Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Phillips

Hate palace, but was thinking today he could lead the line in a playoff final 15years on from our 1998 playoff final with Sunderland. Who would think it a. I don't think other players from that final actually still play? 15 years on its amazing really

Comments

• Options
    He is the last man standing, I think only Jody Craddock was still playing until last season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bob22 said:

Hate palace, but was thinking today he could lead the line in a playoff final 15years on from our 1998 playoff final with Sunderland. Who would think it a. I don't think other players from that final actually still play? 15 years on its amazing really

Particularly at the same level,although the era of 3 subs has helped extend careers,

Last night I saw Damned United and decided to watch the original Austin Mitchell interview between Brain Clough and Don Revie on You Tube.

It was interesting that one of Revie's criticisms of Clough was that he brought Duncan Mackenzie whilst Mick Jones was out injured and didn't utilise midfielder Terry Yorath as an emergency striker,today they would be talking about burn out,rotating 4/5 forwards and impact substitutes.

• Options
    Incredible achievement. The only thing about Palace that I like, great players and seems like a decent bloke too. Come on you Hornets!!
  • Options
    player*
  • Options
    Those were the days. He was a dangerous player on that day in 1998. The fact he scored 30goals in the premier league showed his true class. Didnt Phillips start his pro career with Watford as a left back?
  • Options
    Leaving aside the obvious Palace problem, in many ways it's quite fitting (he's retiring at the end of the season) that his final game will be at Wembley, and against Watford, the club where he made his name.
  • Options
    Come on Rhoys be the next KPhillips!
  • Options
    Had a few defenders turn strikers back then:
    Chris Sutton and Paul Warhurst spring to mind.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Danny Butterfield! Remember that hat-trick for Palace on the box?

• Options

Leaving aside the obvious Palace problem, in many ways it's quite fitting (he's retiring at the end of the season) that his final game will be at Wembley, and against Watford, the club where he made his name.

Heard him say on radio earlier this week that he was going to play for 1 more season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

MrOneLung said:

Danny Butterfield! Remember that hat-trick for Palace on the box?

that was just weird .. I don't think he's scored since
  • Options
    Bob22 said:

Those were the days. He was a dangerous player on that day in 1998. The fact he scored 30goals in the premier league showed his true class. Didnt Phillips start his pro career with Watford as a left back?

Don't think so, he was a striker at Baldock Town, I saw him score against us in 1996 at Vicarage Road for Watford in our 2-1 win.
  • Options
    I don't like the fact that he's playing a former club in the final. Hopefully he'll end up as unhappy as 15 years ago.
  • Options
    Still have him at our place for one season
  • Options
    Management or pundit?
  • Options

Management or pundit?

Turnstiles!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think he's a better player in the latter stages of his career than in the middle. Peaked late. Probably why he was never an England regular or picked up by a top 5 club.
  • Options
    Phillips got turned into a striker from a left back by Glen Roeder when joining us...
  • Options

He is the last man standing, I think only Jody Craddock was still playing until last season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22567196

Announced his retirement yesterday, but you're right he didn't play last season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I like Kevin Phillips. Naturally I hope his old club upsets him at Wembley!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pilchard said:

I like Kevin Phillips. Naturally I hope his old club upsets him at Wembley!

He'll probably score...usually does!

• Options
    Phillips has had a fantastic career and clearly been professional and looked after himself well.

Would have loved to have had him with us during ours and his peak years, he would have.fitted in really well here.
  • Options
    last man to score 30 pl goals in a season.Last Englishman to win european golden boot
  • Options
    I wonder how many goals he scored against us, it felt like nearly every game he played against us up until recently
  • Options
    Back in 1997 it would have been more logical if we signed Phillips from Watford, and Mendonca (a Sunderland fan) joined Sunderland. Still it didn't work out to badly for either club in the end!
  • Options
    Set to retire after Saturday's game v Doncaster. Fantastic player, always hoped he'd end up with us at some point in his career. Let's hope he goes out with a bang and condemns Donny to L1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27193835

• Options
    Wasn't tall enough.
  • Options
    One of the few players who never played for us to get a round of applause at The Valley, says a lot really.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Set to retire after Saturday's game v Doncaster. Fantastic player, always hoped he'd end up with us at some point in his career. Let's hope he goes out with a bang and condemns Donny to L1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27193835

Indeed. But if not, might be good if he gets sent off for chinning the ref and has to be man-handled down the tunnel by burly shaven headed security staff, whilst screaming "you'll never take me alive copper!" Beats strolling round the pitch afterwards with a load of your kids in tow.
  • Options
    A real goal scorer who will finish a chance. Arsenal could do with him.