot of local non-league ground-hopping in the 1990s: Erith & Belvedere, Dulwich Hamlet, Welling, Cray Wanderers, Slade Green, Beckenham Town, Tooting & Mitcham, Croydon Athletic, Greenwich Borough, Gravesend & Northfleet, Chatham Town, Corinthian, Thames Poly, Darenth Heathside... When I ended up watching matches on windswept and desolate playing fields I wondered if I had taken my obsession a bit far.
  • Options
    A bit of a tart really outside CAFC.

As a kid I ground hopped mainly at Arsenal,Millwall,QPR and West Ham in the league and Cray Wanderers,Dartford or Welling United in non league.As I got older married with kids even getting to Charlton home matches became a challenge.

More recently since moving north of the River it has been mainly Barnet and Leyton Orient although I did follow Leyton FC who played literally at the end of my road for a bit until they went bust 2 years ago. Didn't go to the O's much when we were in the same division but went 8 times last season.

Disappointed that Barnet have moved further away but I will try to catch their games against Dartford and Welling next season.
  • Options
    I like to watch other teams because Charlton dont play every week and I need a weekly (live) football fix. Ill probably end up going to Brentford a fair bit next season when they dont clash with CAFC. Brentford are pretty good at doing deals for certain games too, early rounds of the FA cup is good way to catch a cheap game if theyre drawn at home. Went to the Brentford v Southend cup replay and it was only a tenner....
  • Options

Great thread. I have always watched other games until recently - Welling, Bromley when I was younger, then anywhere to see a new ground but a fair bit of Millwall with mates when CAFC were away, and later Hornchurch and Eastbourne Borough. Then Chicago Fire and now, now no one and it is really frustrating....

Nice to hear from you, ChicagoAddick. I've enjoyed two holidays in Chicago in the last ten years, staying with a ladyfriend who lived in Wicker Park, then Ravenswood, and now Lincoln Square. Haven't been to a Chicago Fire game yet, but will do. It's a great city; I love it!

The best kept secret I always say.

A Fire home game is definitely worthwhile. They create quite a decent atmosphere, although performances have been pretty dire in recent seasons.
  • Options

Great thread. I have always watched other games until recently - Welling, Bromley when I was younger, then anywhere to see a new ground but a fair bit of Millwall with mates when CAFC were away, and later Hornchurch and Eastbourne Borough. Then Chicago Fire and now, now no one and it is really frustrating.... </blockquote

Go on the Urchins.
    Went quite a bit 2004-2007 when lived in upminster.

• Options
    Having moved away from England I mainly go to Swedish games. Malmö FF, Halmstads BK, Falkenbergs FF, Lunds BK. I've been meaning to go to a Deal Town match some time when I am over in Kent.
  • Options
    I've heard many of the elder generation state how many used to go to both Millwall and Charlton and some were even season ticket holders at both.

I wonder if there is anyone out there now who does the same week-in, week-out?
  • Options
    When I can-which is often, "the other team I watch when Charlton are away" is whichever team Charlton are playing!
    I wish there were more of us though.